Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
2 of 2 < >

More Information About Africa

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Africa, check out Independent Traveler's Africa Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c..._new.cfm?ID=26
See more
See less

Is Uganda Safe?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Uganda Safe?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Uganda in October of this year. Could anyone share any of there experiences that have been there recently?

Also is the country's infrastructure (security) safe? I have received some mixed reviews about westerners travelling there.

Uganda safety

Not everybody's risk tolerance is the same, so you might want to read

http://travel.state.gov/uganda.html

and also the East Africa Public Announcement links recommended therein.

Cheers
    O.

Comment

Re: Is Uganda Safe?

Originally posted by viking76
      My wife and I are planning a trip to Uganda in October of this year. Could anyone share any of there experiences that have been there recently?

Also is the country's infrastructure (security) safe? I have received some mixed reviews about westerners travelling there.
      I am curious about your visit to Uganda! I have just started a program to send children's clothing and medical supplies to the largest children's hospital in Kampala. Neddless to say, I am hoping to travel there in another year or so to meet the doctors I am working with and see what our offerings are helping with. I understand the need is tremendous!
      I understand it to be fairly safe to travel there. My initial contact is a nurse from there who now lives in Georgia. She went back two years ago, taking a co-worker. I will try to get more information for you.
      If you wouldn't mind sharing with me, please contact me at MsRdhead1@aol.com Thank you.

Comment

Your safety is relative to what you expect overall the security systems are not as robust compared with most neighbours like Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania, People in the North and East are very hospitable by all means tho mostly subjected to military abuse andrejection by Government.

The central and Western population is good but unfortunately the element of expecting something for any service offered even if a single question has over ridden most personalities YES this is true as I am a Western Ugandan who spent over thirty years trotting this once Pearl Of Africa.
        I can access 80 hrs of Camera motion picture footage collected mainly in Kampala in case you want you could mail your address to me on kabkabsykes@yahoo.co.ug so that I post a summary CD about 1hr running time to give you a glimpse of what the ground was like in 2007. It may help in your assessment.

I have seen some westerners like your self feel endengered all I advise you to do is to register with the Embassy offices and deposit your Passports and return tickets for safety before you indulge into anything.

Other tourist information can be found from the websites.

thanx

hybrid 46

Comment

I am currently traveling in Uganda and have had a safe time of it so far. I have basically stayed in the southern regions of Uganda, traveling by taxi, boda-boda, and hitching rides. Aside from an accidental burn from the exhaust of a boda-boda, things have been quite safe.

All forms of public transport hold a small risk. Bad roads, bad vehicles, and as you probably know they try to charge travelers crazy prices, but you'll figure out how low you can push the price and hopefully get to something reasonable. This takes a bit to get used to but its usually not that bad. If they don't drop to what i think they should i just tell them its ok, and i'll find another ride. I often get a better price this way, or i really do end up just leaving and finding a better fare.

Best of luck!

p.s. I highly recommend Bunyoni Amagara on Lake Bunyoni, probably the most beautiful place i've stayed so far...

Comment

Yes its safe

Comment

I spent time in Uganda this past summer and found people outside Kampala to be very warm and friendly. I was volunteering at a school/clinic outside of Masaka and never felt anything but comfortable. In the "big city" things are a little frenetic and I found it harder to get a handle on what people were about. At the same time, I didn't have any unpleasant encounters. By the way, I'm a grandmother and while I travel quite a lot, this was my first time in Africa. I plan to go back.

Comment

Yes dear absolutly.

Comment

hi my mom is from east africa , zanzibar and i have seen and lisen many things about east africa....... as black people there are a main danger .. i mean not all black people are bad but there are many who wait for outsiders .. to take there money and everything..

Comment

Owen I do understand what you are saying about the blacks in E. Africa might ask for financial help. This can also be true of black Africans who you count as friends...and it's very difficult to blame them. It's up to travelers to be in charge of their own lives and simply not get involved in these situations unless you have taken time to know your friend and if you are financially able to help. I also urge people to familiarize themselves with the typical African scams that are out there. Generally, though, the black Africans are warm and friendly and we, as whites traveling in their land, are lucky to get to know them.

Comment

Uganda is a safe place. I hope you'll have fun with your wife there.

Comment

MORE THAN SAFE. I could send you a free DVD on one of the topics
                        1 Places of touristic Importance
                        2 Art and crafts in Uganda
                        3 Traditional food and drinks
                        4 traditional music and Dances
                        I could also send you a free info document about languages Uganda is the best place you want to visit

Comment

Viking how are u doing
                          Uganda is very safe
                          Uganda is very Ok

Comment

Travelling anywhere foreign in the world holds a risk it is not the environment you are used to, therefore you are a tourist and therefore more prone to things happenings.
                            But at the same time, many people travel their whole lives without a hitch, it is all about being sensible and sometimes taking a step back and think of where you are.

Comment

Leave anything with bleu calore,atracts the tsetse

Comment

Working...
                              X