Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
2 of 2 < >

More Information About Asia

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Asia, check out Independent Traveler's Asia Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=6
See more
See less

Where to go for a first time Asia traveler?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go for a first time Asia traveler?

Hi all,

We have already backpacked through some parts of the world, but have never been to Asia. What country would you recommend for a 4-week trip in january 2012 (keeping the weather in mind)?
    We are most interested in nature, wildlife, beautiful walks, .. but of course some culture and city visiting would also be in the schedule!

Thanks!

Re: Where to go for a first time Asia traveler?

I recommend you to visit Sri Lanka which is a small beautiful island. You can find many wild life, cultural activities, historical amazement and etc. And entertainment guaranteed in that lovely island.

Comment

I don't think you can go too wrong with Thailand. Last year over 15 million tourists visited that country, many of them were returning for a second or third time. From Thailand you can easily visit other countries if you want.

In Thailand you can take advantage of excellent transportation available. Buses, trains, meter taxis and discount and full service airlines also available too.

If you can enter without a visa or not depends on the country you are from and the passport you are traveling under.
      http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2491
      http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

In Thailand you will find beaches, national parks, nightlife, modern malls, hotels in all price ranges and lots of travel agencies for tours and plane tickets.

Thailand is popular with travelers who are backpackers looking for cheap hostels and street food all the way up to wealthy tourists staying in expensive hotels and everyone in between!

Up to you!
      Crazy like a fox!

Comment

Thailand would be a good choice. And don't worry about the weather so much. If you get some rainy days, you deal with it, since it is all part of the total experience. Don't be afraid to get your shoes a little muddy, or your hands a little dirty, and you will have a much deeper experience of the culture.

I myself went to The Philippines, for my first trip ever to Southeast Asia, and I have no regrets. There are cities full of cultural experiences, and some beautiful beaches, as well as a whole country full of wonderful, friendly people.

Comment

I will be going with a group to travel to Europe or Asia. But I don't know if Asia would be a good start for a beginner, because I hear Asia ( Japan,Hong kong, Thailand and China) would be a bit difficult and is more for an experienced traveler.

Comment

Normally, I'd suggest you include Malaysia, on the basis that it's "Truly Asia" But January being just about the wettest month of the year, with yearly flooding especially along the east coast, I'd try to go to Malaysia as late as possible, if at all.

It may be true that rain is all part of the experience, but I'm not sure if you still feel that way after 4 days of nonstop relentless rain, which does at times occur, especially when back-packing and it's hard to get warm and dry.

Thailand should be less affected by the northeast monsoon, so why not start there and make your way up.

Have fun.
            Bryan Norman

Comment

It depends what are you looking for, jokymancho. If you to feel like at home, with crowds of tourists every day, everywhere, I'd advise Thailand.
              If you feel like discovering something new, if you like to be just around locals, being warm and authentically welcomed everywhere, not seeing white skin for days or weeks - choose Indonesia - more Sumatra or Kalimantan even than Java. Up to you

Comment

It depends what are you looking for, jokymancho. If you to feel like at home, with crowds of tourists every day, everywhere, I'd advise Thailand.
                If you feel like discovering something new, if you like to be just around locals, being warm and authentically welcomed everywhere, not seeing white skin for days or weeks - choose Indonesia - more Sumatra or Kalimantan even than Java. Up to you

Comment

I think Pakistan will be better for you.Although they did not market their places for visitors but there are many things to see there

Comment

Asia is a mixture of different landscape. My last trip was to The Andaman and Nicobar Islands and must say, it is awesome. The natural beauty and the beaches are worth exploring. If you are traveling Asia for first time then have a tour of these Islands too. Before that I visited China. It too have rich history and many places to explore.

Comment

yeah Japan, Hong kong, China, Pakistan...

Comment

Working...
                      X