Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
2 of 2 < >

More Information About Asia

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Asia, check out Independent Traveler's Asia Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=6
See more
See less

Wildlife in Rajasthan (India)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildlife in Rajasthan (India)

Rajasthan is a colourful state of India and it is rich in culture and architecture. Rajasthan is not only known for its colourful culture and history but it is also known for wildlife sanctuaries and national parks.
    Rajasthan is also noted for National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries. There are four national park and wildlife sanctuaries named the
    Keoladeo National Park of Bharatpur
    Sariska Tiger Reserve of Alwa
    Ranthambore National Park of Sawai Madhopur and
    Desert National Park of Jaisalmer.
    Ranthambore National Park and Sariska Wildlife Sanctuary are both known worldwide for their tiger population and considered by both wilderness lovers and photographers as the best places in India to spot tigers.
    Mount Abu Sanctuary
    Bhensrod Garh Sanctuary
    Darrah Sanctuary
    Jaisamand Sanctuary
    Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary
    Jawahar Sagar sanctuary and
    Sita Mata Wildlife Sanctuary.
    There are a variety of wildlife species in Rajasthan, notably including the apex predator Caracal, Caracal caracal.

Re: Wildlife in Rajasthan (India)

My Handbook of National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries and Biosphere Reserves (Negi, 2002) says the following:

Jaisamand 52 sq km, established 1957 around Jaisamand Lake. Open dry deciduous forest and scrub. Fauna - leopard, wild boar, chital, chinkara, crocodile, many spp of resident and migratory birds. Season November to May. Stay in rest-houses and tourist hotels. Contact Wildlife Warden, Jaisamand

Important Bird Areas in India (IBCN, BirdLife & BNHS, 2004) adds a bit about the lake - one of the world's largest artificial water bodies (2100Ha), built by Maharana Jai Singh in 1691 to provide water for Udaipur. Forest was the game reserve for the Maharanas of Mewar. The lake attracts large numbers of coot, bar-headed and greylag geese. Long billed and white backed vultures also present. Other mammals include jungle cat, striped hyena, hanuman langur, sambhar and nilgai. Quite a few reptiles too including rock python, common krait and indian cobra.

Plenty of current threats and conservation issues - excessive fishing, pollution, invasive weeds, firewood collection and grazing.

The Department of Forest, Wildlife Wing along with Natural Environment - Education and Development (NEED) Organisation, Udaipur conducts annual trekking for the general public and nature camps for school and colege students.

Sitamata: 423 sq km. Nearest town Dhariawad (15km). Dry mixed deciduous forest, dry bamboo brakes. Also has only natural teak forest in Rajasthan. Fauna: Leopard, caracal (nice!), sloth bear, wolf, wild boar, chausingha, chinkara, sambhar, pangolin, large brown flying squirell, many birds. Best March to May. Stay in Rest-house. Contact Wildlife Warden , Sitamata Sanctuary, Dhariawad, Udaipur.

Forest has mythological significance; where Sita spent her last days after she was banished from Ayodhya by Lord Rama.

Problems include large numbers of people living within the sanctuary, illegal tree felling, poaching, disturbance. There is no mention of any organised tourism.

I can't find any reference to Gaib Sagar, which is presumably a lake, in either book.

I don't have any direct experience of any of these sites. However, we visited BR Hills in Karnataka a couple of years ago. That's a WLS and has an excellent lodge run by the same organisation as Kabini in Nagarahole. No permits were required to visit. When we were in Mundanthurai, (TN) which is also a WLS, we were able to walk in the forest accompanied by a guide and with the permission of the DFO.

So, I guess I would try to find the forest office first and see what's possible. I would also be prepared for disappointment and/or delays!

As you're not far away - we're in Exeter - feel free to get in touch if you want me to look up other stuff.

Have a great trip - perhaps you'll let us all know how it goes when you get back.

Comment

Working...
    X