X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one day in Montreal. Any ideas appreciated

Here's the situation. I will be in Burlington VT with my mother, who is 70 yrs old, April 7-14. We have one day free and she wants to go to Montreal for the day, basically to say she's been.

She was told it's an hour drive, but mapquest puts it at closer to two hours. If it's a two hour drive that's four hours total lost to driving. I guess my first question is it worth the drive? If so what would you recommend for one afternoon in Montreal? She enjoys cultural and historical things and things that make a city unique. She also enjoys boat cruises and those bus tours that she says give her a feel of the overall city. She gets around well for her age, just slower than she used to.

I've been told that entering Canada is basically a non issue for a US citizen. Is this true? I've been many places but never been to Canada and don't know the rules.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by sec; 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM.

Re: one day in Montreal. Any ideas appreciated

Hi there,

I checked Google Maps and it's telling me the same as Mapquest -- two hours. Montreal is a lovely city, but four hours is an awful lot of time in the car for one day. I personally would save the city for another trip when you can spend more time there and really appreciate it.

That said, if you do decide to go, I'd recommend spending your time in the Old Town section of the city. It's beautiful -- cobblestone streets, a nice cathedral, lots of shops and cafes. You can take horse-drawn carriage rides there, I believe, if your mom isn't up to walking the whole way. And I'm sure there are oodles of tours too; a google search could help you find them.

I have never driven into Canada, only flown. You will need passports, I do know that! Otherwise I don't think it's a huge deal. Will you have your own car, or a rental? Do note that not all car rental companies will let you drive their vehicles into Canada, so you'll want to check ahead of time.

Lots of luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Especially the info about car rental. I would have never even thought to ask about that. If they say you can't take the car to Canada I wouldn't do it, but out of curiosity how would they know?

If we decide to go we will definitely go to Old Town. It sounds very interesting. As you said four hours is a long time in the car for one day and if it was just me I would wait and go when I could spend more time getting to know the city. Unfortunately, mom has been in her gloom and doom mood for the last year or two and says if you're that close to something you should do it because you'll probably never get another chance. She also changes her mind frequently. One day she is all for something, the next day she may have no interest in it at all. So I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what mood she wakes up in that morning.

Thanks again for the reply. If we go I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
        I would have never even thought to ask about that. If they say you can't take the car to Canada I wouldn't do it, but out of curiosity how would they know?
        They most likely wouldn't unless something went wrong -- ie if you got into an accident or something. Any insurance you may have bought would certainly be invalidated, and they might have penalties as well, not sure.

Originally posted by sec View Post
        If we decide to go we will definitely go to Old Town. It sounds very interesting. As you said four hours is a long time in the car for one day and if it was just me I would wait and go when I could spend more time getting to know the city. Unfortunately, mom has been in her gloom and doom mood for the last year or two and says if you're that close to something you should do it because you'll probably never get another chance. She also changes her mind frequently. One day she is all for something, the next day she may have no interest in it at all. So I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what mood she wakes up in that morning.
        Haha, my mom is similarly mercurial! I'll be interested to hear how it all turns out.
        "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

Working...
        X