X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied Admission to Canada

Planning a trip to Canada? Beware -- if you have any misdemeanors or youthful indiscretions on your record (like that time you got busted for smoking pot in the 1960's), you could be denied entry -- even if you've been traveling to Canada with no problem for years. Get the full story.

Got questions? Think the laws are unfair? Been turned away at the border yourself? Share your thoughts here!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: Denied Admission to Canada

Boy, that does seem awfully draconian. But on the flip side -- does anyone know if the U.S. has similar regulations for Canadians? I wouldn't be surprised...
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

Just read the article. Very interesting. I found the bit about travel insurance exclusions especially valuable.

I do however think we need some legal clarification (unfortunately, I'm not the man for the job). If you ran into the strong arm of the U.S. law for something as petty as smoking a joint in 1965, and you've had no other run- ins in the proceeding 40 years, are there U.S. procedures for expunging your record (of course you can apply for "a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation" with a Canadian consulate)? Is it on a state by state basis? And if you succeed in clearing your U.S. criminal record, does this "international" record differ? Any legal minds available to help clear this up?

Cheers,

Wacky
      Last edited by WackyHeathen; 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Sorry, Wacky, I'm not a lawyer. Although I do play one on tv...
        --TinFins

Comment

Actually it does work both ways. A friend of mine was denied entry into the USA a few years back. He was ultimately allowed to enter after applying for a special visa. Here's his blog which discusses it (http://uswaiver.blogspot.com/).

Also, in some states in the USA, they are now going way over board on detaining and confirming even those with lawful entry (see this article: 'Terrified' Carleton student spent 11 hours in Georgia jail for minor traffic violation.

Comment

Hi there!!! I have a qyestion, what are the percentages of people getting into Canada with a dui in 1997 and a dui in 1998, both of which were convicted in 1999? My future employer is going to do all the leg work for me( fingerprinting, fbi background, court documentation etc) since I will be traveling a ton, and will need to get into Canada at some point. My employer tells me that after we send all the paper work in, it will take about three months to come back to me( oh yeah it will also cost me 200 bucks). My employer said Canada has been consistent with there turn around time(three months) with there decesion on granting a criminal rehabilitation, is this right...three months? I hope she is right , because I am set to start working for them Jan 7th.
            SOMEONE PLEASE HELP WITH SOME INFO
            Thanks

Comment

Hi it work's both way's. Someone i know was taking his family to the U.S.A. And denied admission to the U.S.A. For a joint in the 70's. But here in Canada you can apply for a pardon. Does take some time thought.

Comment

Australia will give you a hard time if you try to enter under these circumstances.

Comment

Canada is turning down people who have infractions like smoking pot on their record? We're talking about Canada right?

Comment

Just came back from a cruise to Canada and New England. There were 38 folks on the cruise (my husband was one of them) that were denied entry into Canada. They had to stay on the ship when docked in Halifax and New Bruswick. Some of the "incidents" were over 20 years old. Seems like the travel agents should be saying something about this when you book a trip. Ours did not know anything about the matter when we called she after returning, or at least that is what she said. Does anyone know if this same situation would happen with a cruise to Mexico or the Carribean ??? Thanks

Comment

GetUpAndGo,

Ugh, I'm sorry that happened! What a shame. I agree that your TA should have known and warned you ahead of time.

I don't know the answer re: Mexico and the Caribbean, but it might be worth a call to the embassies of any countries you're planning on visiting to see if they know anything. Good luck, and please do let us know what you find out!
                      "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

No, the US does NOT have such an absurd and draconian policy. Hopefully, the travel resort and other industries in Canada will put a stop to it. There's something shocking about this because it's so unfriendly and - well - un-Canadian!

If enough Americans who are NOT in this situation publicly declare their intentions to boycott Canada, this could have a major impact.

Comment

Originally posted by uptowndowntown View Post
                          Hi it work's both way's. Someone i know was taking his family to the U.S.A. And denied admission to the U.S.A. For a joint in the 70's. But here in Canada you can apply for a pardon. Does take some time thought.
                          Im from ireland and am planing to move to canada next year! But ive a conviction for assault (which im not guilty of because a guy beat me up and i tried 2 protect my self!!!) do you know were i can get information? it would be unfair if i couldnt get in! please help if you can

Comment

If your conviction was in Ireland, you may not be affected. The Canadians have signed in to the entire American FBI computer system, and are now being very rigid about admitting people. They were not like that before, but since right wing Stephen Harper took over the office of prime minister, much has changed, and not for the better.

I doubt they are doing the same thing with Ireland, but who knows. You can apply for a pardon in any Anglo-Saxon country - it's an element of English common law probably going back a thousand years. I had a marijuana misdemeanor in 1972 in Maine and applied for and got a pardon in 1977 because I was planning to run for public office.

Canada has a much smaller population than the US and hence a smaller economy, and I suspect that the people who own and run the countless business there that depend on American tourism will force a change. personally, I don't understand why Canada and the US can't do what was done in Europe and simply open the border and remove all the barriers. You don't have people from one of those two countries wanting to flee to the other because of a worse ecnomy and/or political persecution!

Comment

I just reread the original quote about the cruise to eastern Canada (unbelievable and outrageous!) OK, it is extremely doubtful that this would be a problem in any other country at this time because (1) Most other countries don't subscribe to the entire FBI database (2) Poorer countries, such as Mexico and the islands, need our money more than they need to show how anal-retentive they can be, and (3) I doubt there are any countries in Europe and most other places that would give a rat's u-no-what if a visitor had been busted 10 years ago for smoking a joint or shoplifting a CD.

To the cruise lady - I suggest you write to the Canadian Embassy and tell them that their country will never see another dime of yours or your family's holiday money! And if they "offer" you the option of paying hundreds of dollars to apply for a special permit, I suggest you tell them what they can do with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X