Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

More Information About the Caribbean

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to the Caribbean, check out Independent Traveler's Caribbean Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=5
See more
See less

Legal Drinking Age In The Bahamas?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Drinking Age In The Bahamas?

I will be traveling to Nassau, Bahamas next summer and a few of the people traveling with us will only be 18 years old. Does anyone know what the legal drinking age for alcohol is in Nassau? One person we came in contact with [who owns a nightclub down there] said that he has 16 and 17 year olds coming in and drinking all the time; this seems a little strange to me. Once again, if you know the legal drinking age, could you please let me know? Thank you.

DRINKING AGE

The drinking age in The Bahamas is 18..do they stick to it...that varies place to place. But to answer the question again the LEGAL age to drink is 18

Comment

Re: Legal Drinking Age In The Bahamas?

I am 16, and i just got back from nassau. I stayed at the breezes hotel and i was served drinks at the main bar all night. it was an adult resort so i guess it was not enforced. they did have age wrist bands but no one cared. no one gives a crap if you drink

Comment

The age is 18 yrs. it is for the Majority of time enforced. It does vary from establishment to establishment however (as whomever is doing the serving and how they are feeling at that time)

I live In Nassau and as far as I know the Major Hotels/Resorts do enforce.

Comment

I am 20 so of legal age unlike most that post here but im going down monday if i have to visit one club which should it be?

Comment

Originally posted by kevbo1988
            I am 16, and i just got back from nassau. I stayed at the breezes hotel and i was served drinks at the main bar all night. it was an adult resort so i guess it was not enforced. they did have age wrist bands but no one cared. no one gives a crap if you drink
            What did you think of the hotel
            I am really worried after reading the write ups about it on some websites

i am going in July
            thanks
            carole

Comment

Well, the U.S. Dept. of State says 18 be the legal age. And it also goes on to say that enforcement is weak and underage drinking is prevalent. Further, many of the arrests, accidents and violent crimes suffered by U.S. citizens in the Bahamas involve alcohol.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_989.html

--KimberlyB

Comment

when you are abroad, you are subject to the laws of that country. If you are under the age of 18 in the Bahamas and consuming alcohol, you are breaking the law, and could possibly spend a longer amount of time there.

Comment

Wow, 18. I think Turkey is like 14 or 15 isn't it. hehehe

Comment

Working...
                  X