Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
2 of 2 < >

More Information About Europe

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Europe, check out Independent Traveler's Europe Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=4
See more
See less

What Are Your Favorite Destinations in Europe?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Your Favorite Destinations in Europe?

There are thousands of amazing places to see in Europe. Where have you traveled on the Continent? Recommend your favorite spots to visit in Europe!

Related Story
    Planning a Trip to Europe: Your 10-Step Guide
    Caroline
    Assistant Editor
    Independent Traveler

Re: What Are Your Favorite Destinations in Europe?

I can't get enough of Amsterdam. I went there for a few days before the start of a trip to Germany, and I'm itching to go back. The gabled houses, the canals, the bikes (so many bikes) and the friendly Dutch people were amazing.

My one of my favorite Amsterdam scenes was that of a "party boat" of beer-drinking locals blasting loud music, and riding up and down the canals posing as tourists took photos.

Although I was not excited to go into the Red Light District, when I got there I found it didn't even look that different from the rest of the city. It was hardly as frightening as I thought it would be (granted, I went there during the day).

Comment

The Red Light District isn't scary at night either, for what it's worth. It's kind of like what prostitution would be if it were a ride at Disneyland, to be honest.

My favorite place in Europe is Paris. It's one of the most beautiful places I've been to and definitely the prettiest city I've been to. The mix of old and new architecture is wonderful; I stayed in a building that's older than my own country... how crazy is that?? And the Eiffel Tower is not something to be missed. I wasn't sure it would live up to the hype but it so did. The view from the top is amazing! I also really enjoyed Notre Dame (and the belltower), Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, the Louvre (I went 4 times!), and Rodin's museum. Highly recommended to visit in the summer as well, because the weather is amazing!

Comment

In a European backdrop most people prefer traveling to Germany, France and Italy. But if you want to get a touch of all then try visiting Switzerland. Itís one of the best places for summer and winter getaways. Where people enjoy every moment of life, itís the most amazing place in the world. Iíve never seen it but if I got the chance to travel to Europe, I would definitely visit Switzerland.

Comment

i have never been to Europe, let alone been outside Africa, I only know the countries surrounding my country, Botswana. I really believe I will one day visit.

Comment

Ooh, I have a lot! Let me see.

My two absolute favorite cities are Paris and Amsterdam. They're both absolutely beautiful, and I love all the great art and culture, and they both have a wonderful vibe (though very different from each other, of course!).

Runners up in the city sweepstakes are Barcelona (fantastic architecture and weather) and Edinburgh (gorgeous and historic).

Little towns: Eze village in the south of France, Burano (an island in Venice), St. Andrews in Scotland, Lucca and Cortona in Tuscany, and Rothenburg in Germany.

And I can't forget about the Highlands of Scotland, which are so beautiful and desolate.
            "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

You've left out Salzburg, Austria and the Lake Country near St Gilgin and Monsee. Also Middlested in Bavaria, germany. The most beautiful art on the buildings with the mountains all around!!!

Comment

Aside from London/Wales, the only other place I've been in Europe is Paris- and I could go back every week.
                I was feeling antsy about my lack of travelling experience, so I booked a last minute trip to Paris over the Easter long weekend (friends/family thought I was crazy) it was the best thing I've ever done.
                I felt totally safe being there alone as a female, and it was the trip of a lifetime.
                I plan to go back with my husband this spring, and I can't wait to show him my favorite spots!

Comment

My favorite is north Cyprus is the best Mediterranean holiday destination .North Cyprus is bursting with intriguing antiquity and a rich cultural history.

Comment

To date my favorites are: Paris, southwestern France, Carcassone and a little village of 650 persons, Lagrasse, Nerja (Costa Del Sol), Spain, Djerba, Tunisia, Bruges, Belgium, Prague, Vienna, all of Thailand - will report back going to Rome, Athens, Kusadasi, Turkey, Israel, Cairo, Greese and Naples/Pompei in September...whew quite a list, isn't it?

Comment

North Italy is stunning, the Lakes are great in the summer and the mountains great in the winter.

I think South East France is stunning, the Provence region is beautiful and the weather pretty safe in the summer months.

Dublin is a great city and often overlooked, great for a New Year party!

Paris and Barcelona 2 great cities and very cosmo if thats your thing, while London has plenty to see.

For me though, If i had to choose a favourite, I would say Paris, the romance and ambience is just right for a weekend break, plenty to see, also plenty of spots to kick back and relax. Would go back at every opportunity.

Comment

There are actually a number of them!! I really love Europe but Paris, France gets my top pick!

Comment

We once went inter-railing from the Netherlands to Vienna, stopping off at various places and taking small trains to interesting places, such as up the Moselle river from the Rhine basin, to Trieste. Loved Nuremburg, Salzburg, and of course, Vienna.
                          jocap.
                          Jo. sigpic

Comment

In my Grand Europe Tour, the city I loved most is Paris. Itís the city of artists and a place for the traditional foodies. Best city with a nice weather; whether its fall or autumn, it absorbs tourists just fine.

Comment

My favorite places in Europe? Well, the next place I plan to go generally becomes my favorite place for awhile after I return.

Right now I am in Christchurch, NZ. The last place I went in Europe (last year) was Finland.

P.S. Anywhere in France, Italy, Austria or the UK will do. Some places in Germany also do nicely--in addition to Finland.

Comment

Working...
                              X