Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
2 of 2 < >

More Information About Europe

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Europe, check out Independent Traveler's Europe Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=4
See more
See less

Favorite Spots in Ireland?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Spots in Ireland?

Hi all,

I recently took a trip to Ireland and visited Skellig Michael, a World Heritage Site off the country's western coast. It was probably the most amazing place I have ever visited. It is a barren island (covered in puffins!) that housed a colony of monks over 1,000 years ago. I had to climb 700 feet of steep stone steps to see the monks' ancient beehive-shaped dwellings, which are still almost completely intact.

Ireland is one of my favorite destinations. Does anyone else have any cool Ireland spots to share?

Re: Favorite Spots in Ireland?

I liked Hore Abbey, in Cashel, County Tipperary. Naturally everyone goes to the incredibly well-preserved Rock of Cashel, so imposing on its higher ground. The Rock is solid, but there's something much for interesting about Hore in its ruined state. There's no doubt that a mystical experience -- an old white terrier bade us follow her to the abbey -- helped consecrate my visit.

Comment

Does Northern Ireland count? I loved the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge on the coast in County Antrim. The bridge is suspended about 100 feet above the water and leads to a teeny little island with great views of the coast. Walking over the bridge was pretty scary to me (you can feel it swaying a bit and I'm afraid of heights), but the views were worth it.

Nearby is Giant's Causeway, which is really touristy but pretty darn cool.

In Ireland proper, I enjoyed driving along the Dingle Peninsula -- amazing coastal views. (Hmm, I'm sensing a theme in this post. )
      "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

I love Garrykennedy on Lough Derg in North Tipperary. A special something on a summers day.

Clonmacnoise further up the shannon is also pretty special as is Holy Island in Lough Derg....well worth a visit

Comment

Originally posted by Metravellongtime View Post
          Hi all,

I recently took a trip to Ireland and visited Skellig Michael, a World Heritage Site off the country's western coast. It was probably the most amazing place I have ever visited. It is a barren island (covered in puffins!) that housed a colony of monks over 1,000 years ago. I had to climb 700 feet of steep stone steps to see the monks' ancient beehive-shaped dwellings, which are still almost completely intact.

Ireland is one of my favorite destinations. Does anyone else have any cool Ireland spots to share?
          Skellig Michael -- sounds incredible !

Dan Howitt

Comment

Working...
          X