Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

More Information About Europe

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Europe, check out Independent Traveler's Europe Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=4
See more
See less

Favorite Spots in Ireland?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Spots in Ireland?

Hi all,

I recently took a trip to Ireland and visited Skellig Michael, a World Heritage Site off the country's western coast. It was probably the most amazing place I have ever visited. It is a barren island (covered in puffins!) that housed a colony of monks over 1,000 years ago. I had to climb 700 feet of steep stone steps to see the monks' ancient beehive-shaped dwellings, which are still almost completely intact.

Ireland is one of my favorite destinations. Does anyone else have any cool Ireland spots to share?

Re: Favorite Spots in Ireland?

I liked Hore Abbey, in Cashel, County Tipperary. Naturally everyone goes to the incredibly well-preserved Rock of Cashel, so imposing on its higher ground. The Rock is solid, but there's something much for interesting about Hore in its ruined state. There's no doubt that a mystical experience -- an old white terrier bade us follow her to the abbey -- helped consecrate my visit.

Comment

Does Northern Ireland count? I loved the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge on the coast in County Antrim. The bridge is suspended about 100 feet above the water and leads to a teeny little island with great views of the coast. Walking over the bridge was pretty scary to me (you can feel it swaying a bit and I'm afraid of heights), but the views were worth it.

Nearby is Giant's Causeway, which is really touristy but pretty darn cool.

In Ireland proper, I enjoyed driving along the Dingle Peninsula -- amazing coastal views. (Hmm, I'm sensing a theme in this post. )
      "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

I love Garrykennedy on Lough Derg in North Tipperary. A special something on a summers day.

Clonmacnoise further up the shannon is also pretty special as is Holy Island in Lough Derg....well worth a visit

Comment

Originally posted by Metravellongtime View Post
          Hi all,

I recently took a trip to Ireland and visited Skellig Michael, a World Heritage Site off the country's western coast. It was probably the most amazing place I have ever visited. It is a barren island (covered in puffins!) that housed a colony of monks over 1,000 years ago. I had to climb 700 feet of steep stone steps to see the monks' ancient beehive-shaped dwellings, which are still almost completely intact.

Ireland is one of my favorite destinations. Does anyone else have any cool Ireland spots to share?
          Skellig Michael -- sounds incredible !

Dan Howitt

Comment

Working...
          X