Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

More Information About Europe

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Europe, check out Independent Traveler's Europe Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=4
See more
See less

Ireland in April - Weather and crowds Q?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland in April - Weather and crowds Q?

I'm headed to Ireland for the first time March 31-April 9. I'd love to know what to expect in terms of crowds and weather from someone who has actually been there during those time periods or better yet, lives there.

I'm expecting very little in terms of tourists. From what I've heard its summer thats the high season. Can I ignore all the "the ring of kerry is a parking lot of tour buses" etc? Does anyone visit there early april?

I'm also expecting 40-50 degrees most days. All the things I've read say to wear layers, pack sweaters and I intend to do just that. But I'm curious if I'm going to need gloves, hats, scarves, full winter coat, etc. Also, do I need to bring rainboots, full rain gear, plus hiking boots? I'm imagining lots of rocky terrain and damp/foggy/rainy conditions.

Thanks for your help.

Itinerary:
    I'm staying at Adare Manor the first 5 days, and doing day trips.
    1. Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, Adare village
    2. Galway City, Connemara region, Burren
    3. Dingle and Ring of Kerry
    4. Cork and Kinsale
    5. Waterford and Kilkenney
    6. Dublin (going by train, so should see lots of scenery there/back)
    7. Dublin (drive to dublin, fly out morning of day 8).

Re: Ireland in April - Weather and crowds Q?

Ireland receives its weather from the Atlantic...it's the way the world spins...and like the rest of these isles, can be wet at any time of year. You'll be just after the spring solstice, so you'll have 12 hours of daylight, and the land and sea will be slowly warming up. At the same time, it can be really cold and dismal, but you'll probably have some spring weather, and things will be slowly turning green. The tourist season in Ireland and the UK doesn't really begin to start until Easter, so the crowds shouldn't be around; the downside is that not everything will be open. You'll be made very welcome wherever you go.
    Enjoy!
    Jo.
    Jo. sigpic

Comment

I traveled around Ireland for a few days in mid-April. Temperatures were in the 50's, as I recall, and we did get some rain. While there were no big crowds anywhere, we didn't exactly have most places to ourselves either. It was a comfortable number of people. But Jo is right about some sites (castles, etc.) being closed in the off season.

Good luck!
      "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

You wont be facing crowds of tourists like July maybe but don't expect it to be deserted either. The destinations you mentioned are visited all year round and I wouldn't worry about anything being closed. As the other posters mentioned the weather is changeable and it just depends on your luck when your there. You don't need to bring a full winter coat it wont be that cold, you'd be better off with a light rain jacket.

Adare Manor is amazing with beautiful grounds you'll enjoy your stay there. One other thing I'd like to mention is that your itinerary seems a little exhausting to me for example there is no way you can properly see Galway City, Connemara region and the Burren all in one day trip. Have you looked into driving times as well?

Comment

Great answers. I'll layer, but NO COAT (that saves on packing space, now doesnt it!)

I have looked into driving times and realize its going to be a bit rushed. The way we have it organized currently allows us to see the entire country (except Northern Ireland). If I have to remove something from that day, what should it be? The Burren? I have a feeling the Connemara and Burren might be similar to the Kinsale / Dingle / Ring of Kerry, and therefore might be skipped. Advice?

1. Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, Adare village, Rock of Cashel
          2. Galway City, Connemara region, Burren
          3. Dingle and Ring of Kerry
          4. Cork and Kinsale
          5. Waterford and Kilkenney
          6. Dublin (going by train, so should see lots of scenery there/back)
          7. Dublin (drive to dublin, fly out morning of day 8).

Comment

I cant say for shure what to skip, I guess it dependes on your interests. The Burren is a unique rocky landscape with many megalitchic tombs, quite different to Kerry for example. That said its also in the oppsite direction of Connemara so you really cant do them both in one day. I would also consider just doing one destination on day 4 and 5.

Comment

Thanks for the help. We're going to tweak the schedule a bit, but still see all of the locations on our original itinerary.

Comment

when visiting the Cliffs of Moher there is a choice of visiting from the cliff tops or there are several boat companies who do one hour tours of the Cliffs from the sea for a different perspective. Bunratty Castle has extensive grounds and if you ar interested in castles you can spend several hours looking round.
                I dont think you can do the Ring of Kerry and Dingle in one day they are probably a day each but they are similar both being extensive headlands with fantastic views. The roads are narrow and bendy and not for fast driving, better to relax take your time and enjoy it

Comment

Working...
                X