Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

More Information About Europe

For travel deals, useful resources, and trip reports about traveling to Europe, check out Independent Traveler's Europe Bargains and Features.

LINK: http://www.independenttraveler.com/c...y_new.cfm?ID=4
See more
See less

Arrivederci, Italia

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrivederci, Italia

Yes, Arrivederci, Iitalia! and I hope a presto, till later.
    I have been home now almost three weeks and often when reading one of the news items, blogs, etc. I receive in emails about Italy, I think that I wish I could see that or be there. I have lots of pictures to work on and I hope that I have succeeded in using a better system to keep track of where the pictures were taken. And, believe me, I took lots. I have always taken lots and lots of pictures from slides to prints and now to digital, which has allowed me to take even more. I now have to gave the DVD's transfered back to CD's so I can load them into my rather antiquated computer and see how good they are and how good my system is.
    I want to thank all of you who sent me messages to have a good time. I most certainly did. Though my feet have not recovered from the walking, I did lose 14 pounds while eating lots of things I don't eat at home--hard rolls with butter and jelly, coffee with sugar and milk, lots of cheese, lots of pasta and lots of meats like my very most favorite Italy treat mortadella. Now how to keep it off. We'll see.
    Also in going through some of the messages on the forum before and during my trip I noticed some questions. One person was interested in Venice and wondered what I would do. For that person and anyone else, my rather long trip report, Two Months in Italy," is now posted here on Independent Traveler. It is divided into secftions so it is possible to pick out parts. It has been well edited because I have trouble with the Italian keyboards that put punctuation marks where I am not used to them. So if you are interested in Milan, Venice, Florence, Bologna, Sorrento, Naples, and Rome and what I wrote about them, I hope you enjoy.
    And, please, if you have any questions, let me know. I will try to answer them
    Sincerely,
    Host Ciao

Re: Arrivederci, Italia

Welcome home, Host Ciao! I'm dropping a link to your trip review here in case any readers have trouble finding it: Two Months in Italy.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Comment

Yes, Welcome back! It is a great report, very informative. A great read to get an idea of what you can do in many parts of Italy
      JennK
      Independent Traveler - Community Support
      Click to email me

Comment

Welcome back. Time to plan your next adventure.

Comment

Benvenuto!
          So glad to hear you had a great trip Host Ciao, we missed you! What's next is writing Ciao's Guide to Italy! I wouldn't do it any other way
          Colleen Costello
          Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
          www.IndependentTraveler.com
          Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
          HostColleen
          www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
          Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

Comment

Mille Grazie Bonjour!. Don't know if I have the ambition for writing right now, but it just might come back! Of course, the ambition to return to Italy never goes away.
            Ciao

Comment

Ah, you just dictate it in between trips - one of those little hand held devices, get interns to type it. The world needs an "Italy by Ciao" guide, believe me Speaking of the ambition to return (which I so understand) when will you?
              Colleen Costello
              Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
              HostColleen

Comment

Can't wait for another home exchange in Italy. As you must know, my last trip was a disaster. If you don't, I fell and smashed my left upper arm bone, so there will have to be a "make up" trip. Last one was spent in the hospital. I wish all of you wonderful holidays wherever you go. Next up for me: France & Spain in July & August--2 home exchanges. Then Costa Rica mid-Nov. to mid-Dec. I also have plans for the summer of 2014 but I won't announce those until after I return from France & Spain. The home exchanges are in Toulouse and Salamanca. I have a hiatus between the 2 and will probably go to Barcelona for a week as well. Stay tuned.

Comment

I *do* recall the unfortunate accident on your last Italian trip requiring you to have surgery and be hospitalized; it was such a sad story to read but I do recall your saying that I think overall, at least the care was good - I think initially it was NOT....language/facilities problems but you were transferred? Nevertheless, this is what everyone dreads on a vacation and why it's always good for folks to know before they go about getting help if something should happen whilst abroad. You were down for several weeks, if I recall and had your arm rebuilt! We were all so sorry to learn of your injury and the loss of your holiday. Here's hoping for a forthcoming Italian exchange and all future holidays without incident!! Do mind the heat in Spain; my Uncle lectured there last year in the summer and while they loved Spain, the daytime 120 days were tough. Perhaps they hit a bad spell of weather.....but well, this is all part of why they take siesta!

Salamanca and Toulouse sound amazing!! Barcelona would always be fun for a week but perhaps crowded. I've just been researching, thanks to member Jocap's suggestion, "Green Spain" (Nature!!) along the northern coast and hence "Costa Verde" and admit I am captivated by all that I have read and seen in photos. Ocean, mountains, quaint fishing villages, historical points all along the way and it's just north of Madrid.....the recommended visit is Gijon, Oviedo and Aviles, at least as a possibility since the Asturia region is big but this itinerary is nearest a major city/transit etc. Spain is new to me, but to avoid crowds and to see such unspoiled beauty, I'm very interested in the Costa Verde now. From Salamanca, it would be a short trip to the Costa Verde! However if you've not been to Barcelona or just love it and want to return, then why not? As with visiting France and all it's regions, seeing it will require repeat visits and that's OK! Toulouse is situated in a region of France that is encircled by amazing destinations and the city itself should be incredible. So very exciting

Can't wait to hear about Costa Rica as it seems so very popular, not just as a vacation spot but as a place many folks relocate to these days! It sounds heavenly because it has culture, nature, activities and two oceans to choose from!

I just realized - you'll be speaking a lot of Spanish this year!! Muy bien!!
                  Colleen Costello
                  Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
                  HostColleen

Comment

Yeah, I am reviewing my very limited Spanish with Pimsleur. I just changed my trip around again because I got offered home hospitality in Bordeaux after Toulouse, so I won't be going to Barcelona. That will be another trip.

My arm disaster resulted in 3 operations. The first was in Italy to set the arm. The second was with a second orthopedist in the US to remove all the hardware in my arm. At that point the arm was healed. I used it normally, then just before I was set to go to Norway and Sweden on 2 home exchanges (with 8 people coming to my home, the fracture repair broke apart. I actually did the exchanges with an unset broken arm. It was uncomfortable, but nothing like the pain I had in Italy. I eventually went to a third orthopedist. I had what is called a reverse total shoulder replacement, but the surgery seems to have been entirely successful. That surgery had to be done as soon as I returned from Scandinavia because tickets had been bought by everyone for Australia, just before the arm fracture repair broke apart. I was told by the third doctor that these sorts of fractures do not heal well long term in older people.

Yes, Rome was a total disaster for me the last time, but the care was good. I was in a public hospital and emergency medical care in Italy is free. The worst part was the pain--which was unbelievable. When the fracture repair undid itself, the pain was much less, but no one wants to do any vacation with a broken arm. I went through with it because the other people had nonrefundable tickets. I could have gotten a refund based on my medical condition, but what about them? I just couldn't do something like that to home exchangers. So, I barreled on ahead.

This trip will be a small village outside Toulouse, then Bordeaux and Salamanca. Salamanca is supposed to be up higher than Madrid--and hopefully cooler. Of course, I'll just take a siesta if that's what they do. It will be the usual months of July and August.

Then I have Costa Rica mid. Nov. to mid. Dec. and Boston at Christmas (barring serious snow). For 2014 I have two European exchanges planned--in and around Krakow with home hospitality offered in Warsaw. That will be an unusual trip if it actually comes off. I will knock down dates next August or September.

While I will be trying to speak Spanish, I will probably get laughed at a lot because I am pathetic. I do speak French, so I don't really have to study up on that. It will all start to come back rapidly as soon as I arrive in France. Of course, the moment I get home, I will probably forget it all again. There is so little opportunity to speak French in the US unless you live near the Quebec border (and that is another kind of French entirely!).

I am more excited about Costa Rica than Europe because I have only been to Central America once--to Mexico on a tour to Copper Canyon.

Off to read Ciao's trip report. Italy is always good.

Comment

Working...
                    X