Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

Best Gifts for Travelers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Gifts for Travelers?

Calling all travelers -- what travel-related gift would you love to receive this year? (Something other than a free trip, that is!) Share your wish list here.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: Best Gifts for Travelers?

Besides a free trip, which would be the best gift ever, I'd love to get the next best thing ... a travel gift certificate! Sites like bedandbreakfast.com and hotels.com offer gift certificates for globetrotting loved ones. It would give me an excuse to plan another trip!

Also, I think a charitable donation in the name of your recipient to an international cause makes a great gift for travelers. Does anyone have any suggestions for international charities that they give to around the holidays?

Comment

I think aside from a free trip, the best thing I would like to have is a luxurious luggage bag. Its good to have a very nice luggage with my trip...

Comment

Well, since I can't get a free Italy trip, I'd go with a "Pacsafe" bag. Just like to be safe. Especially the type that goes across your body. Hands free and safe!
        “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” - Fitzhugh Mullan

Comment

A good camera :P or a big travel bag thats what I want beside free trip.

Comment

Metravellongtime asked for suggestions for international charities that could be contributed to in honor of a person. Here are some (certainly not an exhaustive list): Nothing but Nets ($10 buys a mosquito net), Mercy Corps which now has various kits that can be purchased for educational and other purposes, Oxfam, Doctors without Borders, Heifer International which allows you to buy various kinds of animals, Unicef which allows you to designate which country you want your donation to benefit. One of my favorite charities is a Christian organization--Compassion International--which is a child sponsorship program primarily but there are other aspects of the program that you can make one-time contributions to.The other charities I listed above aren't religiously affiliated (at least, I don't think they are) so if you are non-Christian, you would probably prefer to donate to one of those. I think they are all reputable charities which do much good.

Comment

Best Gifts for Travelers?

The best gift will be some which stays in our memory for long time like getting a gift of this Ten-Language Talking Translator could be a lifesaver because while traveling to non english speaking country it will be very helpful .

Comment

what about some device to kill time in the airports/trains/stations like an ebook, ipod, etc.
                s

Comment

hi solander.
                  It should be informed as killing the time is difficult and e-book, ipod are good solutions.

Comment

I love books and photographs related to the places visited. Mostly geographical history related to the places.

Comment

There are all kinds of things you could throw together for a thoughtful sending-off package. You didn't mention how he is traveling so I don't know how much room he would have to carry this around, but some small useful things for a trip might be disposable camera, a roll of quarters to use at Laundromats, gift card for Starbucks/fast food restaurants on the road, stamps and postcards to send home, small snacks, a pack of cards, mini first aid/hangover recovery kit (home made), a travel journal...

Comment

Good Holidays.

Comment

I have a Kindle 1 and just love it. Now, Amazon, has many of the Lonely Planet guidebooks available for it. No need to tote them or "throw away" paperbacks anymore.

I would like the new Kindle that has the capacity to download books from overseas, so I will never be without the ability to get US newspapers--or any others I want.

Comment

A real cool luggage (very light), obviously a nice voucher or a Eurail pass maybe?
                            For girls, if backpacking one of those small irons are a nice treat when wanting to look nice in the occasional night out.

Comment

A backpack style camera bag to make it easier for all day excursions with the Camera and various assorted lenses etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X