X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught In Mayan Palace SCAM

I just want to begin with saying that my loving wife and I exchanged RCI points for a trip to Mayan Palace Riviera this past April. We get there and find the place is stunning and the service is top notch. First day there we commit to the 1.5 hour sales pitch during what they call “buyers week”. Well, in the end it was 5 hours and a majority of the presentation was focused on how these units are investments and that they give you “flexibility” in an extra week to use as a rental. The rental income was presented at $1700 net income after maintenance fees were taken out. We bought into the idea….it sounded great. Upon returning home I researched renting these units and found that they rent for far less than they stated repeatedly in the presentation. I have obtained training material that Mayan employees use explaining in detail how they leverage this with vacationers, then skim over the disclaimer sentence that is listed in the mounds of documents. This fraud has to stop. I would not have entered into this agreement if they had been truthful about this. They describe the rental agencies as partners verbally and that you get your rental check quickly in 60-90 days, which is not true. They used scratch paper to show you the money you would make renting these units and how fast they would pay for themselves, which was untrue.
    There was no mention of any cancellation period during the presentation, so by the time we arrived home and called to cancel our agreement….we were told it was past the 5 days.
    I have called and talked with a number of people. To date they have been unwilling to cancel and refund our credit card. A complaint has been filed with the Mexican Government, Profeco and FTC.

If you go to any Mayan Palace resort, PLEASE do not get caught it the misleading sales pitch!!!
    Just enjoy the resort....

Re: Caught In Mayan Palace SCAM

To date I wish to retract all negative comments made regarding Mayan Palace. The matter has been satisfactorily resolved.

Comment

Could the person who posted their notes regarding Mayan Palace on June 3, 2008 and then responded on June 17, 2008 that they had settled their claim please let me know how they resolved their claim because my situation is much the same and they have cancelled my contract but have kept my $12,000.00 deposit and will not return it.

Thanks

Comment

We just found this web site www.TimeshareRevealed.com and it is too bad that we did not know about it before we bought our timeshare from Point To Point Destinations. If we knew all the facts instead of listening to their sales presentation, we would never buy it to begin with. We are very disappointed with Point To Point Destinations (West Coast Timeshare or PTP Destinations). We sent them the following letter but there was no reply other than a short phone call telling us that there is nothing they can do about anything.

=======================================

"TO: Point to Point Destinations / RCI

To Whom It May Concern:

Dear Sirs:

I would like to bring to your attention the following points and I would like you to address it to the right person to provide me with a prompt response.

I just returned from a vacation in Hawaii and these are my comments and concerns:

-I used my points to pay for a one bedroom in a “Gold Resort” category, Kahana Falls and to my surprise it was only a “Silver Resort”. I was not notified of the change nor given a refund for the difference in points.

-I paid a fee for the use of the condo at the time of booking.

-I paid membership fee of $118 August 30, 2007.

-I paid my annual maintenance fee or strata fee of $239 for the year, which is supposed to cover maintenance, electricity, power etc.

-Then to my surprise I had to pay another a fee of $114 for electricity on top of the regular charge for the use of the condo electricity at my check out time.

-By the time I was done paying all the fees for the use of one week I would have been better off renting a beach front condo for the same amount and without all the hassle of having to book 1 year in advance.

-January 1/2007 the fee went up from $239 to $276.25 this is a 17% raise.

-January 1/2008 the fee went up again another 12% to $309.

-I bought this points to ensure I could vacation in my old age as a pensioner. In the next 20 years by my retirement date this fees will be up over 320% or more? This is absolutely ridiculous and I would call it a s**m.

-I do not record voting or proxy voting to increase strata fees. Strata fee increases in BC have to be voted on by all owners.

-In August 2007 I booked another short vacation in the Okanagan and to my surprise I was not in a Resort, I was in a “Trailer Park”. There was no beach access and the Trailer park was located in a no-swim lake. This is not my kind of vacation resort.

For all these reasons I would like to have someone contact me as soon as possible to discuss the back purchase of my points or to sell them since I am not happy with the RCI system and is not going to be useful to me in the future. I am very disappointed."

Comment

If you have been involved in a timeshare scam in Mexico, check out these websites:
          http://www.mescam.com/FightingBack.htm
          http://www.mexicantimesharefraud.com/

Also, post a complaint at:
          http://www.ripoffreport.com/
          It's a free complaint forum that warns consumers of rip-offs. The Mayan has 7 complaints of timeshare fraud listed, and the El Cid Resort has 9.

Comment

How did you resolve your issue? Need help with ours. Thanks.

Comment

That is ridiculous I'm so sorry that happened to all of you, Thank you for letting the travel community know about it at least your maybe stopping some other individuals from the same scam. I hope everything gets cleared up with all of you.

Comment

How did you negotiate your settlement - wish I had checked the web before we left and got sucked into the same situation but in Los Cabos!!!

Comment

My wife and I have attended 6 Myan presentations in Puerto Vallarta over the years and have not bought in. I agree with the many other people that most of the info is lies or misrepresentations. We do the talks for the money, usually $300 dollars. The breakfast is nice, the resort is nice, both the Nuevo site and the marina site, and we just say no many times and take the money. Do the math...the studio unit was about $9500 this year (business was really down because of the swine flu and US recession) with $750 maintenance fee. But their is also a 1 1/2 times the maintenance fee every five years, so add an additional $200 to make it $950 maintenance. If you put the $9500 hundred in the bank and earned 3%, that would be $285.00 a year. Say no to the membership, put the $950 true maintnance fee with the $285 and you have $1235 for a resort vacation, then find one on the net from "For Rent By Owner" We have also done the presentation at Playa Del Sol, Vellas Vallarta, Flamingos, and some others I forget the names. Three years ago we did 5 in 5 days, always back to our hotel bu 12, and made 1250 dollars. No kidding!! Just say no!!! Also, we are members at Paradise Village in Neuvo Vallarta for the past 13 years and love it. We also are members at Bahia Del Sol in Nuevo. If you do buy, buy to use it and not to rent. You will never find anyone to rent your time for the unreal amount they claim, plus you have to pay upfront to even list your time with a so-called broker. More lost money. We have had friends and relatives use our time at Paradise, and 2 have also bought in. We think our original purchase of a timeshare has been the best thing we ever did, because we use it. The rooms we get at Paradise would be beyound our financial reach without the membership. This year, I told the timeshare guy in town I wanted the money up front in the cab, then I told the Mayan I was promised a fishing trip. Worked great. Looking forward to next year and another fun-filled morning at the Mayan, and $300 in my pocket. Just say "so sorry, I cannot buy into this place. No thank you...I must be going...thanks but no thanks....yes I know I am turning down much pesos in guaranteed rent, but I must say no...bye bye" etc etc. Do not feel guilty. Just think how you would feel if someone tried to get you to invest 15 to 50 thousand dollars here in the U.S. , after a couple hours of verbal yadda yadda and a bunch of words and pictures on a yellow pad...rediculous. But I would also add in closing that we have friends who own at the Grand Mayan in Neuvo Vallarta and have been satisfied. Remember, buy to use, do the math, say no lots of times even if you are thinking o buying to get a lower price.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up. My relatives are planning a trip there in Mayan, I will let them know everything regarding this issue. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Hi There, I made the mistake of buying a timeshare from Point to Point Destinations in Vancouver and I am very disappointed. It has turned out to be nothing that they claimed it would be. I have joined a group of others that are currently suing them. If you or someone that you know have also purchased a timeshare from Point to Point Destinations (West coast Timeshare) and are not happy with what they sold you or the way that they sold it to you I would like to help you to get your money back. Please email me anytime I will give you the information. timesharereturn@gmail.com

Originally posted by intheblue View Post
                      We just found this web site www.TimeshareRevealed.com and it is too bad that we did not know about it before we bought our timeshare from Point To Point Destinations. If we knew all the facts instead of listening to their sales presentation, we would never buy it to begin with. We are very disappointed with Point To Point Destinations (West Coast Timeshare or PTP Destinations). We sent them the following letter but there was no reply other than a short phone call telling us that there is nothing they can do about anything.

=======================================

"TO: Point to Point Destinations / RCI

To Whom It May Concern:

Dear Sirs:

I would like to bring to your attention the following points and I would like you to address it to the right person to provide me with a prompt response.

I just returned from a vacation in Hawaii and these are my comments and concerns:

-I used my points to pay for a one bedroom in a “Gold Resort” category, Kahana Falls and to my surprise it was only a “Silver Resort”. I was not notified of the change nor given a refund for the difference in points.

-I paid a fee for the use of the condo at the time of booking.

-I paid membership fee of $118 August 30, 2007.

-I paid my annual maintenance fee or strata fee of $239 for the year, which is supposed to cover maintenance, electricity, power etc.

-Then to my surprise I had to pay another a fee of $114 for electricity on top of the regular charge for the use of the condo electricity at my check out time.

-By the time I was done paying all the fees for the use of one week I would have been better off renting a beach front condo for the same amount and without all the hassle of having to book 1 year in advance.

-January 1/2007 the fee went up from $239 to $276.25 this is a 17% raise.

-January 1/2008 the fee went up again another 12% to $309.

-I bought this points to ensure I could vacation in my old age as a pensioner. In the next 20 years by my retirement date this fees will be up over 320% or more? This is absolutely ridiculous and I would call it a s**m.

-I do not record voting or proxy voting to increase strata fees. Strata fee increases in BC have to be voted on by all owners.

-In August 2007 I booked another short vacation in the Okanagan and to my surprise I was not in a Resort, I was in a “Trailer Park”. There was no beach access and the Trailer park was located in a no-swim lake. This is not my kind of vacation resort.

For all these reasons I would like to have someone contact me as soon as possible to discuss the back purchase of my points or to sell them since I am not happy with the RCI system and is not going to be useful to me in the future. I am very disappointed."

Comment

Originally posted by CLM View Post
                        Could the person who posted their notes regarding Mayan Palace on June 3, 2008 and then responded on June 17, 2008 that they had settled their claim please let me know how they resolved their claim because my situation is much the same and they have cancelled my contract but have kept my $12,000.00 deposit and will not return it.

Thanks
                        Can you share how you resolved this matter? We're going through the exact same thing. We were lied to over and over. We've tried to cancel, but no luck so far. We have a lawyer in Mexico working on it now, but it will cost us 30%. Thank you for any help you can give us!

Comment

Unfortunately, timeshare sales in Mexico are in its majority a huge scam. The OPC, the one on the street inviting you makes $250-$350 per couple...so be sure he tells you any lie there is. Timeshare sales people are rotating from place to place and mostly alcoholics that look for their 8% comission. We were surprised how they work, like sharks, and some are really good showing numbers, benefits, etc...If i did not know, i probably would have bought. Be careful and NEVER make a decision the same day!! They love this, just tell them that you need to think about and they will throw in all they have..that is the sign that someting is not quite right...

Comment

Please Help ME!!
                            I just got back from Mexico and made a payment to them on my credit card for 2,000 dollars, now of course after reading all I want to cancel this, can you be so kind and tell me how you got to cancel your contract??
                            Thank you very much

Comment

We hired an attorney.

Comment

Working...
                              X