X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveler Reviews: Vayama.com

Has anyone out there used Vayama.com to book a flight? It's a site built specifically for international airfares, and they claim to offer more choices and lower fares on international flights than other booking sites. If you've used the site, does it live up to the claim?

Check out Independent Traveler's review of the site (Traveler Tested: Vayama.com) and then share your own comments and experiences!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: Traveler Reviews: Vayama.com

Hi,
    I haven't bought airfare on Vayama.com, but I've looked for air deals on this site plenty of times.

I like their interactive map feature, although it doesn't help me find a bargain -- it's more for fun.

I also like that their fares are typically listed in roundtrip prices, and that they will find you the lowest fare, even if it involves taking a different airport or transferring planes.

I'll let you know what I really think when I actually buy a ticket from them someday!

Has anyone out there bought a ticket on this site? How did it go?

Comment

Do not use this service! This is not a proper internet ticketting website. It is nothing more than an old travel agency. If you are buying a ticket from them (e.g. through sidestep.com) presumably your entire reason for doing so is because you hate the way travel agents function. But this place is no different.

I have been trying to change a flight all day. I have called three times separated by many hours because when we first spoke they said that their "booking agents" were busy and would email me a quote within an hour or two. I have discovered that, in fact, there is only one "booking agent" on staff -- at least once you hit the early evening. So essentially, all they have on staff are a number of people to answer the telephone all funnelling all ticketting information to the one certified travel agent they have on site.

This is nothing more than a two-bit high street travel agency disguised as a modern travel business. Nothing could be further from the truth. Book with them and you get all the things you get with travel agents: delays, change fees, misinformation. As I say, do not use this service!

Comment

When a review is done of a site, a fair evaluation should be given. I went to Vayama and did the same flight searches done in this article. When I did the search from Philadelphia to Barcelona, ONLY when I specified I wanted Continental flights, did the "Train" option appear. Even then it was identified as the carrier on that flight segment as you can see from this:
        CO9468DepartWed, Jun 11 03:58pPhiladelphia Rail Station, US (ZFV)ArriveWed, Jun 11 04:57pNewark Liberty International Apt, US (EWR)Flight Time00hr 59min | EconomyAircraft* Train *
        Leaving the carrier option empty, I was offered flights using British Airways, Delta, and Air France, all using air flight segments for the entire itinerary. So this Continental Airlines option could only be gotten using the carrier preference option.........which was clearly NOT stated in your review.

Comment

Originally posted by MollyMae View Post
          When a review is done of a site, a fair evaluation should be given. I went to Vayama and did the same flight searches done in this article. When I did the search from Philadelphia to Barcelona, ONLY when I specified I wanted Continental flights, did the "Train" option appear. Even then it was identified as the carrier on that flight segment as you can see from this:
          CO9468DepartWed, Jun 11 03:58pPhiladelphia Rail Station, US (ZFV)ArriveWed, Jun 11 04:57pNewark Liberty International Apt, US (EWR)Flight Time00hr 59min | EconomyAircraft* Train *
          Leaving the carrier option empty, I was offered flights using British Airways, Delta, and Air France, all using air flight segments for the entire itinerary. So this Continental Airlines option could only be gotten using the carrier preference option.........which was clearly NOT stated in your review.
          Hi MollieMae,

Thank you for your feedback. I did the research for our Vayama review back in January and February, and at no point during my flight searches did I specify a carrier. I got the Continental/Amtrak itinerary when I left the carrier option empty. It's certainly possible that itinerary offerings have changed, that you tried different dates than I did when I was testing for the story, or that Vayama has tweaked the way its search results are determined.

Also, when I was doing my research, I did not get the following information that you mention: "EconomyAircraft* Train *" As I stated in our story, Vayama listed the aircraft as "Unknown aircraft," not "train." Again, this is something that Vayama may have changed in the month or two since our research was done.

I will take another look at the Vayama site and add an editor's note to our story as appropriate, if it appears that the site has made changes in the way it displays its fare results. However, our initial evaluation was fair based on the research done at the time.

Again, I appreciate your feedback.
          Sarah Schlichter
          Senior Editor
          Independent Traveler
          www.independenttraveler.com

Comment

Sarah,

Don't take it personally. The online world is constantly changing.

dh

Comment

I booked two separate international tickets with vayama recently, and overall was very happy. I kept "trolling" every website imaginable to find better fares for weeks, and vayama would consistently give me better prices and more options. When I finally booked, I saved almost $300 on a ticket with Iberia (Spanish airline) found only on vayama - not even the Iberia website itself had these tickets, or anything anywhere close to the price I got. Now, an additional boon was vayama's customer service. I had to call them twice to clarify something regarding my credit card, and the wait time was under one minute both times, and I also got e-mail clarification regarding the question I had. These days this kind of customer service goes a long way.

Comment

I used Vayama.com to travel to Japan last year and got the best price from them on United. The service was good and I have no complaint.

jachot

Comment

This was my first time using Vayama and so I was skeptical when I asked for a full refund. Technical problems with Vayama froze their system while processing my on-line payment. The next day I used the phone instead and booked another flight. Unbeknownst to me, or the agent on the other end, my payment the day before had gone through causing a double booking. It took me two weeks to notice the mistake after checking my emails more throughly. I wanted a full refund and made my case to an agent without much success until I talked with Beth, a Vayama supervisor. She listened to my views respectfully but also pointed out that a confirmation email (which I overlooked) was sent out immediately for the first booking. Despite this, she agreed with my premise that the agent, aware of the tech problems the day before, should of checked for a double booking. Still, Beth had to take my case to her supervisor which resulted in a happy ending. A check was written out for the total amount. While the entire process took two weeks, a bit longer than Beth said it would, I am happy that Vayama did the right thing. I will use them in the future not only because of their integrity but also for the fact they provided me with a fare price and schedule that others could not.

Comment

Hi Everyone

I used Vayama.com to buy my ticket to Japan on United. I left from Birmingham AL.-Ohara-Tokyo-Okinawa. This was in Sept. of 07. My ticket round trip in Bulkhead coach was 1,200.00 round trip. When I checked several times to saa if the price had gone up or down it was up. You have to count in the fact that I bought my ticket 3 months in advance which would effect the cost. The price of the same ticket went up to 1,800.00 that was the highest I found.

I really did not have a problem but then again I did not have any reason to contact them again before I left.

jachot

Comment

DO NOT USE VAYAMA!

If you want more details....below.
                      I believe you should judge a company not by what happens when things go well but how they deal with problems.

I recently booked a flight SFO-IST...their fares were competitive and I booked a fare $150 less than the other travel engines I had used before. My confirmation took 3 days to receive a little long but fine.

On my travel day, my flight was cancelled and I was re-routed through an extra city.....probably would have been a little painful but I could have dealt with it......HAD I KNOWN! The airline had contacted Vayama since they had not provided adequate contact information for me but Vayama had not contacted me (Expedia/Orbitz have a very good notification system in place...at least over email).

When I contacted the rep, she stated they were notified of the cancellation/change 18hrs before departure time and that my notification was in the line-up......they just had so many, it was taking time to get to mine. I asked her to clarify and she stated that I would be receiving my alert later that day (about 6 hours after my original departure time/10hrs after my new departure time!). She was not surprised in the least.

I would recommend using a different carrier. Perhaps Vayama needs time to grow into their service...but I certainly won't be using them anytime soon.

Comment

I used Vayama for my last plane ticket to Bangkok, and had no problems. Plus I saved over $100 vs the next lowest price I could find. I would not hesitate to use Vayama again.

For people who have had problems changing tickets and such, I would recommend NOT using a discount broker. Clearly if you are looking for the lowest price you are not going to get red carpet treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahS View Post
                          Has anyone out there used Vayama.com to book a flight? It's a site built specifically for international airfares, and they claim to offer more choices and lower fares on international flights than other booking sites. If you've used the site, does it live up to the claim?

Check out Independent Traveler's review of the site (Traveler Tested: Vayama.com) and then share your own comments and experiences!
                          The REAL test of Vayama is when you have trouble with a reservation. The individual people were all universally polite but of NO HELP. I got STUCK with a reservation (good for a year to a place I'll never go to again) because of their inability or unwillingness to give an accounting of what airlines I'd purchased tickets through. The response (after waiting for HOURS on hold on several days each) was that they would check with someone else. No help. Inadequate responses. These people should be shut down! Don't risk doing business with them.

Comment

DO NOT EVER USE VAYAMA. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, MISLEADING CLAIMS!!! I have NEVER in my life felt more defrauded. I purchased three tickets for a trip to a European country for my sister's wedding. Unfortunately 3 weeks before the trip, which I was really looking forward to, I was rushed to the E.R. for an emergency laparotomy. I was in the hospital for almost a week and then informed that for the next six weeks I was requried to be on bed rest. So, I now have HUGE hospital expenses, am losing income from being off of work, have lost an internal organ, am in pain and have a long six week recovery ahead of me and on top of allof that have to miss my sister's wedding. Could things possibly be made worse for me? At least, I reassured myself I had the foresight to purchase trip cancellation insurance through Vayama. What a relief. WRONG! Apparently, EVERYONE SHOULD BE TOLD THIS UPFRONT, trip cancellation insurance is an oxymoron. If your ticket is non-refundable, even though you purchased this insurance, you can not get your money back. I figured yeah, but most airlines charge you a $100 trip rescheduling fee, right? NOT VAYAMA.

Here are the listing of fees that they quoted me per ticket:

Additional Airfare/person = $516.00

Airline Change Penalty/person = $175.00

Vayama Service Fee/person = $100.00

Also, I can't get the dates that I needed for the rescheduled trip. So, in essence I'm totally screwed and am out THOUSANDS of dollars. Hello bankruptcy, good bye vacation. THANK YOU VAYAMA for being the WORST online travel agency on the FACE OF THE EARTH.

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!! THEY DESERVE TO BE SUED for at a minimum misleading consumers and in my opinion total fraud!!

Comment

Finding really cheap airline tickets online
                              Looking for a really good deal on flights? Here are some of the best strategies used to find really cheap airline tickets online.
                              1) Really Cheap Airline Tickets: Last minute flights
                              Often you’ll find really cheap airline tickets posted at the last minute. Airline hate having open seats and they will often announce a really cheap airline ticket deal hours or somethings a few days before take-off.
                              2) Really Cheap Airline Tickets: Be Flexible
                              When you’re looking for really cheap airline tickets the best way to begin your search is but setting yourself a target price. Once you’ve found a really cheap airline ticket, you should work your travel dates around to accommodate the airline ticket special.

Comment

Working...
                              X