X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Bag

Do you have a much-loved bag that's traveled with you around the world? Tell us what makes your suitcase, backpack or duffel bag so special, and help other travelers choose the right luggage for their own trip!

Related Story
    Choosing the Right Travel Luggage
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: Your Favorite Bag

My favorite bag is a soft, rolling duffel bag with six raised outside zipper pockets, although I often can't remember what I've put in each pocket (LOL!). Its extendable handle and wheels and light weight make it easy to tote around. It has survived baggage handling very well (so far!). If that sounds like a solution for you, you might want to look for a bag that has inside straps to keep clothes from shifting. Also, check to be sure that the area around the wheels is sealed against water seepage in case you have to haul the bag through rain and puddles. I had to seal mine and lack inside straps but the bag has served me well on numerous trips.

Comment

I'm a cheapie! I use one of those value sets of luggage that you can buy at Target (I think we paid less than $100 for four pieces), and I've done okay so far! I use the carry-on all the time (I generally try not to check luggage) and it's been sturdy and reliable for a few years now. *knocks on wood*
      "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

My favorite bag is a 20 in suitcase with four wheels. I can then put another bag or purse on top and roll right along. The suitcase will roll down a plane aisle the side way. Shoes go in the outside compartment. Underwear goes in the pocket on the inside of the top. Cosmetics snap on the snaps in the bottom of the bag. Bottom when it's standing up. Small items, scarves, earrings, batteries, etc go in the two side pockets. I pack only four changes of clothes, no matter how long I am traveling. One to wear, one to wash, one to dry and a black dress for evening that I accessorize with scarves and brouches. For special cosmetics on long trips, I pack several small bottles and discard the empties along the way. If I anticipate bringing home lots of goodies, I use a larger suitcase with four wheels and pack old clothes and discard them along the way. Chambermaids around the world have found used up clothes from me. No one will remember what you wear, so be comfortable.

Comment

I love the Rick Steve's convertable backpack bag. It has been everywhere with us for the last 8 years and is still going strong. My wife carries one also. You can see a picture of them on our blog (first picture in the southern italy post).

Comment

I have used many travel luggage cases and experienced that backpacks are always comfortable to carry for small or longer duration trip. Backpack is very light weight to carry and enough to accommodate travel related things. Among all other leading backpack manufacturer brands, I would recommend Briggs & Riley backpacks. It is extremely lightweight and easy to carry in crowded areas. It has outside zipper pocket and expandable luggage straps which is the best feature of this backpack.

Thanks

Comment

My favorite bags are my set of Heys luggage. Set of three in neon orange, got them before my trip to Egypt. Amazingly lightweight, semi-hard - they pop out when pushed in - with big wheels on the extreme ends so the bag never tips. I can spot my bag in a sea of luggage without having to mark it. I never worry about it getting tossed around, the contents are well-protected. If I'm going on an extended trip, I'll fill the biggest one half way so I can fill the other half with gifts and souvies. Don't expect I'll ever need to buy luggage again! And......manufactured in Miami!

Comment

Like Bob W., I have a rolling duffel that I like very well as it is light weight, holds a lot, and can take up little space when it stands on end. To solve the problem of the contents shifting around, I use the travel cubes and organize my clothes by rolling them tightly in those. Then the shoes and other items that won't get mussed up by shifting around go into the bottom with the packing cubes on top.

Comment

the lighter grey version of my Chanel tweed cambon tote
                  fire magic gas grill

hot tub

Comment

I am still looking for the perfect bag. Despite much searching, I have not found it. I do own a lot of suitcases though. :-)

Comment

I bought a great black bag years ago - it was on sale and just what I needed. Since I bought it, all my friends started borrowing it!! So while I have used it well on many trips, my awesome black bag has been more places than I have!! It has perfect space, inside and outside compartments, a thing that holds things flat (kinda important) and moves like a dream. It's in as great condition today now as it was when I got it, which is more than 10 years ago. Not bad for American Tourister!!

I have the best day-pack too but I can't even remember where I got it; it has traveled the world with me. Simple, durable and impossible to get into w/o me knowing it!

I kept a piece of soft side luggage for local trips only - using it overseas gave me blood bruises on my shoulders from the strap. Carrying it by the velcro wrapped handles works better and is do-able for short trips, door to door only!

The upright trunks I see in old films used by glamorous characters look like they hold everything!! Not at all in compliance with today's baggage limits or charges but then again, in most of the old movies, they traveled by ships! Equally glamorous, I imagine.....baggage and travel today? No glamour but they get you there with your stuff....most of the time
                      Colleen Costello
                      Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
                      www.IndependentTraveler.com
                      Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
                      HostColleen
                      www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
                      Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

Comment

I usually travel with my duffel and for several years now it has served me well. I purchased Eagle Creek duffel 3 years back which has some great features like two-way lockable zippers keeps away unwanted hands, its dimension are 16 x 30 x 12 in which gives serious space to pack all my stuff well for long tours, wheel and handle system are great for smooth ride. Also I travel a lot; it has never been a problem at any airport which is a major concern for big bags. It’s been a reliable and durable bag for me over the years.

Comment

OH has an enormous back pack, which has carried camping equipment in Switzerland, France, Italy etc....and also on expeditions at home...it must be 40 yrs. old, and it still comes out when we need to move things around.
                          Because he always liked to be up ahead, forging a path, the name "Karrimor" is imprinted on my brain, as that it all I could see of him as he waded on ahead....
                          Jo.
                          Jo. sigpic

Comment

My favorite bag is my eBags Weekender Convertible. This is a great bag because of the option of carrying it as a backpack, or shoulder strap. There are 2 main compartments which I use one for my clothing, and the other for my electronics. There is a nice "hidden pocket" for a notebook computer up to 17 inches. The multiple, expandable pockets are nice. This bag is small enough to use as an international carry-on, but big enough to use as a solo carry on bag. This is my go to bag, but I am considering buying a smaller version of this fantastic bag.
                            Buy the eBags Mother Lode TLS Weekender Convertible from the source - eBags.com. Quite possibly the last Travel Pack you may ever need.

Comment

Working...
                            X