Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

New Passport Regulations -- Are You Prepared?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Passport Regulations -- Are You Prepared?

Starting in January 2007, U.S. citizens will need a passport to fly to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. Is your passport ready to go?

This is the thread to post any passport-related questions you have -- but before you ask, you may want to check out the following resources on IndependentTraveler.com:

-General Passport Information

-Passport Applications and Forms

-Passport and Visa Expeditors

-Getting Your Child a Passport

Happy travels!
    Last edited by SarahS; 12-05-2006, 02:51 PM.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: New Passport Regulations -- Are You Prepared?

Thanks SarahS, that's some very useful info!

Cheers,

Wacky

Comment

Re: New Passport Regulations -- Are You Prepared? - help requested

I'm new to the site, but found your passport regulation post and hope you might be able to help provide some direction.
      I recently applied for my passport in anticipation of a trip to Ireland in December to visit my daughter who will be spending the fall semester there.
      I just received the confirmation that my passport application is in the system, but the way it was addressed to me makes me think they made an error on my name, and I'm trying find out if there's some way to get to them now to get it corrected, instead of waiting 3 months for it to show up wrong and then start fixing the error.
      I've looked through the Passport site the feds have, and don't find any link to information to fix an issue that's still in the application stage.
      FYI - The error is that they have my last name listed as both my first and last name, with the middle name where it belongs. IE; Smith, Joe, Smith.
      My wife applied for hers at the same time I did, and her application confirmation came back listing her name correctly as first, middle, last.
      Thanks for any help or direction.

Comment

Hi there!

May I suggest that you call 1-877-487-2778 and follow the instructions to speak with a Customer Service Representative for guidance, especially since the "confirmation" process is relatively new and meant to allay the fears of those waiting for passports due the lengthly process.

Laura
        Laura
        Senior Manager Community

"Montauk on my Mind"

Create your own countdown clock!

Comment

Here's something I just found out on the state dept website. The US state dept is no longer issuing 48-page passports (the large economy size passports). How inefficient is that?

I had to have extra pages sewn into my first passport - it took 2 weeks to get it processed. So ever since then I have been requesting the 48-page passport whenever I had to renew my passport. Well, my current passport doesn't expire for another 6 years, I only have 18 blank pages in it and expect to use up at least 5 pages by the end of the year. I was trying to find out if I could get extra pages sewn into the 48-page passport. I can - the state dept says you can have up to 72 pages, then you have to get a new passport. But in researching this I found out that they are no longer issuing 48-page passports. That means that if you are a frequent international traveler you have to keep sending your passport in to get extra pages sewn in. And it only takes 10 weeks to get it done! That's what I call efficiency!

Comment

I do have a question that I can't seem to find any information on. Perhaps someone here can help.

My fiancee and I are planning a Jamacia honeymoon in May. We've been advised to get our passports soon so that they are in hand when we need them. My question is that I can get the passport in my current name, but at the point of my marriage, my name will change. Will this create any problems? We're planning to leave on our trip about 2 days following our wedding. My concern is that my legal name won't be correct on the passport.. it also won't be correct on my driver's license or anything else until after we get home.

I'm not really sure just what all I will need to attend to and how quickly considering the trip to Jamacia. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Comment

Hey alterbound,

Your name doesn't actually change the moment you get married -- it only changes once you go through all the various steps to legally change your name -- which entails changing your documents. So what you should do is get your passport, book your airline tickets, etc. all in your maiden name, and go on your honeymoon under your maiden name. (Have a great time, by the way!) Then, when you get back, that's when you'll go through the oh-so-fun process of changing your name on your driver's license, passport and other legal documents.

Hope that makes sense, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!
              "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

Re: New Passport Photo Needed

Hi,

My daughter was 1 year old when she got her passport. She is now 7 and will be traveling with me overseas. She obviously looks much different now. Does she need a new passport photo?

Also, a friend of mine said that when she traveled overseas, she needed some sort of document from her husband saying that it was okay for her children go with her. Do I need something like this?

I am an American citizen traveling on a US passport. Same with my daughter.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind responses.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by odessa-angel View Post
                  Hi,

My daughter was 1 year old when she got her passport. She is now 7 and will be traveling with me overseas. She obviously looks much different now. Does she need a new passport photo?

Also, a friend of mine said that when she traveled overseas, she needed some sort of document from her husband saying that it was okay for her children go with her. Do I need something like this?

Regards
                  I believe a child's passport is only valid for five years, so it sounds like it's time for you to get a new one anyway.

And yes, if you're traveling as a solo parent, you're supposed to bring some sort of signed authorization from the other parent. Might want to contact the passport folks directly to see what form(s) you need and where to get it: http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo.../npic_898.html.

Hope that helps!
                  "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

Hello, well i have a problem where i'm stuck in Mexico without a passport... I passed using my birth certifacate
                    I'm 15 by the way
                    I don't know what to do and my parents arn't sure either, could someone please help shed some light on this...

Comment

Originally posted by aztec334 View Post
                      Hello, well i have a problem where i'm stuck in Mexico without a passport... I passed using my birth certifacate
                      I'm 15 by the way
                      I don't know what to do and my parents arn't sure either, could someone please help shed some light on this...
                      You may want to contact the nearest U.S. embassy and see if they can help you get a passport. You can use our embassy search feature here: http://embassy.independenttraveler.com/.

Good luck!
                      Sarah Schlichter
                      Senior Editor
                      Independent Traveler
                      www.independenttraveler.com

Comment

If you lose your passport abroad, do you lose your visas also? ie.. Do they know where you have been, or would you be stuck until your got a temporary one?

Comment

Always apply for a new or replacement passport when you do not need it immediately. I had to replace mine last fall because it was running out and some countries will not allow you to travel when you have less than 6 months left.

It took me only two weeks to get my new passport through regular service!

I didn't need it until January when I went to Mexico. No worries about getting it on time if you follow my advice.

Adult passports are good for 10 years. Since I am soon going to qualify for Medicare (and it can't be soon enough), it could be my last passport. I do not want to think about that as there are still many places I want to travel!

Comment

Originally posted by odessa-angel View Post
                            Hi,

Regards
                            Yes I believe you need to renew her passport. I traveled once with my 4 year old kid without her mom and they didn't ask for any written document stating that my kid is allowed to travel with me.

Comment

hello,

I accidentally put incorrect information on my passport application. I put the wrong birthdates for my parents, i know i'm a bad son..... but could this be a problem, and if so, what can i do to fix it?

Comment

Working...
                              X