Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

Lost Luggage Tales!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Luggage Tales!

If you've flown more than once, chances are it's happened to you -- an airline losing your luggage.

Have you had to buy a whole new wardrobe in Italy after four days without your suitcase? Have you been told that the airline has found your bag, only to be told the next day that they lost it again?

Share your gripes about lost or delayed baggage here!

Related Story: Lost Luggage
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: Lost Luggage Tales!

I've actually been pretty fortunate. The airlines have only mishandled my bags once (knock on wood!), and it wasn't too traumatic.

I was flying home on British Airways from Glasgow to D.C. for Christmas, connecting in Heathrow. Our flight departed on time from Glasgow but then ended up circling London for a while because they were having trouble landing planes in the fog (fog in London, imagine that). By the time we finally landed I was freaking out because I thought I was going to miss my connection -- and I very nearly did. (Cue much angst over possibly missing Christmas at home!) Luckily I managed to sneak on in the nick of time, but my bag didn't make it...not a big surprise. It turned up on the porch a night or two later around 2 a.m. All told, not too bad of an experience.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

Not a lost luggage story. A damaged luggage story. Without going into details, I think the moment the baggage handlers see a guitar case, they choose to knock it around as much as possible. Cracked the plastic almost entirely off the case at the bottom. And I could have filed a complaint and hopefuly received some money for it, but there was this Byzantine maze of paperwork and buerocracy (sp), and who wants to stay in the airport after a 5 hour flight for that?

This was ATA, by the way.

Comment

After losing my luggage a couple of times - didn't see it for two weeks the second time - I started using Global Bag Tags. I love'em and won't leave home without them again. They have an ID number on them, you register your ID number with the company, give them your travel itinerary, they store it in their database. If your luggage goes one way while you go the other, it can be sent to your current location or your next destination.
        Last edited by love2go; 06-21-2007, 04:40 PM.

Comment

On November 03, 2007 I traveled on American Airlines from XNA to LGA with one short stop in Chicago. Seated in 24F, I saw my bag loaded onto the airplane bound for La Guardia. Still, my bag, and the bags of 4 or 5 others on my flight, never found their way to the carousel.

I gave my info to the baggage desk and was issued a file locator number. I have been contacted once by AA in reference to my lost bag and have been faxed a questionnaire on which I sadly list items that I trusted American Airlines to move from one location to another and will have to most likely replace myself.

If AA willingly takes possession of my baggage, are they not responsible for returning it to me? Period?!

I have read many posts on the internet complaining of lost baggage and little to no compensation. I have added my voice to these complaints and will continue to cry foul for what's happened and AA's inability to locate my baggage.

I have a choice when I fly and I well intend to use that opportunity to fly with a company who has a better record for things like lost luggage and customer service.

Comment

I flew from Detroit Metro to Dublin Ireland with a stop over in NYC-JFK airport last fall. I was told in Detroit my suitcase would be checked in and I didn't have to reclaim it in JFK when making my connection, and I could get it when my flight landed in Dublin.

My flight from Detroit to JFK got held up due to "traffic" at JFK for 1.5 hours in Detroit then I was able to barely make my Aer Lingus flight to Dublin from JFK (the checkin people there understood that the delay from detroit wasnt my fault), and I was able to get on the flight without issue.

Once in Dublin, I had my carry on and purse only, and went to baggage claim after clearing immigration. My suitcase did not arrive, and I had to go to the airport baggage desk right in the baggage area to report the issue. The lady was very understanding when I explained my first leg of flight had a hold up before arriving in NYC. She said my bag would have been placed on the next flight due in later that day. She gave me a form to complete - it asked for my final destination city, hotel, and phone #. I pulled out my hotel confirmation papers & the lady commented i was very organized *lol*. She said the bag would be delivered at their expense to my hotel in Belfast Northern Ireland. I made my way to the coach to Belfast and was there before 10 am. The bag made it to my hotel by 6 or 7pm that evening after a few phone calls my best friend made for me to check on things.

Good thing, going home was alot better - no delay of baggage and i was able to claim my suitcase in Chicago then Detroit on the way back from Dublin!!!

Comment

OK, so I was bitten by the lost baggage bug! Just want to share a few things that would have been nice to know beforehand. First, go directly to the claim office and MAKE SURE they put your information in the computer. A paper claim will be delayed and therefore could possibly miss crucial opportunities to find luggage. Also, they will have no record of your claim until it hits the computer (at least in my experience). Secondly, once the baggage has been determined to be lost and you now must complete a Property Loss Claim Form, be aware that the airlines will ask for a "new" cost and thus will depreciate the value of your items. My claim was depreciated by 20%!! Lastly, if you travel on business or pleasure frequently, its a good idea to keep purchase receipts for clothing, luggage etc. as those WILL be useful in submitting a claim. In my situation, items over $100 had to be accompanied by a receipt to be valid.

Good Luck!

Comment

pwodock or anyone else who can help.

I traveled to Germany via Heathrow in late Jan and British Airways lost my luggage on the way. I had to purchase one set of clothing in Germany since I was on business and my luggage did not turn up for two days. I have submitted a claim twice with BA with no reply. I have found no way to talk to a person at BA about this. They make it impossible to reach someone. Do you know of any way to get in direct touch? Any special phone number or executive e-mail address that I could take my claim to directly? I heard there are web sites out there that have this type of information for unhappy customers.

The rest of my experience with BA was very good and I would travel with them in the future if this issue could be resolved. If not they lost a customer for life and I will reccomend that others avoid them when traveling.

You can e-mail me directly at mblepage@cvs.com Thank you for any help you can proivde. Mikel

Comment

AA lost my bag in December, 2007, denied my claim in March, 2008 and yesterday a small claims court awarded me a judgement of $3740. I advise everyone to go to small claims court. if you have half a brain and are prepared, you will win.

Comment

Originally posted by traveling savta View Post
                    AA lost my bag in December, 2007, denied my claim in March, 2008 and yesterday a small claims court awarded me a judgement of $3740. I advise everyone to go to small claims court. if you have half a brain and are prepared, you will win.
                    Where did you go to small claims court? Your home town? The reason I ask is I am from Canada and had my luggage lost by AA and recieved no compensation. I am going back to the US in October, so was wondering if I could do this in Pheonix even though my luggage was lost from a flight from Toronto to Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by pixeljuice View Post
                      On November 03, 2007 I traveled on American Airlines from XNA to LGA with one short stop in Chicago. Seated in 24F, I saw my bag loaded onto the airplane bound for La Guardia. Still, my bag, and the bags of 4 or 5 others on my flight, never found their way to the carousel.

I gave my info to the baggage desk and was issued a file locator number. I have been contacted once by AA in reference to my lost bag and have been faxed a questionnaire on which I sadly list items that I trusted American Airlines to move from one location to another and will have to most likely replace myself.

If AA willingly takes possession of my baggage, are they not responsible for returning it to me? Period?!

I have read many posts on the internet complaining of lost baggage and little to no compensation. I have added my voice to these complaints and will continue to cry foul for what's happened and AA's inability to locate my baggage.

I have a choice when I fly and I well intend to use that opportunity to fly with a company who has a better record for things like lost luggage and customer service.
                      Wow, same thing happened to me in October 2007. Went through the same thing with AA and still nothing. Even had a lawyer write them a letter and still no response from AA...I will consider the post by the guy who said he took them to small claims court..

I just can't comprehend or get over the fact that an Airlines can just walk away from losing your luggage. It eats at me everyday. The total cost of items in my oversized bag, which I paid extra for the size and weight, was over $5000...I will keep trying until I get something in return. A friend of mine received 4 free flight passes just for an overbooked flight that he was asked to wait until the next day for. So I can't fathom not being compensated for lost luggage......
                      Last edited by KillerBee11; 08-03-2008, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerBee11 View Post
                        Where did you go to small claims court? Your home town? The reason I ask is I am from Canada and had my luggage lost by AA and recieved no compensation. I am going back to the US in October, so was wondering if I could do this in Pheonix even though my luggage was lost from a flight from Toronto to Texas.
                        I went to court in my hometown, my final destination. I don't know Canadian law, but in the US, you may file in any city where the airline does business.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by traveling savta View Post
                            I went to court in my hometown, my final destination. I don't know Canadian law, but in the US, you may file in any city where the airline does business.
                            thanks, I'll give a try when I get back to the US

Comment

Originally posted by davidhussey View Post
                              Best of luck to you. If you do have success please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X