Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

Sundance Vacations - Spirit Incentives

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundance Vacations - Spirit Incentives

I received the certificate after attending a Sundance Vacations meeting (supposed to be 60 min and took almost 2 hrs). The certificate is for 3days/2nights at 3 locations including roundtrip air fare. I activated the certificate from Sundance Vacations and sent the $50.00 “good faith deposit” via certified mail with return receipt. They’re really smart because they don’t sign the return receipt they just punch it. So I received another letter asking for the traveling dates. Selected the traveling dates and sent it back to them. Then received another letter telling me that the dates weren’t in chronological order (a lot of bs to let time pass by). Sent them back the dates in chronological order. I received another letter asking me if I wanted to continue with the second and third travel dates since the FIRST one is NEVER AVAILABLE (but when you call the hotels they have plenty of rooms available). Marked yes and sent it back. Then I received yet another letter telling me that the SECOND DATE wasn’t available so I marked yes on the third date and sent it back 03/02/07. Didn’t receive any other letter until 8/27/07 (date on the letter but it was received on 9/12/07) telling me that they were in the final booking stages of my “promotional travel” and to send a payment of $29.25 for the taxes and fees. I sent the payment on 09/16/07.

I have been calling this people since the first letter overall I have called them more than 47 times in a 10 month period. I sent my third and last travel date and I haven’t received any letter or call to confirm my reservation. I’m waiting until 9am to call them very very very MAD. Last time I called they told me that the processing department had my documents and should contact me soon. Now they tell me that since I didn’t use my certificate in time that it has expired but they cashed the check for the taxes and fees weeks ago. That’s a rip-off, but that’s not the worst of it because I purchased the Sundance Vacations plan and after carefully reading all the fine print it says:

You may assist our Vacation Fulfillment/Reservations department by being as flexible as possible with your desired vacation area and dates. Provide a total of 3 areas and/or 3 dates: The 3 vacation areas may have the same travel dates, or the 3 travel dates may all be for the same desired vacation area. Reservation Requests must be received at least 90 days in advance for peak season requests and 180 days in advance for holiday or special event times. Summer travel is defined as the dates between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Almost all dates qualify as peak travel so requests are typically 90 to 180 days in advance.”

“3 vacation areas may have the same travel dates, or the 3 travel dates may all be for the same desired vacation area.” That’s a choice?

It says a lot more but what it means is that I don’t pick where and when I vacation, but rather Sundance Vacations does based on “availability” as it says in the contract. Oh, it all seems legal alright, but it sure as hell isn’t honest and ethical because had that been explained to me I never would have bought into their bs. I know, I should have read the contract, (some 10-15 pages of stuff and other forms they ask you to sign) better yet I should have just stuck to my guns and said NO!

I’m going to take this further so I have been researching Sundance Vacations and I found all kinds of stuff about them all over the Internet like Scam.com; http://scam.com/showthread.php?t=18911
    and Rip-off Report.com http://www.ripoffreport.com/viewsimilar.asp?q5=Sundance%20Vacations&ref=264243

I also found an article in Wikipedia about Sundance Vacations and it seems to be very well researched and documented.

http://streettalkblog.com/?p=1860 - more-1860

http://*******.com/y8q5yf

Re: Sundance Vacations - Spirit Incentives

TommyD,
    Hi, I read your post about Spirit Incentives and Sundance Vacations. I am the Communications Director of Sundance and I'm sure we can help you. Please call me at 1.800.220.9400 ext. 1130, or email me at komara@vacmail.com so I can assist you with both the promotional trip and your concerns about the program. We will do whatever it takes to make sure you are satisfied. Thanks, Kathy

Comment

Hi TommyD:

WOW -- you've written 47 times in 10 months!

I see that you've received a "request" from Sundance Vacations to contact them. A bit of advice: take care when 'sharing' your personal information -- verify that this person is exactly who she says she is!

We hope you will return to the forum and let us all know the outcome of this. We want to know!

Thanks,

Laura
      Last edited by Up4Travel; 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM.
      Laura
      Senior Manager Community

"Montauk on my Mind"

Create your own countdown clock!

Comment

Sundance Vacations. Here are the facts!

There are various packages but initially Sundance offers you 30 vacations (basically one per year for 30 years) for $15,000, $12,000 if you purchase that day only. Financing is available at approximately a 16.7% interest rate. Although financing is for 84 months (7 years) the Sundance contract is a 30-year commitment. Sundance Vacations spiel is that 30 weekly vacations, at $12,000, is equal to $400 per vacation, but let’s do the math:

Initial down payment of $2,400. = $2,400
        $195 per month for 84 months.
        (Financing the $9,600 balance) = $16,380
        $339 annual membership fee x 30 years. = $10,170
        $99.00 per week reservation fee x 30 weeks = $2,970
        $30.00 per night peak travel time upgrade.
        $30.00 per night x 7 nights = $210 per week.
        (39 of the 52 yearly weeks are peak travel time.)
        $210 per week peak travel time x 30 weeks = $6,300

That’s a total of $38,220 for 30 vacations or $1,274 per week and they are one bedroom accommodations because two bedrooms require another $210.00 per week upgrade. That would then equal $1,484 per week and that does not include meals, air fare, transfers to and from the airport, local taxes, on-site amenities, maid service, gratuities, etc.

All of the above ancillary fees are detailed in the Sundance Vacations contract. The minimum $1,274 per week is more than 3 times the $400.00 per week that Sundance suggests. In addition, with the exception of the initial purchase price, all the ancillary fees (yearly maintenance fees, weekly reservation fees, peak travel time upgrades, local taxes, etc.) are subject to increase as detailed in the Sundance Vacations contract. Also in the contract are very specific and burdensome requirements for booking vacations, quoting from that contract:

You may assist our Vacation Fulfillment/Reservations department by being as flexible as possible with your desired vacation area and dates. Provide a total of 3 areas and/or 3 dates: The 3 vacation areas may have the same travel dates, or the 3 travel dates may all be for the same desired vacation area. Reservation Requests must be received at least 90 days in advance for peak season requests and 180 days in advance for holiday or special event times. Summer travel is defined as the dates between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Almost all dates qualify as peak travel so requests are typically 90 to 180 days in advance.”

$1,274 to $1,484 per vacation week (accommodations only) 90 to 180 days advanced written request with no guarantee that you’ll get the vacation time and place that you choose because all requests are based on “availability” as detailed in the Sundance Vacations contract. Is that a good deal? You be the judge.

Comment

John B,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We appreciate your efforts in trying to figure out the cost of the vacation program. Our customer service department would like to help you with this. The goal of our company is to ensure every clients happiness. Please call 1-888-257-8400, and someone will assist you with this and any questions or concerns you may have.

Thank You,
          Sundance Vacations
          Communications Director
          pr@vacmail.com
          Last edited by Sundance Vacations; 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Sundance Vacations

The forum notified me that there was a response to my post.

No thank you I do not need any help. After carefully reading all the fine print and doing the real math I canceled my contract. Had the sales person explained all the details and ancillary costs I would not have become a member in the first place, but I guess that’s what sales persons do, skirt the unattractive terms and conditions.

The bottom line is $1,284 - $1,484 per week with 90-180 days advanced written notice and no guarantee that I‘ll get my choice of vacation time or place because every request is based upon “availability” as detailed in the Sundance contract. I personally do not think that is a bargain by any stretch of the imagination, but to each their own.

Comment

I was wondering how did you get out of the contract?

Comment

My spouse and I attended a Sundance Vacations sales presentation although the telemarketers' first assurance was that "we're not trying to sell you anything." The sales presentation is extremely well done and so we foolishly purchased a membership.

It all sounds so good until you actually try to use the vacations. Those 3 dates and 3 areas requirement and the 90-180 days advanced notice makes the program impractical because of all the hoops you have to jump through to use it and every request is based on "availability." With all those restrictive conditions it's just not worth it, at least it wasn't to us.

We were very dissatisfied so I started to do some research (should have done it before we went to the Sundance sales office). Other than Sundance Vacations own websites, just about every comment I read on the Internet was similar to what happened to us. Another remarkable fact that I noticed during my research is that Sundance Vacations has about 20 different websites many of them saying the same exact things. I got the distinct impression that Sundance Vacations is attempting to drown-out any other websites that may reflect any negative comments about the company. But the negative stories persist and are all the same, from the sweepstakes entry practices to the office visit and ultimate attempts to actually use the program when and where WE wanted to vacation, not a Hobson's choice.

After the purchase they give you about a dozen documents to sign and you're supposed to read all the pages. But you place your trust in the sales person who was very skilled at making things sound better than they really are. For example we were told that there would be a "$30.00 upgrade" for peak travel time. Sounds reasonable, but what we were NOT TOLD was that the "$30.00 upgrade" is PER DAY ($210.00 extra for the week) and that peak travel time is 75% of the year (another "$30.00 upgrade" PER DAY) and that request also is based on "availability" as Sundance politely but very readily reminded me when I called customer service.

The Sundance sales pitch brags about all the awards they received, which was also very impressive. But Google not only lead me to this website/thread, (which remains on the first page of Google) but also to a website that thoroughly investigated one of those awards and here's the actual article that I read. Sundance Awards Story! What was most interesting is that the article was prompted by Sundance Vacations bragging to the editor of that website as the author states in the first sentence of the article.

If you do diligent research you can get a much better deal from almost any retail travel agent and you can go where you want when you want because there's no "availability" catch 22 to overcome. In fact, this website (Independent Traveler.com) offers many good vacation deals.

By-the-way, the free trip? That's as difficult to use as are the vacation weeks that you buy so I just gave up trying. Same gimmick, 3 dates and 3 places with lots of blackout dates and other impractical restrictions.

Fortunately after much haggling we were able to get out of our Sundance contract but we still lost a lot of our hard earned money because they would not give us any refunds they just agreed to cancel our contract. (I indicated that I would file a complaint with the Attorney General's office due to misrepresentation and that obviously grabbed their attention.)

After all is said and done, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Comment

Theresa,
                  I am sorry to hear about your experience with Sundance Vacations. After extensive research in our database we were not able to find any information on your package or your cancel. Our customer service department would like to help resolve any issue you may have with Sundance Vacations. The goal of our company is to ensure every clients happiness. Please call 1-888-257-8400, and someone will assist you with this and any questions or concerns you may have.

Thank you,
                  Communications Director
                  Sundance Vacations
                  pr@vacmail.com

Comment

I haven’t visited this cite since my original post so I will answer the Sundance Vacations question but with the right size lettering this time.

My middle name is Theresa so an “extensive research” of your database would be futile with such scanty information. Due to identity theft I doubt that anyone would put personally identifying information on the Internet so I used my middle name. I just wanted to share my personal experience (while messing up the print size) with others that may be interested. That’s what this website is all about.

Now I have a question for Sundance. Why? Why would the communications director ask anyone to call customer service to “resolve any issue” after they have cancelled their contract? I personally want nothing more to do with Sundance Vacations and I made that clear in my haggling with customer service (and in my first post) when they begrudgingly let me out of my contract because of my stated intent to contact the Attorney General’s office because we were lied to by omission and misrepresentation.

So, since there’s no longer an “issue” to “resolve” why would I be invited to call customer service? For what reason? That makes no sense to me! Truth be told I have a gut feeling that it’s more of a publicity stunt than any attempt to “resolve" an issue that no longer exists?
                    Last edited by Theresa; 11-30-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Stay Away From Sundance Vacations!!!! They are Liars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I just signed up for these Sundance Vacation packages and have until tonight to cancel, so I need help. The offer was 4 Vacations weeks for $1,300. I gave $100 deposit and financing the $1,200 at 5.50% interset, payments are $36.24/mo. Should I cancel the contract??????????

Comment

The Sundance Vacations sweepstakes is a big scam! The only purpose of the sweepstakes is to get your contact information then Sundance Vacations will call your phone number relentlessly, day and night, in an attempt to get you into one of their high pressure sales offices with the promise of a gift that you’ll probably never use because of all the restrictions and black-out dates. Think about it, do you really believe that Sundance Vacations just wants to give away freebies? That dog don’t hunt!

God forbid you should buy into their spiel, but if you experience ANY problems with Sundance Vacations you should contact the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotlines.

The following are the toll-free consumer complaint hotlines for each of the four states in which Sundance Vacations operates:

(1) Pennsylvania 1-800-441-2555
                          (2) New Jersey 1-800-242-5846
                          (3) Wisconsin 1-800-422-7128
                          (4) Illinois 1-800-386-5438

Whatever you do don’t call Sundance Vacations; it makes no sense to call the scammer about the scam! They burn you once, shame on them; they burn you twice, shame on you!

Additional information may be obtained by Googling: “Sundance Vacations Sweepstakes Scam” (without the quotation marks)

“Scam” - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary: “a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation.” That’s Sundance Vacations; plain and simple!

Comment

Hi, I attended a meeting and recieved the 3 night cruise package, without purchasing a thing. For us, everything so far has went smoothly. I registered, I then entered my 3 dates and then a few weeks later, I was booked for the first date I entered. The only thing was the returning flight is alittle too early. It only gives me a few hrs to get from cape canaveral to the orlando airport. Ive never been on a cruise before and I do know the ship docks at 7am, My flight from Orlando is 12 noon. Now, if it takes a few hrs to get off the ship then we will be cutting it close. I do know that I can change the returning flight and pay the xtra charge and I just may do that just to be safe. All in all, we got a pretty good deal even though we didnt purchase the deal. This may be something to do in the future after retirement!!

Comment

I haven’t visited this site in months and we are still very angry with Sundance Vacations for swindling us. Ironically, I returned to this site because they have good vacation deals, unlike Sundance Vacations. Although they begrudgingly allowed us to cancel our contract, we still loss our substantial deposit. The only reason they allowed us to cancel was due to persistence and my indication of our intent to contact the Attorney General’s office which obviously grabbed their attention. No ethical and honest company is intimidated by the Attorney General’s consumer complaints department unless they have something to hide!

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have recently come across two blogs that were obviously extensively researched while extremely well explained and very accurate in my estimation! I would urge you not to enter any “sweepstakes” because they are nothing more then a method to get your phone number so Sundance Vacations can call you relentlessly day & night with no respect for your privacy. That “sweepstakes” is how Sundance Vacations got our phone number in the first place and it cost us dearly. Does someone win the “sweepstakes?” Certainly, but the price you pay for a long shot is relentless telemarketing calls day and night! Buy a lottery ticket, the odds are probably better and you will preserve your privacy.

My co-worker always says that when in doubt - don’t! Seems like good advice to me.
                              Last edited by Host Bonjour; 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X