Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

10 Things to Do Before You Leave Home

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Things to Do Before You Leave Home

Are there certain things you do before every trip, such as calling your house sitter or printing out a subway system map for the city you'll be visiting? Check out these must-do's from Traveler's Ed and then tell us what YOU do before you leave home!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: 10 Things to Do Before You Leave Home

One thing I always do -- that I didn't see covered in the article -- is to contact my credit card company to let them know I'm traveling. Differences in usage patterns may become suspect, and they may shut down your access if they don't know you are REALLY in Timbuktu!
    Laura
    Senior Manager Community

"Montauk on my Mind"

Create your own countdown clock!

Comment

Remember to pack your cell phone RECHARGER!

Comment

Here is my list:
        Arrange yard care
        Arrange cat sitter (for cats, mail, newspaper)
        Give cat sitter/relatives an itinerary
        Get money - US and foreign
        Take e-copies of glass prescriptions
        Charge camera batteries
        Synchronize camera clocks
        Pay bills
        Stop newspaper
        Scan credit cards front and back.
        Pay last minute bills
        Wash any dishes. Leave dishwasher open.
        Freeze/trash leftovers
        Clean kitty box and fill kitty waters
        Take out trash
        Sorry, more than 10...
        Ron

Comment

I always strip and re-make the bed, so that it's just there to drop into when I return.
          Jocap.
          Jo. sigpic

Comment

Before a long trip I always empty the refrigerator of perishables. But that leaves me with little to eat when we first get home. So now I make sure there are a few dinners, some bread and butter, etc. in the freezer so I don't have to go out to the grocery store right away. Just milk from the corner store and we're set for a day or two.

Comment

We've a long drive home from our next cruise, so I asked on one of my cruise forums, where was the nearest motorway service station to my home with a Marks and Spencer....it's just before we turn off, so I hope to buy some ready meals and fresh salad. Milk I can buy locally, fresh from the farm, and there's a lovely rye bread loaf already in the freezer.... If we carry on up the motorway for 20 miles, the station there has a Farmers' Market, with all kinds of tasty goods direct from the farm. The food at that station is all home made, too....so it may be the place for a late lunch.
              Jo.
              Jo. sigpic

Comment

I always let my friend know my whereabouts, the time that I'll be traveling and when should I be contacted, just in case... Always make sure that there will be food available by the time I went home.

Comment

I agree with seaweed, never underestimate the power of being forgetful. I had to buy a charger at the airport but at least now I have one that I just leave in my luggage--hopefully I won't accidentally take it out of the bag and then assume I had it in there! =)

Comment

Originally posted by jocap View Post
                    I always strip and re-make the bed, so that it's just there to drop into when I return.
                    Jocap.
                    I totally do this as well. Even though it has nothing to do with preparing me for the actual trip, I feel like I can be a little bit more at peace while away. In addition to making the bed, I also like to clean, vacuum , and make sure the toilet is clean. Call me crazy! At least when I come it will be "home sweet home" instead of a giant "mess".

Comment

I think we are somehow programmed to clean the house before we go on a trip. Just about all the women I know do this to some extent.

Comment

hahaha, yes. Agreed. I used to think my mom was totally crazy because she used to really stress out about it. And now that I am older/wise, moved out of the house, and basically living my own life, I found that I too feel compelled to complete this process.

I am glad more women agree too

Comment

10 things we do before we leave home- write detailed note for cat sitter, cancel mail, tell neighbors to watch house, arrange friends to visit and check inside on a random schedule, arrange for lawn mowing, take expensive jewelry to friend's or safety deposit box, freeze bread and one complete meal, unplug most appliances, leave only 1/8 tank of gas in car left at home, buy metro tickets round trip (trip return ticket from airport is three times higher than in town!), turn off power to garage door, and finally arrange for all bills to be paid. That is it!

Comment

Working...
                          X