X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Your Car Safe While Traveling

When you're taking a road trip, how do you keep your car -- and the stuff in it -- safe? Check out our tips below, and then share your own!

Related Story:
    Nine Ways to Keep Your Car Safe on the Road
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Re: Keeping Your Car Safe While Traveling

Thanks for the helpful info, as we will be driving to DC and possibly VA in a month or so.
    “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” - Fitzhugh Mullan

Comment

You're welcome. Enjoy your trip!
      Sarah Schlichter
      Senior Editor
      Independent Traveler
      www.independenttraveler.com

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLuvsTravl View Post
        Thanks for the helpful info, as we will be driving to DC and possibly VA in a month or so.
        It also helps if you disengage your automatic truck opener. Unplug the connection near the trunk lock. If a person breaks into your car they won’t easily be able to get into your trunk and if you only leave the valet key for the door and ignition with the attendant they won’t be able to open it either.
        Don

Comment

Thanks. Good to know. As my car does have the auto trunk opener from inside. And I was going to rethink any valet parking. But now may reconsider it.
          “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” - Fitzhugh Mullan

Comment

Re: Keeping Your Car Safe - Trunk release

Just be sure that you can get to your trunk release thru the back seat dropdown if you don't have key access to the trunk. My nissan altama doesn't seem to have a key to open the trunk, so if the electronic switch is unplugged I have to reach thru the backseat acess and pull the safety release. I doubt most valets will go thru the trouble of trying to get into the trunk thru the back seat.
            Also, some cars have the trunk remote inside the glove box which locks with a different key than the ignition or valet key. - So lock the glove box and only give the valet the key to the ignition. You won't have to unplug the switch in the turnk.
            Most cars have a key access in addition to the remote so check it first to make sure you can get it open first.
            Don

Comment

Working...
            X