• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Know in Emergencies....

......which number to ring?
    ...in the USA?
    ....in Europe?
    ...in the UK?
    .....Do you know the non-emergency number for the Police- to report or discover something?
    You may need to know, if there's an accident or loss....
    Jo.
    Jo. sigpic

Re: Do You Know in Emergencies....

This is definitely wise advice. I believe there are a few websites out there (including Wikipedia, of course) that list all the emergency numbers by country.

After I got robbed in a hotel once, I started asking hotels at check-in what number I should call to get security if I needed it.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

I have even joked that it's time this elderly woman had her 1st tattoo, with the various numbers prominent on her arm.....
      Just for the record, in the UK it's 999, because in the days of phones with dials, a person with poor eyesight could feel her way to the last number.
      Jo.
      Last edited by jocap; 02-17-2012, 03:52 PM. Reason: sp
      Jo. sigpic

Comment

The information that came with my international phone (Mobal), to get police, fire, or ambulance world-wide, dial 112. I don't know if this is special for my phone (which might then connect with another number depending on my location) or if it will work with other phones.

Comment

Yes, TG, it used to be just in the Eurozone, but now is accepted in much of the world- in USA it's automatically rerouted to 911, to 999 in the UK, to 000 in Australia, etc. It's the one number to remember wherever you travel.
          Jo.
          Jo. sigpic

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize that about 112 -- thanks for sharing that tip!
            "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

the 112 number is also for mobile phones in australia

Comment

Working...
              X