Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

Must see places in Florida?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must see places in Florida?

Hi erverybody,

Im from europe and going to Florida in about three weeks. We will be staying in the Miami area for one week, then we will go to Northern Florida. So my question is: does anyone have suggestions for me for interesting or exiting places we MUST see in this area? Or some places, which are not on the "normal" sightseeing-plans?

Re: Must see places in Florida?

Hi there,

I'm not sure whether you'll have the time to hit the west coast of Florida at all, but the Tampa/St. Petersburg area has some really lovely beaches. My favorite is Caladesi Island, which you can only reach by ferry from Honeymoon Island. It's uninhabited and very quiet, and the sand there is the softest I've ever felt! If you're into art, you may want to check out the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg; I find Dali a bit difficult to understand, but the museum had some nice interpretive information that helped me appreciate the art a lot more than I would have otherwise. Here's the web site: http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org.

You might find some other ideas here: Florida's Many Faces and Places.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you decide.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

In the Miami area, I'd suggest 1) the Everglades (there's really no other place like it anywhere) and 2) a tour of the Redland area (not a "normal" sightseeing place, so you may find it interesting, if you're driving -- the farm and country area; it's a very nice driving tour on which you'll visit places most tourists have never heard of -- you can find it at www.redlandriot.com)

Comment

If you are headed to the Northwest Florida panhandle, check out the Scenic Highway 30A.

Comment

If you're staying in the Miami area don't miss going to Senor Frog's in Coconut Grove. It has the best Mexican food around. Also, Vizcaya is a good mansion to visit. The Venetian Pool is a really cool natural spring was turned into a swimming pool (I think in the 1920s). It's in Coral Gables. Also, The Biltmore Hotel is worth visiting.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by Host Bonjour; 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Destin, Mirmar, Ft. Walton... actually anywhere on the Emerald Coast and you won't go wrong...

Comment

Mount Dora is great if you like craft types of things, they have a huge craft show at certain times of year. Also Winter Park is very historic and European, has the Louis Comfort Tiffany Museum with great glass if you are interested and a scenic boat tour-it is a good place for art too. You could also go to St Augustine for historic value.

Comment

If you are going to Northern Florida take a look at St. Augustine. This is supposedly the first US City. There is also a strong Spanish influence inherited from the first settlers in Florida. You can visit the Fort there too.

Comment

Well for my part I would recoment the everglades, the dali museum, edwards base and the cultural shock you would probably encounter as soon as you set down in Florida. My advice to you would be to take it easy for the first three days then you can head out to seek out the wonders of Florida.

Comment

If you are going to Key West, the Ernest Hemingway house is a big tourist spot. Key West has some very nice beaches too.

Comment

This may be a bit subjective to personal preference but IMHO Disneyland is a must see!

Comment

I'd like to suggest Mt. Dora. This is also a nice place to see if you're in Florida. My brother brought me to Mt.Dora when I visited him in Florida and we played golf there.

Comment

Daytona Beach is a great place to unwind and relax. I stay at the Daytona Bahama House, daytonabahamahouse.com, to recharge my batteries. Nice rooms with a balcony overlooking the ocean. You can catch the sunrise, go and catch some sights, then come back to see some of the most beautiful scenery overlooking the ocean.

Comment

South Beach is the quintenssential Miami hot spot. From shopping to partying, this area of Miami Beach is well-known for being a trendy locale.

Miami MetroZoo is fast becoming one of the best zoos in the nation. Its climate allows it to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia and Africa like no other zoo in the country. One of the first free-range zoos in the country, the exhibits are entirely cageless. Animals are grouped according to their geographic territory and animals that live together peacefully in the wild are placed in exhibits together.

Comment

Originally posted by buythegulf View Post
                              If you are headed to the Northwest Florida panhandle, check out the Scenic Highway 30A.
                              whats that?

Comment

Working...
                              X