Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

What is okay for a bigger girl to do in Oahu?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is okay for a bigger girl to do in Oahu?

Hey, everyone! This is my first post on here, so be gentle. Hehe.

I'm a frequent traveler. I love being in airplanes, living out of a suitcase, etc. I usually don't run into this problem, but as I get older I find myself worrying about it more and more. I'm a big girl. I'm 5'9" & 265lbs. Sometimes I worry about booking things because they won't accomodate my size.

I'm going to be in Hawaii for two weeks this June, & there are so many things I want to do! Parasailing, dolphin encounters, Catamaran sailing, snorkeling, etc. I'm just afraid that I'm too big to do those things.

Trust me - I want to do these things. I may not move much at home, but I'm an active girl on vacation. I love hikes, walks around the city, being active. I'm definitely not lazy when I'm on vacation. I just want to know if any other bigger people have done the things I listed above. It would be embarrassing to go and have them say I'm too big!

So, any suggestions? What other things can I do? I want the full experience! Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

Re: What is okay for a bigger girl to do in Oahu?

First of all -- SO jealous you are going to Hawaii! It's one of my favorite places on earth. I went a few years ago, and even though I was traveling on business, alone, I made time to sight-see. Enjoyed every second of it.

I can totally relate to your concerns. I'm petite as far as height (5'4" in heels) but definitely robust the other way 'round I have had no problems doing any of the things I have wanted to do.

I've parasailed and swam with dolphins. I even took a beginners' surfing lesson, in Hawaii in fact. I have never been turned away from any activity though I am sure I have been close to some of the weight limits here and there. If you are active and willing, and it sounds like you are, GO FOR IT.

Any concerns you have, just ask the tour operator. When I was in Costa Rica, my friend (tall, like you, and probably similar in weight at the time) and I were dying to zip line. We had seen conflicting information about weight limits and were worried, but the guys running the operation could not have been more helpful. They assured us that the zip lines can accommodate many hundreds more pounds than quoted; in that case, the weight limits were really guidelines to help assess whether participants can physically do the activity and safely fit in their harness. We had a BLAST.

The hard part, for me, is getting out of my own head. I hiked Diamondhead when I was on Oahu. Once I stopped wondering "Gee, is that person watching me huff and puff?" and started thinking "Who cares!" it was awesome.

Have a great time!

Get a countdown clock!

Comment

Re: What is okay for a bigger girl to do in Oahu?

Originally posted by travelmel View Post
      First of all -- SO jealous you are going to Hawaii! It's one of my favorite places on earth. I went a few years ago, and even though I was traveling on business, alone, I made time to sight-see. Enjoyed every second of it.

I can totally relate to your concerns. I'm petite as far as height (5'4" in heels) but definitely robust the other way 'round I have had no problems doing any of the things I have wanted to do.

I've parasailed and swam with dolphins. I even took a beginners' surfing lesson, in Hawaii in fact. I have never been turned away from any activity though I am sure I have been close to some of the weight limits here and there. If you are active and willing, and it sounds like you are, GO FOR IT.

Any concerns you have, just ask the tour operator. When I was in Costa Rica, my friend (tall, like you, and probably similar in weight at the time) and I were dying to zip line. We had seen conflicting information about weight limits and were worried, but the guys running the operation could not have been more helpful. They assured us that the zip lines can accommodate many hundreds more pounds than quoted; in that case, the weight limits were really guidelines to help assess whether participants can physically do the activity and safely fit in their harness. We had a BLAST.

The hard part, for me, is getting out of my own head. I hiked Diamondhead when I was on Oahu. Once I stopped wondering "Gee, is that person watching me huff and puff?" and started thinking "Who cares!" it was awesome.

Have a great time!
      Thanks so much for that. It makes me feel a little less insecure!

Comment

Working...
      X