X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newark to Times Square?

My sis and I are attending a conference in Newark and have one free day. We would like to take a tour but can't figure out the easiest way to get from the Newark airport to 7th Ave between 49-50 Streets. I stress the word easiest because we are really country bumpkins and have never been to NYC. Our tour will end at the Empire State Bldg. and we will have to return to Newark from there. We'd sure appreciate any helpful suggestions...TIA

Re: Newark to Times Square?

Hi -- I can help you out I live in NYC and take the train from Newark all the time. Here's what you do -- get on New Jersey Transit at the Newark station (ask anyone at your conference how to get there). Take the next train that comes through Newark to New York Penn Station. You will then be at 34th street between 7th and 8th avenue. You can walk to Times Square, but it is even easier to take the subway. When you arrive in Penn Stattion, follow the signs for the 1 and 9 subway line. Take the subway UPTOWN one stop to Times Square and there you are!

The Empire State building is very close to Penn Station -- 34 th street and 5th avenue. So you'll be right near Penn Stattion to get back to Newark!
    GenevieveS
    Editor
    The Independent Traveler

Comment

Thanks so much for the info. It's a bit intimidating to think about subways and such (we truly are country bumpkins!) but we're an adventurous pair and will give it a try!

I do have one more question...any suggestion as to how early we should start out? We will take the tour on a week day (next Friday) and must meet the tour van at 8:00 AM.
      Last edited by OregonGal; 09-22-2005, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Depending how far you are from Newark train station, you should leave at least an hour. The train takes 25 minutes from Newark to Penn Station and will be running pretty frequently that time in the morning. Once you get to Penn Station, it will take you another 5 minutes to find the subway and then count on ten minutes by the time it comes and gets you one stop to Times Square and then you will have to walk another few minutes. Here is a link to the NJ Transit weekday train schdule.
        You should probably take the 6:50 train.

Train Schedule
        GenevieveS
        Editor
        The Independent Traveler

Comment

Thanks again! I just booked our tour and we are ready to roll!! Pat

Comment

Sure if you need any other information just post a message!
            GenevieveS
            Editor
            The Independent Traveler

Comment

Genevieve, I make no claims of familiarity with Newark, since all I do is fly out of there ... but if OregonGal wants to get from the airport to Times Square, wouldn't it be easier for her to take the airport shuttle bus (which I think is run by Olympia), taking her right into midtown Manhattan?

I believe the bus may even have a stop at Port Authority, which is just a stroll from Times Square. And then they can leave from the stop near Penn.

By the way, OregonGal, that's not an all-day tour, is it? It sounds as if you'll have time for other things.

Comment

Hello to all! We returned from our NY trip last night and I just wanted to say thanks for your help and info. We had a great time and saw a lot of the city in a very short time.

We booked a 5 1/2 hour tour with New York Party Shuttle and we were truly lucky to have Robert as our guide. He is a native and was interesting, funny and knowledgeable. Yes, we did the tourist-y things, but, hey, we only had one day! (I would recommend this company to anyone who wants a tour of NYC major attractions.)

Oh, we took the hotel shuttle to the airport, then took the airport tram to the train station, then the train to Penn Station and then the subway to Times Square.

Anyway, we truly enjoyed the big city but we're happy to be home!

Thanks again!
                Pat

Comment

So glad you had a good time! Nothing wrong with seeing the tourist-y sites -- after all you are a tourist! Hope you'll come back soon!
                  GenevieveS
                  Editor
                  The Independent Traveler

Comment

Hi Oregan Gal,

Can you please tell me from Newark airport, how did you travel to Time Square in detail. I mean you have mentioned from Airport Train to penn Station and the Subway to Time Square. My Question is There are 2 Penn Station one is Newark the other is New York. Which one you went to and how did you go to the Subway from there?

I will appreciate any of your help.

Thanks,
                    Sr.ps

Originally posted by OregonGal
                    Hello to all! We returned from our NY trip last night and I just wanted to say thanks for your help and info. We had a great time and saw a lot of the city in a very short time.

We booked a 5 1/2 hour tour with New York Party Shuttle and we were truly lucky to have Robert as our guide. He is a native and was interesting, funny and knowledgeable. Yes, we did the tourist-y things, but, hey, we only had one day! (I would recommend this company to anyone who wants a tour of NYC major attractions.)

Oh, we took the hotel shuttle to the airport, then took the airport tram to the train station, then the train to Penn Station and then the subway to Times Square.

Thanks again!
                    Pat

Comment

We took the train from Newark Penn to New York Penn. We followed the directions given by GenevieveS and had no problems at all.

Directions courtesy of GenevieveS:

Get on New Jersey Transit at the Newark station. Take the next train that comes through Newark to New York Penn Station. You will then be at 34th street between 7th and 8th avenue. You can walk to Times Square, but it is even easier to take the subway. When you arrive in Penn Station, follow the signs for the 1 and 9 subway line. Take the subway UPTOWN one stop to Times Square and there you are!

Here's the web site for schedules.

http://www.njtransit.com

Comment

Hi every body, I found the forum in a google searh and I was thing that someone can help me to find out good prices in hotels in the Times Square area, me, my wife and my one year doughter are booked to arrive in Newark Airport at 15 of december. I apreciate if someone can tell wich hotels in area are good enough to be, but not too expensive. We didn't booked it already.

Thanks in advance.

Erick

Comment

Originally posted by OregonGal View Post

Thanks again!
                          Pat
                          Hi Pat,

Dont know if you will still check this page out but I am heading to Big Apple, would like to know more aBOUT your Tour? Did you stay on one Bus the whole Tour? And what places did you go to see? No good coming all way to New York not to see anything. I am only staying for 3 nights before heading to A wedding in Binghampton. So would love to get best tour.

Something that is going to show you lots and be worthwhile

Kind Regardsa

Derek Scotland......................

Comment

Working...
                          X