Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

Best spots between San Francisco & Portland

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best spots between San Francisco & Portland

Hey guys, I'm new around here, but me and two buddies have just finished grad school and are heading west from Georgia in late May. Allotting three or four nights between San Francisco & Portland, what spots would you find yourself at if you're looking for campgrounds with great scenery or smaller coastal towns with lots of personality that we could find a cheap place to sleep? Thanks for the advice!

Re: Best spots between San Francisco & Portland

Hi! First day and first post on this site. My family and I are traveling from San Francisco to Seattle. We have two days to get there but we want to see as much of the scenic route as possible. Any suggestions? Which stretch of road is a must see? Thanks

Comment

I haven't been many places along the West Coast, but I wanted to give a shout-out here to Point Reyes National Seashore, which is maybe an hour north of San Francisco. Rocky cliffs, beaches with sea lions, a lighthouse, windswept landscapes...it's one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been. Definitely worth a stop!
      "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Comment

There are two requests... so two answers...

With 4 days do do SF to Portland I would stay on the coast... Maybe Hwy 101 via the Russian River wine country... Wine taste a bit, camp somewhere below Eureka... maybe Redwood National Park. From there camp a couple of nights along the Oregon coast. I would head inland at Newport, maybe a brewpub in Salem... from Salem it's an hour north to Portland. Alternately go inland and camp at Lake Shasta, Crater Lake, find a room in Salem, then on to Portland.

With 2 days to d SF to Seattle you are probably stuck on Hwy 5... Head out of SF on I-80, north on 205 to 5, stop in Redding for lunch, or at least a walk across the sundial bridge... then continue north into Oregon for the night... Ashland would be the first possibility, Salem or maybe Portland for the night...

The next morning explore Portland on the way north... Visit Voodoo donuts, Powell's books... if its Saturday visit the Saturday Market, then about three hours to Seattle... Its a long but not unreasonable 2 day drive... I did it last week in an open jeep...
        Randy Hees
        San Mateo California

Wandering the west and elsewhere since 1955... Occasionally Blogging about it at http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X