Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Upgrade Completed; But still a work in progress!

Hello travelers!

As you can see, we upgraded our forums on Wednesday Oct 15th. We're back up and running, but we are still a work in progress! We'll be renaming things and creating an all around better experience. In the meantime, you can use the forums (the functionality is extremely similar to what you are used to). We hope to be finished tweaking things very shortly. Thank you for your patience; it is appreciated!

Laura aka Up4Travel
See more
See less

New Air & Space Museum by Dulles

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Air & Space Museum by Dulles

Hi. My husband and I are travelling to D.C. in May and would like info on the new Air & Space Museum by Dulles. How does this one stack up against the one in town? We probably won't have time to do both..............

Thanks!

I have not yet been to the new Air & Space Museum near Dulles Airport. While the museum is free, parking is $12. There have been lots of complaints about the excessive charge for parking. Since I live here, I am in no rush to see the new museum and am waiting to see if the parking fee isn't drastically reduced.

Comment

Dulles vs. Mall

Go to Dulles. It's much bigger than the one on the Mall. It's the size of three football fields. My father in-law went the day it opened and said it's great.

eGO.com travel maniac

eGO.com

eGO.com

Comment

Re: New Air & Space Museum by Dulles

Definitely go to the Udvar-Hazy Museum near Dulles. You will see more actual-sized planes and such, including an SR-71 Blackbird and the Enterprise Space Shuttle. You can either drive there (yes, parking is $12) or take a shuttle bus from the National Air and Space Museum on the downtown mall for $12/ticket. So if you're at least bringing one other person, it actually makes more sense to drive and pay for the parking. Heck, see if others at your hotel are interested in going, and divide the cost of parking among yourselves!

Comment

I finally got to Udvar-Hazy a few months back and, if you are interested in large airplanes, it is definitely worth a look. The parking fee makes the museum's claim to be "free" a bit of a joke though. After all, there is no way you can go there without paying to park there. There is no free parking anywhere because it is all highways.

I did go with two others (house guests) to make the parking fee bearable. He had worked for British Air and was very interested in what we saw.

By the way, you just see the outside of the Space Shuttle. That was a bit of a disappointment, if you ask me.

Comment

The new air & space museum was well worth the trip. An impressive variety of aircraft - sometimes suspended in mock dogfights. It has been some years since we saw the original site which has an Imax theater and other museums nearby. The Dulles location is a bit removed from the usual D.C. attractions.

Comment

Wow. I did not know that they developed a new museum. I have to go there soon. I understand, kind of, why it's in Dulles...but it's really inconvenient in location, unless you are going to or from the Dulles airport.

Do the have the space ice cream? I love that stuff!

Comment

Yes, Udvar Hazy sells space ice cream. I occasionally do bus tours in DC. When the kids get on the bus after visiting Air & Space, I always ask, "So who bought the space ice cream?" Someone always does.

Personally, I think the dried space ice cream is disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by LSKahn View Post
                  Yes, Udvar Hazy sells space ice cream. I occasionally do bus tours in DC. When the kids get on the bus after visiting Air & Space, I always ask, "So who bought the space ice cream?" Someone always does.

Personally, I think the dried space ice cream is disgusting.
                  I haven't had it in years. MANY years, but it always stands out in my mind. I wonder if my taste buds have changed much since I was younger.

I'm willing to find out!

Comment

The downtown museum is more interpretive… There is lots more information on what you are seeing.

The Dulles museum is artifact rich, but light on interpretation.

Both are high on awe value. When you walk into the downtown museum you find yourself in a single room with the Spirit of St Louis, a Goddard rocket, the X-1 (Chuck Yeager’s plane) and several of the significant space capsules. You are in a room with the post important pieces of the “true cross” of aviation history. In the Dulles museum you are in a room with large aircraft, where the large aircraft seem like toys. You walk about on multiple levels, with great views. But you may be on the top level and the information panel may be two levels down.

Dulles may be better for a real airplane freak. Downtown is a better museum

If time is tight the downtown museum is the hands down favorite.

Randy Hees
                    Long time museum wonk
                    Randy Hees
                    San Mateo California

Wandering the west and elsewhere since 1955... Occasionally Blogging about it at http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X