+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Best Road Trip!

Share/Bookmark

Smile Your Best Road Trip!

Summer is prime time for road trips, whether you're going cross-country or just out for a long Sunday afternoon drive. So let's get in the spirit! What's the coolest road trip you've ever taken? Share your best memories here.

Related Story:
    Road Trip Center
    Last edited by SarahS; 05-30-2007 at 05:34 PM.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Your Best Road Trip!

A few years ago I was in Maine for a wedding and drove up the state's gorgeous coastline. Other than that, my favorite drives are fall foliage ones -- through Massachusetts' Berkshires.

I'm planning to road trip a little bit for my honeymoon next year through California wine country!

The Garden State, nowhere near turnpikes or parkways

My parents were all about road trips, so I had plenty of them growing up. Best memories? Well, it wasn't officially summer until we hit the Blue Ridge Parkway! Dad would wake us up around 3am and -- still in our jammies -- we'd pile into his van with anxious stomachs and hopes of an eventual McDonald's breakfast. After a few hours, we'd watch the sun come up with the truckers.

We had a destination -- my grandparent's house in Greenville, South Carolina -- but the trip there was just as great as the hugs, kisses and cookies that would be waiting for us at the front door of 304 McCrary Street. I remember feeling so excited to see the "Shenandoah National Park" and "Skyline Drive" signs in Virginia, knowing that the "Peachoid" -- the peach water tower in Gaffney, South Carolina -- was just a few hours away.

A simple 14-hour road trip from here to there would take us (in a good summer) as many as five days. You see, my folks actually STOPPED. We wouldn't just drive by landmarks and beautiful sights, we'd actually get out, learn, and play a bit too.

Ahh, great thread...but which road trip to choose?

Kimberly's post sparked memories of driving to Ocean City, NJ every summer with my parents, and how excited my brother and I always were to cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge into New Jersey...it meant the four-hour trip was about half over, plus we always got a charge out of crossing such a big high bridge.

But then there was also the road trip SO and I took from Philadelphia down to Tampa for spring break about five years ago. That was a heck of a drive -- about 20 hours each way, with the two of us switching driving duties every couple of hours. We had such a good time on the ride down, playing our favorite tunes and celebrating as we crossed into each new state and as we watched the temperature gauge rising (40 in Philly, 75 in Florida!). And that was the trip when we saw our first palm trees ever, somewhere in Georgia. Good times!

One other honorable mention: driving in a rental car with my parents through western Scotland. The scenery was gorgeous -- peaceful lochs, rushing waterfalls, craggy hills, and lots of sheep! The mood in the car wasn't always so cheerful though, as my parents struggled with the whole driving on the left side thing. My dad practically veered off onto the shoulder every time someone came along from the opposite direction.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I live about 10 miles from the Gaffney Peachoid.It truly is a roadside must see.Most people who live here swears it looks like a giant butt. My favorite roadtrip so far was driving from South Carolina to California.We got to see alot of cool stuff on the way...Grand Canyon,Roys in Amboy,Route 66, etc. Were doing it again next month, but with a twist.We will drive to Colorado for a few days then head through Utah and Nevada before getting to California.We are looking forward to this trip with a lot of anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by BadByron View Post
    I live about 10 miles from the Gaffney Peachoid.It truly is a roadside must see.Most people who live here swears it looks like a giant butt. My favorite roadtrip so far was driving from South Carolina to California.We got to see alot of cool stuff on the way...Grand Canyon,Roys in Amboy,Route 66, etc. Were doing it again next month, but with a twist.We will drive to Colorado for a few days then head through Utah and Nevada before getting to California.We are looking forward to this trip with a lot of anticipation.
    Ha! After I read your post I just had to google that peachoid, and, well, you're right...it does look like a giant butt!

Your SC to CA road trip sounds awesome -- how long did it take you?
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Sup Ya'll.

Haven't really been on any hardcore roadtrips, but I did really enjoy traveling between cities in Spain by rented auto. Was fantastic way to get a feel of the changin' landscape.

Also been messing around with the idea taking a motor bike around Ireland, but intertia has stultified that notion. I also have to learn how to drive a motorcycle first.

Cheers,

Wacky.

It was about 36 hours of drive time.We stayed the night in Pecos Texas on the way there.If I remember right it was home of the first ever rodeo and they were also famous for their cantalopes.Going through Texas on I-20 takes forever.We came back I-40 in the panhandle and it didnt seem to bad.Had a super lunch at some little cafe,the kids loved the fact they served gravy with french fries.

Smile Love my GPS

Ever since I got it I do like to go for more drives. Even for shorter drives that I have always done in the past I now use it. I'm amazed at how many little short cuts I have passed up in the past and how much more direct some of my drives are.

NJ to Delaware (lol) that's as far as Iv driven....I wish I could afford and have the patience to go on a road trip....your stories all sound so great!!

Default Rental CarTaxes and Fees Apply to Fuel Too

I dropped off my rental car at the Portland, OR rental car company last Sunday, 5 July 2009, and noticed the fees were higher then their estimated amounts. Upon closer examination, I determined that the already high 12.5% County Rental Car Tax and the 10% Airport Concession Recovery Fee were applied not only to the cost of the rental car, but to the energy recovery fee and the fuel charge as well.

I only paid the $7.09/gal fuel charge because, after spending 25 minutes driving in all directions from the rental car drop off location, I failed to find a gas station.

To top it off, the 25-minute fuel search caused me to miss my flight which resulted in an airline re-booking feed on top of the baggage fee.

The only good thing about this experience was that the car rental company read my complaint and reimbursed me for the entire fuel charge (but not the taxes and fees applied to it).

A couple of years ago, my boyfriend and I took a road trip to everywhere Western state except Utah. We traveled to the national parks--Yellowstone, Glacier, Olympic, Sequoia, Yosemite, Redwoods, Grand Canyon, Crater Lake--and hiked. We were gone for a month and stayed in cute towns. It was awesome. I wish I could do it again.

We've done many, including round Big island, Hawaii-until stopped by the lava....from Kona to the National Park wasn't exciting...lots of forest...but round the top of the island was great. Best drives have been from the Netherlands into Germany, into what was East Germany; down through central France to the Dordogne and back to Belgium for the ferry; all the way round Mallorca, and Santorini, and from central Sweden to remote northern areas. if I could choose, it would be from Oban to Mallaig, North West Scotland....diverse scenery, with the sea every few miles.OH has driven from Calais to Venice, and many points en route, and has always wanted to take me, but I prefer the train......
    We're just planning a route from Cumbria to Yorkshire, for a funeral this week....not far, but you have to cross the Pennines somewhere along the route, so a journey of 150 miles has to have options, because of snow and ice....again, I'd prefer to take a train or two....
    Jo.
    Last edited by jocap; 01-02-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: repeat.

My best road trip, not really a road it is a beach, is in the Huntington Beach. I've met the girl that I wanna marry.

Oh, that's great news!!!
    Did you meet on the beach?
    Jo.

All my pals go for kart race on Sunday's that the best trip i have ever experienced and waterfall trip was also bind blowing that too in summer season and the more fun was it rained that day. Just an unforgettable trip.

I've just done a short journey....only down a few valleys, to a pub which was built in the 1600s. There were 4 of us who had a super fish platter, including Morecambe Bay potted shrimps in butter, kipper pate, prawns in garlic and smoked salmon with sour dough bread. Lovely!! The valley we were in- Buttermere- was bright with sunshine, but it's still too early for the lambs in the fells. In fact, the road gritter passed in the sunshine, so we knew that a frost was lurking, even though it was around 9 degrees- almost coats-off weather! Called in at ****ermouth, scene of notorious floods in 2009....the highest rainfall since records began in 1726.
    Everything was sparkling and new- even Wordsworth's House, which had a river running through it then.
    Called for tea and cream scones at another cafe...quite a splendid day!
    Jo.
    Jo.

Please, moderators....I have written about a very ancient, beautiful and famous market town called C-o-c-k-e-r-m-o-u-t-h-....a Lake District town at the mouth of the river ****er. I find it most insulting to have this word asterisked out.
    Jo Walker, Seascale, Cumbria, UK
    Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by jocap View Post
    Please, moderators....I have written about a very ancient, beautiful and famous market town called C-o-c-k-e-r-m-o-u-t-h-....a Lake District town at the mouth of the river ****er. I find it most insulting to have this word asterisked out.
    Jo Walker, Seascale, Cumbria, UK
    Hi Jo!

Please don't be insulted; it wasn't intentionally done to stop you from including certain words. Just wanted you to know. I've fixed this; it was an oversight on my part when setting up the words to censor. You should have no problems going forward.

Laura
    Laura
    Senior Manager Community

"Montauk on my Mind"

Create your own countdown clock!

Thank you, Laura....it's a beautiful little town, if ever you're over this way. I remember that my friends in the US watched the '09 floods on TV, as they were so dramatic.
    Cheers!
    Jo.
    Jo.

+ Reply to Thread