+ Reply to Thread

Thread: National Parks

Share/Bookmark

Default National Parks

Yosemite...Acadia...Yellowstone...Banff... What's your all-time favorite national park? (Parks in Canada and other countries count too!) Tell us your favorite and why.

Related Story:
    National Park Vacations
    Last edited by SarahS; 07-03-2007 at 01:25 PM.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: National Parks

I haven't visited a National Park just yet ... but Yellowstone and Grand Teton are on my must-see lists. I will be heading out to Utah and Colorado in a few weeks and hope to get to Bryce Canyon, but it's pretty far from where I will be staying. Do I see a road trip on the horizon??

Unfortunately, I have never been to a national park either -- do state parks count?

Personally I've got Bryce, Sequoia, Acadia and the Great Smokies on my wish list. Oh, and isn't there one down in the Virgin Islands as well? I could go for that.

My SO has been to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier National Park and the Everglades (and possibly more?). He's always talking about going back out west -- maybe next time he'll bring me!
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Camped in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier/Waterton, Banff in Canada,
    Bryce, Arches, Capital Reef, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, and just back from Big Bend.

Every trip was awesome.

Yellowstone, Waterton, Banff, Bryce, Arches and Big Bend are trips I want to take again.

I just got back from a vacation in the Santa Fe area, and now I can say that I've been to a few national monuments, at least -- Bandelier and Petroglyph! I particularly loved Bandelier, where we hiked through a canyon where Native Americans once built cavedwellings on the cliff walls. We even got to climb 140 feet up the side of the cliff (via ladders) into a ceremonial cave. So fun, and the park was just beautiful.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Before award travel ruled my life (yeah, I know), we always traveled out west to the National parks.

My first was Yosemite in 1973. Beautiful park. Lots of green. That contrasts with the Grand Canyon, which is beautiful and stark.

Bryce has unusual rock formations. Great colors.
    Arches National Park has very very unusual arch shaped rock formations. These parks are less traveled than the first two.

Rocky Mountain Natl Park is about 13,000 feet up. Very impressive. It's amazing to see snow in the summer.

Rocky Mountain National Park is one of my favorites but Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier are right up there, too. I am a wildlife lover and love to see moose, deer, big horn sheep, mountain goats, and any kind of bear.

DW and I want to see Glacier, but she has a serious issue with riding in a vehicle on roads that have drop-offs. Can one visit Glacier without doing the Going-to-the-sun road or is this too much to miss?

Thanks for any help and insight.

I am pretty certain there are other roads to travel but I do think you will miss alot if you don't take the Going to the Sun road. It has been a few years since I was there. My daughter happens to be on her way to Glacier today. She will arrive tomorrow night. I will ask her about all the other roads to take and what to see.

Quote Originally Posted by ilwag View Post
    I am pretty certain there are other roads to travel but I do think you will miss alot if you don't take the Going to the Sun road. It has been a few years since I was there. My daughter happens to be on her way to Glacier today. She will arrive tomorrow night. I will ask her about all the other roads to take and what to see.
    Thanks, much appreciated.

The Grand Canyon wins the prize from me hands down.

Of course, haven't been to them all, but I have been to the Grand Canyon 3 times. One of these days I am going to raft the whole thing!

Smile Re: National Parks

Arizonaborn:
    My daughter just returned from Glacier National Park. She had an absolutely wonderful time. She saw black bear, grizzly and cub, lots of mountain goats, herds of bighorn sheep, marmots, pronghorn antelope, and deer. SHe says you can travel in quite a ways on the Going to the Sun road before the elevation. The other roads are small and there are only a couple but you can see things without going too high. You may have to drive on the outside of the park to the other entrances, driving in a bit but she saw many of the animals in the lower elevation. The mountain goats were on the salt lick on Rt. 2 outside the park. The black bear was across from Lake St. Mary and the grizzly was just down the road from the black bear.

Good luck!

Not really, you could go outside the park via East Glacier to get to the other end of the park but then you wouldn't be IN the park. Stay at St Mary on the eastern side and you drive, that way she will be on the rock cliff side, NOT the drop off side. Finish at Lake Macdonald then drive back via Kalispell or East Glacier and Browning. Going to the Sun road is too beautiful to miss! For a flat road trip try going to the Many Glacier Hotel at Swiftcurrent Lake.

Default Re: my favorite national park

Out of the five national parks I have visited so far in my lifetime, by far, the most interesting and amazing has been Yellowstone National Park. Divided into five "countries", each one different from the other, makes for a very interesting and memorable experience. The diversity alone is enough to keep you coming back for more. The park is so enormous in size that you will never see even a fraction of its entirety and so you will always have an opportunity to see different things on each visit. The historic cabins were cozy, the wildlife viewing amazing, the bubbling mud pots, the beautiful colors of the geysers, the unbelievable waterfalls, the amazing experience of seeing a bison up close and personal. I could go on and on. I can't wait to go back and take in nature at its best.

Name:  S6301881.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  95.8 KBI live on the boundary of the Lake District National park, UK, and many of my friends live and work within its borders, especially farmers. It's a region of mountains and lakes, with farming going back for thousands of years, so many of the dwellings and churches are listed buildings, or sites of historical interest. The area was occupied by the Vikings in the 900s, so there are various crosses and tombs from that era, plus prehistoric stone circles and a large Roman fort just up the mountain side. The area isn't vast, but there's something to see round every bend in the narrow roads.
    Jo.
    Last edited by jocap; 03-31-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: sp.
    Jo.

Yellowstone was amazing. I like it the best.

I have visited Europe and national parks which i like the most in Europe and in city Finland are :
    Lauhanvuori
    Eastern Gulf of Finland
    Oulanka
    Salamajärvi
    Urho Kekkonen
    Riisitunturi

+ Reply to Thread