Poll: How do you stay connected?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Do You Stay Connected?

Share/Bookmark

Default How Do You Stay Connected?

When you're traveling, which methods do you use to stay connected?

Related Stories
    Internet Cafes
    Computer Travel Tips
    Stay Connected Resources
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: How Do You Stay Connected?

So I picked half of them because it completely depends why and where I'm traveling. If I'm traveling in the states, then I usually have my laptop with me, but if I'm in another country (for fun), it's usually Internet cafes or no contact at all -- except for postcards.

Assuming this is a leisure trip and not a business one, I generally like to stay pretty disconnected. I do usually find an Internet cafe to let friends/family know I've arrived safely, but after that they get nothing from me but postcards...
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I usually try to locate a policeman or a cab driver and walk to the place. I find the "looking" for the internet cafe entertaining. It's like having a goal to get there. You see stores, people shopping and going about their everyday life. Some internet places as in Madrid are incredibly HUUGE, with so many computers. You can see that people probably don't have the money to buy their own computer. Here in the US while visiting cities, I just find a local library and there is no cost there. In the islands while coming off a cruise, I find out where it is, walk there. Usually they are small places with 10 or so computers. It's like a small adventure and I enjoy it!

I spend a significant amount of time in Australia each year. I have a triband phone and simply purchase a prepaid SIM for $30AUS when I'm in Australia and replace the T-Mobile SIM. It was necessary for me to unlock the phone first. Be wary however. The majority of Australian phone companies operate on 900/1800/1900. Telstra NextG is the only one to work on 850/1800/1900. I know I can swap SIMs with no problems with my Motorola 900/1800/1900 but I am not sure about the Nokia triband which is 850/1800/1900 as it is faulty and in the process of being fixed.

Hi,

I just started a new thread regarding using the internet when travelling which you might find interesting:

http://boards.independenttraveler.co...3314#post53314

I personally use a combination of internet cafes/hotels, laptop and mobile phone (they're getting much better these days)

It's a bit 'sad' and a sign of the times, but I would feel like I'd lost a limb without a regular internet connection! A couple of years back I was staring a new business, without access to my office emails I wouldn't have been able to take a well earned holiday - without it I would have returned to an inbox nightmare!

Paul
    Last edited by paulp; 04-29-2008 at 11:36 AM.

My prepaid TRACFONE can be used in over 100 countries for the same rate as a local US call, minute per minute. It's available at Wal-Mart, Target or online and the best value I've found to stay connected overseas. Plus, can cost as little as $7 a month for service. Beats incurring traditional long distance fares!

I agree about TRACFONE,I keep at least 3,activated,fully charged when travelling,also 2 epirbs,gps devices,This is a great thread,good subject.Added note ,love postcards,friends enjoy getting them.

I've very little family left, and OH is usually with me.....so I communicate with no-one. If there's a problem at home, as happened on our last cruise, I will pay the huge amount and use the ship's internet.
    To find a cheap internet cafe....follow the crew!
    Jo.

Phone and/or tablet. My phone is CDM, so it doesn't work on most foreign networks, but I can still Skype and do email over wifi. I haven't had any problem finding wifi hotspots.

On my current trip to Australia I am doing 3 home exchanges plus a brief hike hospitality stay. I picked up a cheap basic phone and got an Australian phone number so I would have the same number for the entire trip. I am also using my Kindle Fire for email. I use my home exchangers' computer when I need to print something. I do not bring a laptop as it just adds another worry and weight to luggage.

We recently upgraded to an iPad from a small but old and heavy laptop. iPad is light weight. We can internet connect, listen to music, upload our camera photos to iCloud for storage, and the biggest plus is that it's also an e-reader. So many uses - one little device.

+ Reply to Thread