+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Customs and Duty-Free

Share/Bookmark

Default Customs and Duty-Free

Got questions about what your customs allowance is, when you have to pay duties or what you have to declare? Check out our guide, and then post your tips, questions and experiences below!

Related Story
    Customs and Duty-Free Guide
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Customs and Duty-Free

So, I've never done this before and was here in Germany for a semester abroad. I might sound stupid, but do I have to list every little keychain/kitchen magnet/postcard that I purchased on my trip to Berlin and am bringing back? And how do I assess the value of personal items I'm bringing back, like a half-used tube of hand lotion?

My questions follow: I am a US Citizen. I plan to go to Canada to buy a 1950's used gas stove for use in my household kitchen in the US. The stove was made in the US. How do I determine the duty and taxes? Would this qualify for the $800 allowed? It wasn't in my household, so, I assume it doesn't qualify as a household effect, am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzekatze89 View Post
    So, I've never done this before and was here in Germany for a semester abroad. I might sound stupid, but do I have to list every little keychain/kitchen magnet/postcard that I purchased on my trip to Berlin and am bringing back? And how do I assess the value of personal items I'm bringing back, like a half-used tube of hand lotion?
    Hope we're not too late to answer this! In the past you would have had to itemize all of these individual purchases, but a couple of colleagues who traveled in the past few weeks tell me that there's no longer a space for this on the U.S. declarations form. So just estimate the cost of all of your purchases in U.S. dollars, based on what you paid for them (so the original cost of the lotion when it was new, etc.) and give the total in the space provided.

Quote Originally Posted by rseverett View Post
    My questions follow: I am a US Citizen. I plan to go to Canada to buy a 1950's used gas stove for use in my household kitchen in the US. The stove was made in the US. How do I determine the duty and taxes? Would this qualify for the $800 allowed? It wasn't in my household, so, I assume it doesn't qualify as a household effect, am I correct?
    You've stumped us! I'd contact the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol directly to get an answer to this. Here's the contact info: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...er_service.xml. We'd love to hear what you find out.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

+ Reply to Thread