+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting a Great Hotel Rate

Share/Bookmark

Default Getting a Great Hotel Rate

Whether you're staying at a five-star property or a mom-and-pop motel, we know you want to get the best possible rate on your hotel. How do you make sure you get a great deal? Read our tips below for getting a good hotel rate, and then share your own!

Related Story
    Get the Best Hotel Rate
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Getting a Great Hotel Rate

Best rates for a hotel?

If you have hotel points, you should consider cashing them in to save $$$ or euros, especially in Europe, where hotel rates are high.

I know it's slightly off-topic, but free beats the lowest rates most days of the week.

dh

Hmmm, I don't really have any particular strategies for getting a cheaper rate, other than to book directly with the hotel rather than on a booking site. I'm ashamed to say I rarely even do the easy thing, which is to ASK for a lower rate. I did do it once (at a Super 8) and it didn't work...but just because it fails once doesn't mean it always will! I'll have to do a little better next time.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Hmmm, I don't really have any particular strategies for getting a cheaper rate, other than to book directly with the hotel rather than on a booking site. I'm ashamed to say I rarely even do the easy thing, which is to ASK for a lower rate. I did do it once (at a Super 8) and it didn't work...but just because it fails once doesn't mean it always will! I'll have to do a little better next time.
    I, too, look for special rates directly on a hotel's website. I'm not comfortable asking directly for a cheaper rate but I have asked if there is anything available at a lower rate---answer has always been no--"it's our high season" or "we are nearly fully booked". So maybe next time I'll muster the courage and just ask for a better rate to see if it works.

I do all kinds of things. First, I'm a member of a few professional organizations that have benefits programs with certain hotels. So there is potential discounts there. Same thing with College Alumni Association - it pays to stay connected to your school!

One time I got an upgraded room but at the regular room price - it was clear as day on my Passport that it was my birthday, and wow did I ever get a PHENOMENAL room!!

I also do a lot of my hotel booking directly with the hotels - mostly boutique hotels, usually 3*** and just email or fax them asking them what are the amenities in the room, when I am traveling and what is their BEST price for the room. If I got the hotel info and have seen listed rates, most of the time, my offers have come in well below the published rates, regardless of currency fluctuations.

The long & short of it is, the hotel does not want to sit with empty rooms! I also have the option of being able to book on fairly short notice and I actually prefer to travel in shoulder season, or whenever. Can't STAND summer season, ANYWHERE!! Everywhere is too crowded in the summer and you won't get as much negotiation as in the other times of the year. Also, I let them know that I'll get back to them because I am checking with other hotels so they know there is competition!

Can you do this at a 5*****? Maybe only by walking in and taking a chance on the day of arrival. But depending upon what you want to spend, with their "discount" it still might be rather pricey, even with a reduced rate. I have been in 5***** but I landed there due to the fact that I was on a small tour; just got lucky. Every now and then, I land in a nice one - in Rome, I had a fabulous apartment just off the Via Veneto! (around the corner from all the five stars!!) So wonderful surprises can be had when you least expect them. Ask, compare, shop around and MAKE FRIENDS when you travel because you never know when those friends can help you make great connections/hook-ups on future trips; inside info always helps, MORE than you could ever imagine!!

Good luck! There are deals to be had, just use the right phrases when you're approaching the sales staff and you might be very pleasantly surprised. What's the worst that can happen? They say no? Another place might say yes!! ESPECIALLY DURING THESE TRYING TIMES!! Go for it! I imagine some places will be jumping at the chance to sell a room. Go get yours!
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

When I plan out a trip - I find my desired hotel destinations. I than sign up for email announcements/discounts etc. from this hotel. I have found in this economy I get great last minute deals. I may book with a credit card and cancel if I can change out to a better deal through an announced discount through email. I am finding that if I am sure of my stay and the dates I will submit to the prepaid room rate. No cancellation - I have found this to have worked as the better deal in the last year.

Hi Ramon,

I agree, I have a friend who signs up for offers from every site possible. He ends up mixing and matching and doing stuff like flight plus hotel to italy for 2 days for a total of 100 euros for 2. Incredible.

Booking ultra early is key.

I would say for the best rates always try and book for the middle of the week as these are business days, so the Hotel will be emptier and usually lower prices to attract more visitors. Friday to Monday are the most expensive days as this is when the majority of people have time off and thus demand is high so they charge a higher price.

I am first time visiting this nice forum, my freinds are alwasys asking me for the good recourses to read out and now I am gonna suggest them this nice one

My last two trips, I found a better rate on the hotel's website than I could get calling the hotel directly. On my most recent trip for a family emergency, I checked the rate online, called the hotel where they could not match the rate. I asked if they had a family emergency rate and found they had one, but no one on duty could okay the change. I told them I would reserve online for the better rate ($9/night better) and asked that the person with authority give the the better rate when they got there. When I checked in, I had saved an additional $7.50/night for a total savings of $16.50. The previous trip, I got an online rate $10/night lower than the "conference rate" and $5/night lower than the lowest quoted when I called the facility.
    On a trip to Hawaii several years ago, the opposite was the case. I saved $25/night and got an upgraded room simply by calling the hotel. I guess the moral of the story is to try it both ways and take the best you can get!

+ Reply to Thread