Poll: What's the best way to spend a long layover?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: Long Layovers

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: Long Layovers

We've all been there -- stuck in an airport for hours thanks to an inconvenient connection or an unexpected flight delay. What's the best way to pass the time during a long layover? Vote in our poll!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: Long Layovers

I guess it depends on how im feeling and how much time i have. Most of the time i read and listen to the ipod. Sometimes i shop. other times i will take a nap... There have been time where i have done all of them

I avoid flights with layovers every time if possible but on the off chance that I have a layover of any kind, I usually find a wi fi spot and answer e mails or look up stuff for my trip, etc.

I hate layovers.. i just want to get to my destination already.. I try to avoid them to.. but i always bring a good book and my mp3 player in case of delays

I voted for books all the way. Airports and airplanes are where I catch up on all the reading I want to do!

I laughed a little to see how anti-social a group we are -- nobody strikes up conversations with other travelers? Personally, I try not to talk to anybody either. I just want to get where I'm going and not get stuck talking to some long-winded or potentially creepy person.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I just had a two-hour layover in Charlotte on Tuesday! While that's not exactly "long" I did have to occupy my time...I had a latte, read a book, checked my e-mail and touched up my makeup (as I was off to a business function). In certain cities, I like when there's a bit of time before boarding so I can have a nice lunch (a Cuban sandwich at the airport in Miami, for example).

Every once in awhile I'll strike up conversation with the person sitting next to me on the plane -- I mean, if I'm THAT close to them I feel like I should say hi! But I worry about bothering others who may be reading or napping. In the airport, everyone just seems so tired and travel-weary...I avoid in case they are cranky

Quote Originally Posted by soliteyah View Post
    I voted for books all the way. Airports and airplanes are where I catch up on all the reading I want to do!

I laughed a little to see how anti-social a group we are -- nobody strikes up conversations with other travelers? Personally, I try not to talk to anybody either. I just want to get where I'm going and not get stuck talking to some long-winded or potentially creepy person.

Newspaper Crossword puzzles and Jumble

I have Priority Pass (prioritypass.com) which allows me access to the first class lounges in almost any airport in the world. The cost is $27 per visit but much less than the airlines charge. (AA charges $50 for a visit) You have a nice quiet place to hang out, free snacks and drinks and access to a personal computer or you can use your own. Restrooms are very well maintained and there are couches and other great seating as well as charging spots for your electronics. If you fly at least 6 or 7 times a year, it pays to get the pass.

Like everyone else, I read or shop. I also take out my laptop, but I hate the exorbitant wifi charges at airports so that's rare.
    TripDiva

Pull out the Kindle and put my nose in an ebook, chat with fellow bored passengers, have a drink, grab a bite. I have occasionally laid down on seats pushed together, but never fall asleep.

Re: Poll of the Week: Long Layovers.

When hanging out in London, Heathrow is not an option I take a bus or the underground to Harrods to get my
    hair cut. Surprisingly - very reasonable. Then a pint or two @ Harrods 'Green Man Pub.'

Only once was I weighlayed in the airport itself and slept on the floor with everyone else.

The best layover we had was in LA on the way back from Hong Kong. After clearing customs we still had six hours to kill. Fortunately, I knew my way around LA and had planned ahead. We checked our luggage, caught a cab to Redondo Beach, played in the water and sun (wonderful after a steerage-class trans-pacific flight), got a good meal on the pier, and got back to LAX with an hour to spare.

I find it very, very boring, just like long flights themselves.....i really don't want to start the book I've chosen for the flight, and usually end up in the book shop buying 2 or 3 more.....
    Jo.
    Jo.

If it is a long layover I am out of the airport. Rented a car for the day at SFO and went to Fisherman's Wharf. At LAX we also rented a car anad went to Santa Monica for lunch, then to the La Brea Tar Pits Museum.

Years ago got stuck in Shannon Ireland for 24 hrs...they wouldn't let us leave, I so wished we could have got out and used our time touring.

Many airports now have tour desks for layover tours...What a great idea! Maybe I should start a business in my hometown?!

If it is a long layover I am out of the airport. Rented a car for the day at SFO and went to Fisherman's Wharf. At LAX we also rented a car anad went to Santa Monica for lunch, then to the La Brea Tar Pits Museum.

Years ago got stuck in Shannon Ireland for 24 hrs...they wouldn't let us leave, I so wished we could have got out and used our time touring.

Many airports now have tour desks for layover tours...What a great idea! Maybe I should start a business in my hometown?!

Longest layover I've had was actually built into the flight; Hong Kong-NY, had an overnight in Tokyo. The room at Narita was included (breakfast too!) and so it was tolerable & made the trip easier. While I typically try to avoid layovers, it's not always possible & always seem to be hectic more than leisurely. IF there's time, perhaps shop or talk. One never knows who one might meet!
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

+ Reply to Thread