Poll: How do you ensure that your hotel room is clean?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: Hotel Cleanliness

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: Hotel Cleanliness

Bed bugs, unwashed bedspreads, germs from the previous guest's cold ... there could be a few surprises waiting for you in your next hotel room. What do you do to ensure that your room is clean and germ-free? Vote in our poll!

Related Story
    How to Find a Clean Hotel Room
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: Hotel Cleanliness

I am embarassed to say I don't do more..but I checked "read reviews" and "look for bedbugs" (the latter on the frequent urgings of my grandmother who is deathly afraid of them)...

Clean travels!

This is one of those situations where I am too trusting, probably. I read hotel reviews before booking to make sure there aren't any signs of trouble, but once I get to a hotel I don't do much of anything. I do take a good look at the bedspread, and if it looks at all questionable I will avoid it. But a few weeks ago I was at a Hilton Garden Inn that had the loveliest, whitest, squishiest-looking duvets, and I couldn't resist wrapping myself up in them.

I lived to tell the tale!
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I travel with clorox wipes and do a wipe down of the room's most touched areas. Or that we will be touching; remote control, light switches and EVERYTHING in the bathroom, as well as doorknobs. And avoid bedspreads!
    “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” - Fitzhugh Mullan

Who decided the bed bugs came from Europe. I find that quite offensive! I have travelled all over the globe and never been bitten -YET!

Bed bugs are every where, but there are some outbreaks each year in different areas across the globe....even on cruise ships. There are lots of bugs which our great grandparents spent all their time trying to avoid, like ****roaches, and they're fairly rare today...but they still exist and every now and then they break loose, and cause a panic.
    Plus, like chasing some germs, lots of people now rely on spray on cleansers both for their bodies and houses, and miss out on the basic soap and hot water, which is the 1st cure for bugs and disease. When did we last take all our bedding out to be disinfected by hot sunshine? When did we run bedclothes through the hottest wash? And, by travelling so much more than any generation, we can carry some little creature from country to country, whether Europe or not.....
    Jo.

Why the stars for an insect???? My final biology exams included the study of blata americanus- the american ****roach....no stars for that!!!
    Jo.
    Last edited by jocap; 09-28-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Hi Jo :-) .....I rarely see ****roaches these days, but....on my last trip to Cairns I found a different species of ****roach. These you could put a saddle on and ride them.

A stranger's just a friend you've never met.

Oh, YUK!!!
    Thanks for the laugh! I can't understand the ***** for a normal word, though.....what about the ****erel in the back yard with the hens?
    Amazing differences in language from country to country!
    Jo.

I am a bit disappointed for the fact that this year's "Dirtiest Hotel Guide" from TripAdvisor is much less detailed than last year's one, which allowed you to search for the worst hotels in any specific location (country and/or city). This time we only get the worst 10 per area, but no chance of narrowing down the search to the places we intend to travel...

Even if all the hotels have a staff, clean room between the passenger and goods is inevitable that some bacteria in the room, may have skipped.Some projects, you have to remember that include information such as door handles, TV remote control and telephone. Some hotel cleaning staff may be required to destroy them, but often they are not ignored.

If you are concerned about sanitation room, it is also a good idea, so cheap slippers, so you can avoid walking barefoot, and use them in the shower. Toe fungus and other bacteria can pick up the foot, if you're not careful.

+ Reply to Thread