Poll: Do you check bags when you fly? (Select all that apply.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: Checking Bags

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: Checking Bags

Are you the type of traveler that squeezes everything into a carry-on, or do you check a bag or two on every trip? Vote in our poll!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: Checking Bags

If I can possibly help it, I won't check a bag. I hate waiting at baggage claim, am paranoid that the airline will lose my luggage, and refuse to pay those obnoxious fees.

That said, I did check bags when I was going over to Scotland to live for nine months. I had to take a ton of clothes, books, etc.
    Last edited by soliteyah; 05-29-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: fix spelling error
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Most of my trips are short, so I carry on.

When I travel on vacation with my wife, I get stuck checking a bag or 2.

Since I have status with United, I don't have to pay a fee.

Several years ago my husband's luggage was lost on our way to a Transatlantic cruise out of Rio. Never again. My luggage doesn't leave my side now. I have learned to pack smart and light and enjoy the freedom it allows me. I only bring clothes I know I will wear and mix and matcxh tops and pants. We still cruise and I smile as I board looking at all the pieces of luggage people bring with them traveling. I am leaving for a 18 day vacation/cruise to Europe next month with my small carry-on and little back pack. Such a pleasure.

These days we normally travel with a package, which includes a suitcase weighing 23k, and a carry on bag, so it doesn't apply.
    Previously, we've travelled round N. Europe with those small, wheeled cases, and stopped at laundrettes.
    Jo.
    Jo.

I checked I always check one bag. However, on my recent cruise they lost my luggage and I didn't get it until the 6th day of the cruise. So, I'm going to be packing lighter and smarter in the future.

I bring a 26" suitcase to Europe with me on a 6-8 week summer trip. Since I home exchange, there is always extra room in the suitcase. What I can't stand is people trying to push a suitcase into the overhead bin that really should not be there. Next year I am going to try to get everything into a 22" expandable bag. The real issue shoes. I only bring the pair I wear and one extra--and I make sure they are broken in before I leave. Europe is not Outer Mongolia. If you need something, you can always buy it.

I should point out that I do not load up on purchases in Europe either. I cleaned my house out of crap on ebay several years ago and am not about to load it up again. No one wants that stuff when you want to unload it. The less you have, the easier it is to downsize as well--and eventually I will need to do that.

+ Reply to Thread