+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rafting

Share/Bookmark

Default Rafting

I am interested in a whitewater rafting trip in the SW U.S. Has anyone here rafted in this area before? I would appreciate any past experiences or tips for this area... Thanks in advance

Default Re: Rafting

In the southwest, there are lots of outfitters that do the Grand Canyon. The time for that is usually at least a week. A one day rafting experience in the GC can be had from Peach Springs, AZ. The trip is organized by Hualapai River Rafters and you go from the Diamond Creek put in to the West Rim of the Grand Canyon in a motorized raft. The trip takes about 3 hours. At the end of the trip, you get a ride straight up in a helicopter. It is not a cheap rafting trip. I went several years ago and it was $250 per person. I have no idea what it costs now.

Other than the Grand Canyon, you could check into some of the outfitters that run trips out of Moab, UT, and to many companies operating on the Arkansas and Colorado Rivers in Colorado.

Remember most of the water in the southwest is allocated for drinking or irrigation. The rivers have been tamed. That means that in AZ and NM there is not a lot of opportunity to raft whitewater.

Thank you! I really appreciate this information. I have been to Moab in the past for some rafting and absolutely loved it. I have never been to New Mexico or Arizona though for white water; sounds great, thanks for the advice. What is the best time of the year to go if I am looking for class 4 and 5 rapids?

The rafting is the roughest in the spring all over due to the spring run off.

If you want a multiday trip on the Colorado through the Grand Canyon, you need to book with an outfitter well in advance. I do want to do that one at some point.

I am off to Finland in a few days on a home exchange. They have rafting there in the East near Russia and I am thinking about it.

I have rafted once in Europe in Austria as well as all over the US and Canada. I always look for whitewater trips on holiday, but I have never done one that was more than one night out. The toilets are cans with holes. That is the downside of a multiday trip.

Have fun and give us a trip report wherever you do it.

In Idaho there are a lot of outfitters on the Snake. I have never rafted there. I went to Jackson Hole, WY, once years ago and the kids (now grown and outta here) were too young for whitewater so we had to settle for a boring float trip.

For those who are planning 2010 raft trips, the Rio Grande Gorge in the Taos area should be epic. Snow fall in Southern Colorado and Northern NM has been awesome, well above average. Assuming we get a couple added storms and a little less sunshine, the snow should remain to melt and flow big! Lots of river guides out of Taos.

We post a blog on our web site for Indian Hills Inn, Taos Plaza. The direct link to the blog is: Talk About Taos Tourism . We also post activities for the area, some local specials, and hotel deals. You almost always get the best value and most accurate booking direct!

Check out this website and email or call http://rivers-oceans.com/ they work with all rafting outfitters in Grand Canyon and are experienced guides. You can get comprehensive information quickly and for free.

There is another adventure company based out of Arizona called, Just Roughin It. They do Grand Canyon rafting tours and have some exceptional day trips and 7-10 day trips as well. Check them out here -- www.justroughinit.com.

Los Rios River Runners is NM's oldest and largest rafting guide plus they offer other adventures. http://losriosriverrunners.com/ They also have a summer sales office at Indian Hills Inn, Taos Plaza in downtown Taos, NM. They offer several levels of Rio Grande and Rio Chama river trips. For more Taos area information, check out the hotel Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/IndianHillsI...78100032226381 then click up to the wall for latest details and goings on.

+ Reply to Thread