+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Itinerary Planning

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Default Itinerary Planning

How do you plan the perfect itinerary for your trips? Check out our tips below and then share your own!

Related Story:
    How to Create the Perfect Itinerary
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Wink Re: Itinerary Planning

On trips of longer than two weeks, I often plan for (and justify) a day with no scheduled activities as a "laundry day." Moreover, some of my fondest recollections of places have been of those days when I lived as a neighborhood resident and did my laundry. No -- it's not that confusing; and you often experience kindness and help from the locals that far exceeds the convenience of having your duds clean.

Default Re: Itinerary Planning

When traveling with my wife, we generally cruise... and she handles all...

For road trip, generally I take ownership... it's a mix of google maps (I used to use AAA tripix) then a excel spread sheet to plan time... add in time to wander... plan long days on the first and last days, shorter days in the middle...

I will do 800+ miles on a first or last day... and as few as 100 in athe middle...

I look for places to stay that are interesting... motel near dining... if possible within walking distance...

I try to find things that are local... special to the place... Interseting restaurants... cheesy tourist stops...

I am currently planning a road trip, meeting the daughter with her car in Chicago... then west, to Mt Rushmore, to Yellowstone, to Grand Tetons... then home near San Francisco... 6 or 7 days... We need to visit Wall Drug... Deadwood...

Last road trip was San Francisco to Mojave... then onto Rt 66 at Barstow... to Albuquerque, then OK city, to Memphis, to Knoxville Tn to DC... Lots of Rt 66 sites... Bricktown in OK, Ft Smith and Little Rock in AK, a BBQ live music bar in Memphis plus Graceland... the Rymand in Nashville... and Jefferson's Monticello on the last day...

Randy
    Randy Hees
    San Mateo California

Wandering the west and elsewhere since 1955... Occasionally Blogging about it at http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

The trip that made me most nervous to plan was a week in London on our own after our 2 week tour of the UK. There were so many places we wanted to see. I had each of us do an A B C list to narrow down the sights. I went on the internet and used their public transportation quides for finding the subways from our hotel to the sights (gave times and the lines name and stops along with average time of trip great service) and put each area on a 3X5 by area so we could go to all the places in the same district the same day. I also had the way back to our hotel listed on the 3X5 card. I only needed four cards and I color coded them then copied a map and walking tour that applied and paperclipped it to the 3X5. This fit easily in my purse, we saved time by seeing places next to each other so everyone got their A's and B's we even had a couple of C's, and I was not frazeled.

Quote Originally Posted by bwise2 View Post
    The trip that made me most nervous to plan was a week in London on our own after our 2 week tour of the UK. There were so many places we wanted to see. I had each of us do an A B C list to narrow down the sights. I went on the internet and used their public transportation quides for finding the subways from our hotel to the sights (gave times and the lines name and stops along with average time of trip great service) and put each area on a 3X5 by area so we could go to all the places in the same district the same day. I also had the way back to our hotel listed on the 3X5 card. I only needed four cards and I color coded them then copied a map and walking tour that applied and paperclipped it to the 3X5. This fit easily in my purse, we saved time by seeing places next to each other so everyone got their A's and B's we even had a couple of C's, and I was not frazeled.
    What a cool system! I do the same thing -- try to look up all the subway stops for attractions I want to see, then group them by neighborhood, but I am not usually so organized with index cards and such. Good for you.

What I often do is get a free map from my hotel or the local visitor center, and circle all the places I want to see on the map. That gives me a visual idea of where everything is. As we see each thing, I check it off on the map.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

+ Reply to Thread