+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 22 Absolutely FREE things to do in DC

Share/Bookmark

Default 22 Absolutely FREE things to do in DC

DC features world-class museums, monuments, parks, and public spaces. And many, many of them are free – absolutely free! -- ranging from all the museums of the Smithsonian Institution to the C&O Canal. Check 'em out: http://www.dguides.com/washingtondc/...washington-dc/

Default Re: 22 Absolutely FREE things to do in DC

There are a lot more than 22 things to do for free in Washington, DC. I am a licensed guide there and know all about these things, so ask if you have any questions and I would be glad to help.

Insofar as the Smithsonian museums being "free", I always tell tour groups they are free for foreigners. Americans pay for them on April 15th whether they use them or lot. Even Americans do not, however, have to pay any more for them when they visit. And the same goes for most of the other "free" things in Washington, DC.

One of my most favorite free things in the summer is to go to a military band concert on the steps of the US Capitol.

Quote Originally Posted by LSKahn View Post
    There are a lot more than 22 things to do for free in Washington, DC. I am a licensed guide there and know all about these things, so ask if you have any questions and I would be glad to help.

One of my most favorite free things in the summer is to go to a military band concert on the steps of the US Capitol.
    What is the best way to keep this trip fun, yet educational for myself and a 12 year old? I want to see as much as possible. How much time do you think we will need for things, such as the Mall, Smithsonian, Capitol, Zoo, Bureau of Engraving and a couple more museums. And how do I get that White House tour?
    “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” - Fitzhugh Mullan

Good stuff shared and its really interesting.

Keep it up

The only way to get a White House tour is through your Congressman or Senator. Apply about 6 months in advance and there is no guarantee. Even if you are told you have a tour, the White House can cancel tours for any reason. You only see 4 rooms.

I have been telling people for years that The Capitol is much more impressive than The White House. No one believes me until they take both tours. Then they all agree that The Capitol is more interesting and you can just walk right in and get a tour (wise to reserve if you are in a bus group).

For me...the most overlooked things to do in Washington DC is the back side of the Lincoln Memorial. Totally peaceful back there with a great view... The Newseum is also amazing, although it is not free...

+ Reply to Thread