+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Keep Your Home Safe on Vacation

Share/Bookmark

Default How to Keep Your Home Safe on Vacation

Do you take preventative steps to keep your house safe while you're on vacation, such as asking someone to look after your house or notifying the police that you will be away? If so, please share them with us!

Related Story:
    Keep Your Home Safe on Vacation: 9 Essential Tips
    Caroline
    Assistant Editor
    Independent Traveler

Default Re: How to Keep Your Home Safe on Vacation

If you home exchange, someone is always in your home. Your home is, therefore, safe on vacation.

If I am away and not exchanging (it does happen but not too often), a neighbor keeps an eye on my house. Of course, I return the favor when I am away.

Hi,

I have read some tips about keeping your house safe while on vacation. One idea is to tell your nieghbors that you will be home swapping and ask them to come by on the first day. They can meet the exchangers, introduce themselves and make them at home. This also lets the swappers know that the house is being kept an eye on by the neighbors.

It is also very important to fill out a home exchange agreement. Most swappers don't do this, but you really should!

Also, remember that home exchangers almost NEVER steal or damage anything on purpose. Insurance companies actually encourage you to have a swapper and prefer you home swap than leave your house vacant.

Good luck! Sophia

Using a Electric String, Alarm, Security code on the gate and other way to safe the home. It is basically CCTV Camera attached front side, back side and left and right side and inside the home.

Sophia, a home exchange agreement is not worth the paper it is printed on. I never do them. Waste of time--and I am a retired lawyer. What are you going to do if your swappers mess up your house? Sue? The agreement is legally unenforceable. Home exchanges are based on trust. Your insurance is that your swappers are just as worried about their stuff as you are about yours. That is all there is to it.

Now, I did do an exchange agreement for my Turkish exchangers to support their request for a visa at the US Embassy, but I never asked for a signed copy. I am going to Turkey on a swap this summer. It will be my 43rd exchange, so I do know what I am talking about. I have been exchanging since 1990.

I don't do "home exchanges" with anyone, nor would I want to. I guess I'm from the old school of taking pictures of my home and valuables before I leave, as well as simply using timers and alarms of course.

But I am willing to invest in one of those security systems where I can watch my home from my computer or phone. Since it is always with me.
    “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” - Fitzhugh Mullan

+ Reply to Thread