+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much money do i need to travel Australia for 7 months?

Share/Bookmark

Default How much money do i need to travel Australia for 7 months?

I am going traveling in Australia on the 11,2010. Starting in cairns then moving down to Sydney etc. I am going with my other half and we would be staying in hostels etc backpacking around. I was thinking around 2000 each for 7 months is this enough. any help is more than welcome.

Default Re: How much money do i need to travel Australia for 7 months?

You will need a lot more than what you have suggested. Australia is very expensive. Food, for example, costs about twice as much as in the US. I would guess you would need at least the equivalent of $2,000 a month if you stayed only in Backpackers.

Remember that many of the zoos and attractions in Australia are expensive as well. It would be a shame to go that far and then be unable to visit any of them. You need to rethink your budget unless you plan to work while you are in Australia or camp 100% of the time. I also assume you will be using the long distance buses. You need to look at what sort of bus pass or transportation you will be using as well.

My recent 6 week trip down under (4 weeks Australia and 2 weeks NZ) came in at about $6,000-$7,000 including the airfare. I was home exchanging in both locations and spent only 10 nights in hotels and/or B&B's (no backpackers). I did also have the use of a car so I had to pay for gasoline when I used it. I did use a lot of public transportation when I visited in Melbourne and Christchurch.

I can't even imagine how you could do a trip for 4,000 pounds for 7 months even if you camped.

I'm absolutely no expert on Australia, but when students from the UK have applied to do a gap year, travelling round Oz, they've had to show that they had a return ticket home, and several 1000 Oz $$ in the bank....one of my nephews had to show 4,000, and that was years ago. I just know that he and his mates worked day and night for months to prove they had the money, before immigration would accept them as backpackers. Blaine, have you been accepted by immigration? Or do you have relations there already? 7 months sounds a long time on very little.....
    Jo.

Hi Blaine ....jocap and LSKahn are correct. You need much more than 2,000 pounds each. Seven months is a long time when you consider buying food and other essentials every day. Not to mention the cost of travelling. Immigration will want to know if you have enough money to last for a seven month holiday.
    To help you out you could have got a work visa and did some part time work on your travels....many people do this
    A lovely part of Australia though, which I have travelled by both 'plane and car over the years. I do hope you manage it and have a wonderful time

A stranger's just a friend you've never met.

Hey!!!
    I read your post. It only depends on your budget. If you have enough money to spend then you can have more leisure and fun here and if you lack in it then you have to reduce your list. Today is the time "How much you spend is less". It is human nature...

Hi, Jack- I agree that it's up to you as to how much you spend, and that you can have fun with little....it's the immigration issue here. Perhaps we spend too much time watching TV progs. about Australian Customs!!....but if you turn up in any country in the world, without a visa for a long term stay and enough money not to be a burden on that country, you'll be straight back on the plane! You have to have either addresses where you're staying, or the money for hostels; insurance against illness, and clearance to do temporary jobs which are not a threat to that country's unemployed. Thousands of Brits do the backpacking trek every year, and the Oz government is wise to all the issues....
    Jo.

Hi Jo ...you are 100% correct, that is exactly how Australian customs work.
    It isn't what anyone thinks they can manage on, the government needs to know you can definately manage for the length of time you specify you will be here.

Hi Jo & Bindi
    Thanks for widening my area of knowledge. But I was not aware about it that getting a working visa is so simple in any country...I just thought it would be a long process so I suggested that...Thanks for your valuable information about working there in Australia.

Hello Jack...I was going to say "Hi Jack" but it didn't sound quite right :-)
    Many many people follow the fruit season around, picking all kinds of fruit. Of course many more find work in hotels or pubs, a few hours here and there.
    I once picked up a Danish hitchhiker up between Port Douglas and Cairns, he had been fruit picking up there. This was in November and I told him if he made it to Adelaide in Jan/Feb/March to 'phone me (Adelaide is my hometown) as the fruit picking season is on then...grapes, oranges etc. He told me he was meeting up with a friend....another Dane, and I told him that was fine as we had 2 spare bedrooms.
    Lo and behold I got a 'phone call from him and I picked him and his friend up. After enjoying a few days sight seeing I then dropped them off on the road which leads to the Barossa. They thanked me profusely but I was just pleased I had been able to help them out. They were having a ball :-)

i have friends that traveled to australia and i'm pretty sure they budgeted about double that amount. i'd love to take a trip there but i think thats just a bit out of my financial range =/ good luck!

Well the budget you are considering is very less as compared to that you need. You need approx 3000 pounds each month. Because seven months is very long time and you need a place to live, have food, laundry and most expensive thing travelling. The best thing that you can do is to go for small job options on the way to your places you visit. As this is the method opt by lot of travelers to help them financially. You should opt for a work visa to work there legally.

The other night while I was in Cairns I was watching a British Customs programme...payback time :-)
    An Australian man arrived at Heathrow with plans to holiday in Britain for three months. He was only carrying $2,000 with him and didn't have any access to any more money. The customs people were convinced he was there to work...they turned him around and put him straight back on to the first flight back to Australia.
    So the two of us have just spent one week in Cairns, not counting the airfares it cost us approx $2,500 dollars which did include accommodation, car hire for 4 days and petrol, food and a trip up to Kuranda via Skytrain (up) and Skyrail (down). Food up there was the most expensive item.

If you are a spendthrifter then their is a problem else your budget is sufficient.

NO! There is NO way you could live in Australia on that kind of money, even if you slept under bridges - NOT recommended. Get a work visa and you will find plenty of jobs in pubs, fruit picking and other seasonal work. Since experiencing the cost of eating out in the USA we have completely given up eating in restaurants and cafes in Australia; I would rather save the money to spend on some place where there is more value for money. We will be giving Australia a miss and heading overseas again next year - it's a great place to live but you need an Australian salary to live here for any length of time.

Hi Blaine,
    I think your journey is over.Can you give us an idea about your experience?

They probably can't - still sleeping under a bridge in Shepparton or similar?

+ Reply to Thread