+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How would you protect your tripod and camera while staying in hostels?

Share/Bookmark

Default How would you protect your tripod and camera while staying in hostels?

I will be backpacking in Europe for a few months (this is my first time doing so.) I'm bringing camera gear and photography is a big reason I'm going on this trip.

While staying in hostels, what security measures would you recommend for keeping my backpack, DSLR, tripod, and everything safe, specifically while sleeping and taking a shower?

I have a 70-L backpack (Osprey Aether) and it's great, but it's big and bulky. Is it safe to leave on my bed? Do you think I can actually lug that thing next to 'just outside' my shower and keep it in the corner of my eye?

Some hostels have lockers, though I've heard stories that certain places aren't reliable and the staff can go through them. Having my own lock will fix that, right?

At the very least I will bring my money belt to the shower and hang it on the shower head. And put my camera and two lenses and hard drive and memory cards in a separate bag that I'll put right outside the shower.

I suppose I could put my tripod in a bag too, so my question is, do you think this hassle is worth it or are there better ways of securing my stuff?

p.s. I plan on covering my backpack with a rain or duffel cover and sleeping on it at night.

Thanks!

Default Re: How would you protect your tripod and camera while staying in hostels?

Some hostels would have lockers

Lockable back pack pouch or suitcase???

I have a airline security box I want to bring with me when I travel To Europe, Put my camping gear in , But it will be a problem to Cart and carry.

Default Re: How would you protect your tripod and camera while staying in hostels?

Hmm, good question. I'm pretty sure you can buy a small lock for your bag as well as something kind of similar to a bicycle lock, ie that you can use to chain your backpack to the bed. Between those two things, your bag would probably be too much of a hassle to steal, especially if you're just down the hall for a shower. (Of course, someone could still use a knife to slit through the bag and steal things that way.)

I think taking your money belt to the shower and sleeping with it at night is definitely a smart move. And having a lock/using lockers is smart too. But beyond that, I wouldn't spend TOO much time worrying about it. 99% of the other travelers you meet will be perfectly decent and have no interest in robbing you. Once you've taken the most common-sense precautions, just be nice to everyone and trust in the basic goodness of people.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I know this post was a while ago, but maybe someone else will find it useful. I'm not sure if we can name brands here, but there's a company that makes slashproof travel bags (you can search for it) and they make almost a net style bag out of cables for camera equipment that you could secure to an object. There might even be one big enough for your other pack.

If they dont have any lockers it may be best not to stay there or dont let it leave your side I have in the past used a wire cage look on google and chained it to a post inside the hostel

It is alright to mention a product that you have personally used and believe might be of interest to other travelers. We are all here to help each other make the most out of our travels and so a good recommendation based on personal experience is always appreciated. Some people find things that others haven't yet discovered and many people come here for all sorts of advice for things that might be named specifically, from a hotel, to a suitcase, airline or comfy travel shoes! Good advice is welcome. We can detect and remove posts from those who come only to sell, rather than make a good recommendation.

Thank you for being so mindful of board rules. But I'll be the first one to say how long and far I went with a great pair of Timberland walking shoes - 3 continents! But others have done just as well with other shoes!! The more we know, the better our trips will be
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

+ Reply to Thread