Poll: What's the dumbest thing you've seen someone do on a plane?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: Foolish Passenger Behavior

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: Foolish Passenger Behavior

We've all seen examples of our fellow travelers behaving badly. What's the dumbest thing you've ever seen another air traveler do? Vote in our poll!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: Foolish Passenger Behavior

I saw someone kick a flight attendant earlier this year.

She was stood in a passenger's seat so he asked her to move. Within seconds he got really agitated and pushed past her, before deliberately kicking her once he was seated.

The flight attendant immediately moved away, asked a supervisor to intervene and moved to another part of the plane. It was very well handled on their part. Of course the passenger denied it, but there was no doubt that the attendants knew exactly what had happened.

We were on a 5 1/2 hour flight to the Red Sea, in Egypt, and an hour in, were served drinks.
    The man in the aisle seat next to me fumbled with the lager being handed to him, and it spilt all over his jeans.
    Furious, he stormed off tothe loo, removed his jeans, which he hung over the ovens heating the meals for later, then stood just behind the pilot's door in his underpants.
    The hostesses tried to remove him, and he began shouting that it was their fault for mishanding him the drink.
    In the end, the pilot had to come out and send someone for a blanket to wrap round him, and one to put on his seat.
    The man spent the rest of the flight wrapped up, with his eyes shut and his headphones on.
    Jo.
    Jo.

What I cannot understand is the compulsion that passengers seem to have to rush out of their seat the minute the airplane is parked at the gate. They are so busy scrambling for their oversized bags in the overhead compartments that they don't realize that they're bumping into other passengers and then blocking you from getting your own things. Also, the people who won't just be courteous and allow you to leave your row but rush past you so that you get separated from your husband/child while the tide of people push past to be the first out of the plane. I have to admit that i see this behavior much more in other countries than in the US but if everyone would just be a little more patient and courteous, we could all exit the plane in an orderly manner.

The plan empties from the front, so why rush past someone seated in a row in front of you unless it's clear that they're nowhere near getting their things together? Does it really save that much time to push in front of me and almost knock my son down to save that 10 seconds that you might have had to wait for us to gather our things once we had enough room to stand up?

Common courtesy and patience - not nearly enough of either in my latest travels.

The strange thing is that I see this behaviour mainly on holiday flights, where there's no point at all in rushing off, because your suitcases are still on the plane!!
    When the aeroplane is mainly for commuters, who only have hand luggage, there doesn't seem to be the same scramble...some continue to read their papers as though unaware we've landed.
    Perhaps it's because holiday makers only have one flight a year, and are afraid they'll miss their connections?
    I've seen the same behaviour in small airports with one or two gates....the flight is called, and passengers begin to queue by the door....they have allocated seats, and the plane's not going without them....chill, sit, read a book....
    Jo.
    Jo.

Jo, I laughed so much at your story! People are bizarre.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Talking about the whole rushing to get off the plane thing - I was once on a domestic flight and as the wheels touched the tarmac on landing a man carrying his hand luggage comes rushing right from the back of the plane so as to be the first to disembark. I had to laugh when the stewardess sent him straight back to his seat at the back.

Unhappy Re: Poll of the Week: Foolish Passenger Behavior

Saw an attractive young woman board the plane, in economy class. Her seat was the middle seat of a row near the front. She was seated between two tired looking business men. She was wearing a wide brimmed straw hat and a bouqet of flowers. The hat hit her seatmates when she turned from side to side, which she did with great animation. She talked the man in the aisle seat into trading seats with her. He moved all of his stuff and she plopped down into the aisle seat, pushed the service button. When the flight attendant showed up, she handed her the hat and flowers and TOLD, not asked, her to stow them somewhere, and flew to her destination in much more comfort than she deserved to! I'll bet she did that every time she was assigned a middle seat.
    Last edited by DesrtDrmr; 04-25-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: misspelling

Monarch Airlines....scratch that....the plane was broken they put us on Neos, which was great BUT, we had MISS LOUD on the 737-800 and indeed the entire flight could here this one's indescribable laugh and chatter. It made a fairly short flight one of the longest ever because she never stopped. A little girl about 10 in my row was also clearly bothered and she and her sisters, younger, were perfect ladies.

I wasn't quite sure, but since we'd had an 8+ hour delay on account of the planes that MISS LOUD was perhaps rather drunk. Yet I got the feeling she'd have been loud (or worse) sober. Her guy did "shhh" her a few times to no avail and near the end I finally just said "shut up!" but it was hopeless.

You should have seen the face of the guy she was chatting up.....they knew each other.....at the end of the flight! He looked at me with utter desperation & an understood commiseration. Wow did he disappear fast! Funny because they were all heading to the same wedding at Lake Garda.

Nope, not hearing impaired....I checked for every indication. She proudly announced she'd be heard in the mountains....and laughed that laugh.

Into the cargo hold with you dear......or her man ought to feed her lots of sticky toffee on future flights! Could be another way to get on a "no fly" list. ANNOYING.
    Pretty much anything else I can and have tolerated on longer flights. This WAS the worst.
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

This can't compete with the man who stripped to his underwear during a flight, but about 2 years ago on a flight out of O'Hare, two men refused to turn off their cell phones so that the plane could take off, even after multiple requests from the flight attendants and glares from the rest of the passengers who wanted to get on with travel instead of sitting at the gate. These were not kids but rather men whom I judged to be in their 70s. Finally when threatened with having police called to remove them from the plane, they complied. Unless they were waiting for news about an organ transplant, I don't know what could have been so important that they had to use their phones right then.

French kissing with their dog...Seriously...
    “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” - Fitzhugh Mullan

+ Reply to Thread