Poll: How much of an itinerary do you put together before a trip?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: How Strict Is Your Itinerary?

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: How Strict Is Your Itinerary?

Do you create a detailed itinerary before a trip, or do you prefer to wing it? Vote in our poll!

Related Story
    Five Worst Trip Planning Mistakes (and How to Avoid Them)
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: How Strict Is Your Itinerary?

As many regular readers of IT know, I do most of my "big deal" trips with home exchanges. I generally do one side trip which necessitates staying out overnight. This year, during my home exchange in Istanbul, that side trip will be Cappadocia. That has all been worked out in advance including accommodation and discount airfare. I also have one day where I have engaged a professional guide to do a specialized tour for me. On another day I will be doing a tour of Istanbul called "Istanbul Eats". The rest of my 3 1/2 week stay is totally unscripted. Sure I want to see Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, The Grand Bazaar and the museums, but what day I will do which site is not laid out in advance. I have no idea how long I will want to linger at each site and I will be in Istanbul for 3 weeks so I do have the luxury to do the trip this way. This does not suit people who want to see all of Turkey in 3 weeks but it does suit me fine.

I will generally have an outline of a plan with key issues like travel and accomodation organised in advance, but like to leave detail for as late as possible for greater flexibility.

Rob.

We do an itinerary mostly to have the correct days (and times) to see various museums, etc. that are often closed on some days. And of course when we have guides or specific events (cooking class in Rome we have to have that sort of etched in stone. Besides the prepaid/preticketed we have quite a bit of wiggle room in our itinerary, sometimes listing things that would be appropriate for rainy or inclimate weather. In the end for us our mantra is always "we're on vacation". That is why we never have a place that doesn't have outdoor space for us to utilize. 41 days 'til Italy......

I do a mix of the second and third options. I'll outline at least one activity for each day, normally, and usually leave at least one morning or afternoon open. I always allow for some switching based on weather too.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

+ Reply to Thread