+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Way to Get to Yankee Stadium

Share/Bookmark

Cool Best Way to Get to Yankee Stadium

My family and I are going to Yankee Stadium in July and we are trying to decide how to get there. Our first thought was to drive since we also have free parking. Is it hard to get there? Is it safe to drive to? Or should we stay in a hotel outside the area and take a bus, train, or subway? Can anyone recommend a fair price hotel that is outside of the city?
    Thanks - DS

Default Re: Best Way to Get to Yankee Stadium

See on the USA board in the New York section where the same question has been put and answered.
    O.

We have tickets for the Yankees-Pirates game on June 14 and thought we've head into the Bronx (by subway) from Manhatten right after lunch and go to the zoo before the game. Any suggestions as to the best way to get to Yankee Stadium in time for the game would be much appreciated. Also, how much time should we allow? And are there any good restaurants near the stadium? (Maybe we should just get an expensive hotdog and eat it while we're watching the game!)

Thumbs up Re: Best Way to Get to Yankee Stadium

The subway is the best way to get to the stadium and you will see lots of other fans riding the train with you so you need not worry about being alone on the train. There really isn't anyplace to eat near the stadium, it's in a part of the Bronx that just doesn't offer up the type of restaurant atmosphere you'll find in Manhattan.

You don't say which zoo you're going to but I'll presume you'll be at the Bronx Zoo, if you're spending the day in the Bronx. There too you would over-pay for plain old snack food but the Bronx Zoo is in a different area than the Stadium and if you ask someone at the information area, you may find that there could be some good Italian restaurants not too far from the zoo - maybe a quick bus or cab ride from the zoo. There used to be a LOT of Italians living near Arthur Avenue and surrounding areas and so you might want to try that but otherwise,
    well, it wouldn't really be a true baseball experience if you go to famed, hallowed (Yes, I'm a Yankee fan) Yankee Stadium and have a really overpriced hotdog, ice cream and all the rest of the stuff! You get shagged financially but you'll have had the "complete experience" of being a fan at Yankee stadium

I think you will have a lot of fun, so long as you aren't a Red Sox fan!!
    Enjoy the Yankee game and Enjoy visiting my home city!

PS: If you want to see a less expensive but still very fun baseball game, consider going to see either the Brooklyn Cyclones (a Mets minor league club) or the Staten Island Yankees (minor club of you guessed it) for a great night, more intimate surroundings, nice family atmosphere and more affordable everything. I would recommend the Cyclones over the SI Yankees only because you can add to your fun by riding the real Cyclone ROLLER COASTER (the team's namesake) which is still rated as having one of the steepest drops of all rollercoasters - you can ride two times in a row for a special price. Then, there are arcade games, more rides, go carts (I so did my best race car manouvering and led the whole pack!!) and Nathans, the most famous place for a hotdog in ALL of NYC. My Dad grew up in Brooklyn (and I live here now!) and all he ever wants when he comes back to Brooklyn is to have some Nathans Hot Dogs; then he tells me all the stories he's told me before about how he came to Coney Island all the time as a boy - yeah, Dad, you mentioned it once or ten thousand times, lol
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

Talking Re: Best Way to Get to Yankee Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by HOST Bonjour
    The subway is the best way to get to the stadium and you will see lots of other fans riding the train with you so you need not worry about being alone on the train. There really isn't anyplace to eat near the stadium, it's in a part of the Bronx that just doesn't offer up the type of restaurant atmosphere you'll find in Manhattan.

You don't say which zoo you're going to but I'll presume you'll be at the Bronx Zoo, if you're spending the day in the Bronx. There too you would over-pay for plain old snack food but the Bronx Zoo is in a different area than the Stadium and if you ask someone at the information area, you may find that there could be some good Italian restaurants not too far from the zoo - maybe a quick bus or cab ride from the zoo. There used to be a LOT of Italians living near Arthur Avenue and surrounding areas and so you might want to try that but otherwise,
    well, it wouldn't really be a true baseball experience if you go to famed, hallowed (Yes, I'm a Yankee fan) Yankee Stadium and have a really overpriced hotdog, ice cream and all the rest of the stuff! You get shagged financially but you'll have had the "complete experience" of being a fan at Yankee stadium

I think you will have a lot of fun, so long as you aren't a Red Sox fan!!
    Enjoy the Yankee game and Enjoy visiting my home city!

PS: If you want to see a less expensive but still very fun baseball game, consider going to see either the Brooklyn Cyclones (a Mets minor league club) or the Staten Island Yankees (minor club of you guessed it) for a great night, more intimate surroundings, nice family atmosphere and more affordable everything. I would recommend the Cyclones over the SI Yankees only because you can add to your fun by riding the real Cyclone ROLLER COASTER (the team's namesake) which is still rated as having one of the steepest drops of all rollercoasters - you can ride two times in a row for a special price. Then, there are arcade games, more rides, go carts (I so did my best race car manouvering and led the whole pack!!) and Nathans, the most famous place for a hotdog in ALL of NYC. My Dad grew up in Brooklyn (and I live here now!) and all he ever wants when he comes back to Brooklyn is to have some Nathans Hot Dogs; then he tells me all the stories he's told me before about how he came to Coney Island all the time as a boy - yeah, Dad, you mentioned it once or ten thousand times, lol
    Thank you so much for the information! Yes, the Bronx Zoo is what I meant. So I'm assuming that you're saying we can get from the Zoo to Yankee Stadium on the subway, right? You know, I think maybe we will just eat at the Stadium and, as you say, have a "true baseball experience." I'm actually not a baseball fan at all, but I just thought that going to a Yankees game would be a lot of fun. (We have only a minor league team here in Salt Lake City -- nothing to even compare to the Yankees.) I'll definitely be cheering for the Yankees.

As for the roller coaster... Only if you'll meet me there for the ride. I LOVE roller coasters -- the bigger, faster, and steeper the better. Unfortunately, it's just about all I can do to get my husband on a ferris wheel. Over the years, I've pretty much given up on him. (He's lucky he has so many other good qualities!)

This will be my fifth trip to New York, and my hubby's first. He's convinced we're going to get mugged -- or worse. I'm getting SO excited! Only 15 more days. New York is the most awesome city in the country! Thanks again for all your help.

Kathryn

Take the water taxi to a Yankee game is essentially a floating tailgate party. They sell food on the boat and of course sell some beers.The arrival at Yankee Stadium is a half hour before the game, giving you time to save, buy dogs, and get their seats.

This will be my fifth trip to New York, and my hubby's first. He is satisfied we are going to get mugged -- or worse. I am getting SO excited! Only 15 more days. New York is the most awesome city in the country! Thanks again for all of your help.

I once had visitors coming to visit from England......one of the group, a teenager, assumed we all had guns - I could not stop laughing! She had a ball visiting NYC! They came back again the next year with the entire family

As for muggings and such, crime overrall in NYC has been brought to its lowest levels in decades and especially beefed up, mostly for our protection since 9/11 and it's working.

Today, I took 2 different subway lines at different times of the day and walked a good way down Broadway in lower Manhattan. I saw so many Police on the Street it was almost too much. When I bought my chocolate croissant, there was a high ranking officer on the street (yep, they have to do it now too) and then two blocks later, saw three officers congregating together chatting. I wanted to tell them that the big guy was not far off, but then I thought - whatever.........they're there, it's all good.

I can understand why someone who has never be to NYC might believe things they see on TV dramas and movies.....it's made to look gritty but typically the only people who have trouble, are the ones who generally always get into trouble and they are in their own world, where tourists don't go and they just run with losers - they don't prey on NYC people. THAT happens everywhere, any city.

Mostly, we have one of the greatest cities in the world and it has endless possibilities, surprises, history - whatever you are looking for, it's here. Even kayaking. Yes I said kayaking. Simple advice for ANY city? Just use common sense and then go ahead and take the city by storm! Make it YOUR city!
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    HostColleen

I will follow your suggestion and there may only drive and Park, then hit the road right after the match. We are heading towards up in CT and Rotary International on Wednesday so we probably get to 95 again on the north to feel that we stop.

For an alternative, I've found that a Free Ferry is being offered from South Street Seaport. Looks like a great way to gear up for the game! Good for Mets games as well...

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/Rides/baseball-ferry

Good find Bobby Sox!

I live in the city and was not aware of this but lately, the city is just trying to find ways to make us pay MORE for everything and not making a big deal of anything that is free! It seems Delta Airlines is perhaps subsidizing this for now. There are however, $1 per person online reservation fee and only a maximum of 4 people limit per request. Very few walkups can board the taxi right at the South Street Seaport and NO ONE can board at the 35th street stop. Therefore to ensure you have a place on board when going to a game, be sure to have made online reservations and bring a printout of your confirmation. Again, it's only $1 per person in order to make your online reservation.

One thing to note however is that there is NO RETURN SERVICE provided via Watertaxi for when you leave the game which mostly will put fans back on the train; necessitating a ride on the #7 train from Citifield back into Manhattan and the "D" train when leaving Yankee Stadium so bring your MetroCards with you to the game. As for taking the trains back, there are two strategies to consider in order to avoid the mass exodus and crowded trains. You can either leave a bit early if we are winning, though if you're seeing your home town play us, then you may well want to stay - depends upon the score and how apparent it may seem who will win. Alternatively, you may wish to let everyone make their mad dash to the train stations and just wait for the next train or two for a better ride back.

In addition to some convenience and a transit savings, you'll also have one of the best experiences that exist in Manhattan and that is a nice boat ride up the East River and all along the East side of Manhattan Island and that is truly a wonderful experience when visiting NYC!

No snacks or drinks can be brought on board the boat, but neither can they be brought into either stadium. Refreshments and snacks are available at stadiums of course, it's just somewhat pricey. Nevertheless, there is still nothing like actually being at a game, it's just so much fun and excitement and worth a little extra splurge for all baseball fans!

Hopefully some folks can use this water taxi en route to the game! Thanks again Bobby Sox!
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    HostColleen

+ Reply to Thread