+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction Time

Share/Bookmark

Default Introduction Time

Hi everyone, I've posted a few times but never introduced myself. I currently live in the Washington DC Metro area but I will always consider myself a Philly girl because that's where I grew up and I hope to live there again.

I've primarily done a lot of domestic travel around the eastern half of the US, but I finally made it to California for a very brief trip last year.

My favorite place is the Chesapeake Bay, we always vacationed there every summer when I was growing up. I love camping and I'm hoping to be able to buy a teardrop style camper soon so I can go visit some of our national parks.

I've dreamed about international travel since I was pretty young. I had a neighbor, Nora, who was the eccentric "spinster" next door, she was totally old school but I had no idea just how neat she was until I got older. She married young, divorced, decided never to marry again and had no children. She had her PhD and used to teach. She decided one day that I needed to be "gentled" so she arranged for me to read to her after school once a week. (I was the tomboy terrorizing the neighborhood) I had to "dress" and I guess she hoped to refine me. Didn't quite work, BUT, she did have an effect on me.

She used to have me read from her books which at the time I would've preferred to be hung up by my toenails. They were about Egypt, and why did I care about Egypt when I could be out playing? She was some sort of Egyptologist, I really wish I knew more details but sadly anyone who knew or remembered her has passed. I just remember her showing me black and white photos of her on digs and research trips and her books were meant for the academic world. This was the 1970's.

Still, thanks to her I did take one thing away - I wanted to travel and see everything and learn about different cultures. I finally jumped into traveling in 2010, my finances could afford it and I discovered that a local university allows residents to go on their annual trips abroad. Turns out it was roughly half working adults and half students - and I had a great time! I went to China in 2010 (Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong) and then last year I went to Russia (Moscow and St. Petersburg), Tallinn Estonia, and Helsinki Finland.

I had to take this year off to let my bank account recover but next year I'm booked on a cooking and wine tour of Italy - Rome, Venice, Milan, and Florence. I'm especially excited about this because I'm Italian, and though I had hoped that my first trip to Italy would be with my Dad (who always wanted to go) unfortunately he passed rather suddenly almost 5 years ago. It will be bittersweet but I can't wait!

Default Re: Introduction Time

That's a lovely story you tell.....I wish you well in your travels.
    One of my favourite books is the James Michener one about the Chesapeake Bay.....I hope you manage to find time to camp there before your glorious trip to Italy.
    Jo.
    Jo.

Jo that brought back a great memory that I had forgotten, my Dad had that HUGE hardbound book proudly displayed at our house. I have no idea if he ever read the whole thing but I remember it being a part of our family room. I wonder what happened to that book when we cleared the house...

It's one of those books I keep to re-read....I loved his "Centennial", too. OH is reading his one about South Africa, where he lived as a child. One of the great story tellers!
    Jo.
    Jo.

Hi JDV! What a great story -- glad you're getting a chance to travel now. My dad is a sailor and he spends a lot of time on the Chesapeake. Beautiful area.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

+ Reply to Thread