Poll: What's your least favorite thing about staying in hotels?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: The Worst Thing About Hotels

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: The Worst Thing About Hotels

What's your least favorite thing about staying in hotels? Vote in our poll!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: The Worst Thing About Hotels

It's almost not worth mentioning but bad lighting annoys me; usually, when it's florescent. It's only ever happened 3 times, coincidentally in France but twice I stayed at the budget friendly "etap" hotels for one night stays at Paris CDG and in Blois. The other time was a 3*** in Paris near the Eiffel tower in the 7th, and the hotel was fine (bkfst included; a MUST!) but the lighting was just awful. If I don't like a place, I just split!!

I think maybe for business travelers, the least favorite thing about hotel rooms is hotel rooms!

But on some level, it might be handy to have one of those black light things to check the bed cover - anyone ever see what the guys did to the "Five Diamond Award" inspector in the film "Ocean's 13?" It was sabotage, but well............I like to think most hotels take care of things (the poor guy gets "rewarded" at the end with a programmed slot machine payout of $11Mill)

I don't like waking in the night and discovering that we're next to an air conditioning fan or noisy boiler in a back yard. The noise seems to be magnified in the early hours.
    I've stayed in hotels in Spain where the local lads seem to spend all night racing round on scooters; one Spanish hotel had the large rubbish lorries calling around 2am.
    A budget hotel we were in a year back, looked on to a MacDonald's, and the open air seating was the meeting place for young people after the pubs and clubs closed, along with their noisy, beaten up vehicles. We really couldn't sleep- and there was no kettle in the room to make a cuppa, so that hotel's off our list for ever!
    Jo.
    Last edited by jocap; 05-04-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
    Jo.

Oh gosh Jo, you made me think of a hotel that was actually well situated with a view and balcony overlooking Lake Lugano BUT the hotel had an old elevator that seemed to echo throughout whenever it was on the move. Thankfully, it was a small hotel and hence, not terribly busy but I do remember how annoying it was in the early morning.

Then there was the tiniest hotel room I'd ever been in, near Tokyo, Japan but at least we weren't stuck in one of those sleeper pods some of the business men use. It really freaked me out, but I'd heard of the "size" issue re: Tokyo before....homes with like 300 sq feet and the challenge to utilize ALL the space. When we arrived at night, there was no place open to eat in the hotel - too tired to venture out after a long flight - and so it came to eating random Japanese items from the vending machine; it kind of felt like playing slots in Vegas. Luckily in the morning we had a glorious breakfast in a Japanese garden setting.

I guess coming from NYC, one thing that is always hard for me to accept when traveling, either international or domestic, is that there isn't always a "24 hour" something nearby. I've since learned to keep things in my room, just in case!

The only time I was up all night from noise was on my very first trip to Europe and in my otherwise quiet hotel in Paris in the 1st, and evidently a certain famous football player was in a car chase in LA and the entire hotel was watching it on CNN! I shut mine off after getting quickly bored; everyone else stayed up all night so I could only eventually fall asleep if I put back on my TV; it was better than listening to TV echoes. Luckily, that was a one time thing...that hotel is otherwise amazing!

The French connection with that car chase? I was taking advanced French classes at Alliance Francaise in NYC when THAT court verdict came in...my walkman had a radio and everyone in class wanted me to listen and reveal. Quelle surprise!!!

That made me laugh!
    Unusual noises at night time are always magnified when you're away from home....when we lived in a remote spot, what kept our guests awake were the owls......
    Jo.
    Jo.

Sleeping away from home..........I think hearing owls might be nice, but they are nocturnal so that could probably get weird; some of them really do more than just hoot - they screech!! Of course too many crickets can be quite annoying as well, june bugs........well basically I don't like bugs.

Where I am now, despite it being NYC, is very quiet and the only thing we ever here are fog horns (when needed!) as we live along the entrance to NY Harbour. Not so great? Sirens.......NOT uncommon here; kind of like late night Sanitation pick-ups in Spain!

Soooo, I kind of need quiet now in order to sleep anywhere. Ironic given that I grew up right at final approach to JFK airport here in NYC and the planes never stopped, day and night, with the Concorde 4 times a day........I think I have permanent hearing loss because we had to turn up the TVs so loud to hear! Reminds me of the OJ night back in Paris, now that I'm talking about TVs.

But a lot of times, I come back to my hotel rooms (or friends hosting me) and generally pass out from exhaustion due to an exciting day out and about!

The time we spent in a gasthaus in the Bavarian countryside *might* have been noisy - heaven knows what could have been out there - but the biergarten usually ensured sleep would happen quick and steady!! (plus schnapps) Who knew about German beer? Never again.......

Cheers!

Oh, the duvets. Yuck. If I need them for warmth, I try to keep them mostly on my lower body and not get them anywhere near my face!

Host Bonjour, good point about the lighting. It's bizarre how dim some hotel rooms are.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

+ Reply to Thread