Poll: What's your biggest travel goal for 2013?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: Travel Goals for 2013

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: Travel Goals for 2013

What's one thing you're dying to do in your 2013 travels? Vote in our poll!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: Travel Goals for 2013

As often happens, sometimes more than one answer to the question. However, something I've been thinking of doing is re-visiting an opportunity I had 10 years ago to teach Business English in Italy; the timing wasn't quite right back then. Now, it's different and the idea is highly appealing; whether or not the option will exist, I've yet to inquire. BUT, if I did it, it would enable me to likely visit a country I've not yet been to AND perhaps give me a chance to bring someone special to a very favorite place of mine....one I actually sort of vowed to not return to alone ever again. In all this, it's quite likely I'd learn another skill....so all that remains is to renew my EU passport, make inquiries with the schools and then decide if it's really right to do NOW, and 2013 could be a righteous travel year!

Here's hoping!

Oh, Colleen- I really hope you go for it....perhaps you'll be able to nip over and see us then! Have a wonderful Christmas, and good luck looking for that new way.....
    Jo.

Well I am still on my multi home exchange trip to Australia. July and August will find me in Brittany, France, and Salamanca, Spain, on home exchanges. That trip will finish with 3-4 days in Madrid, as I've never been there. Mid Nov. to mid Dec. 2013 will find me on a home exchange in Costa Rica. That is probably enough for 2013 except for weekend/short term exchanges nearby (I live in a close in suburb of Washington, DC. I am also retired.

Colleen, sounds fantastic! As do your plans, LSKahn. As for me, I'm hoping maybe this will be the year we go to the Galapagos! Major bucket list trip. But we'll see how the finances shake out. Back-up plan: national parks of Utah, which would also be very cool.
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I would love to go to the Galapagos someday. That would have to be a package tour as there is very little home exchange activity in South America. I would be very lucky indeed to get one in Equador, and, of course, there is no possibility on the Galapagos Islands themselves. I want to sell my house eventually and, if I do, Iwould have a bit of spare cash, but mortgage money is tight for new home buyers, so I threw in the towel recently and refinanced. I now have to stay put for at leasr 3 years.

So far I have always been in different destinations. It is rather rare to go to the same place again. But for next year the point is to go to a place that I have been before. Place that gave such a sweet taste on the first visit so to experience it all over again. Will see how it will work out. The destination is Melbourne.

Melbourne (and I presume you mean Australia) is a great place. If you are interested in theater and the arts, it has more to offer than Sydney. I home exchanged in Melbourne a couple of years ago.

Galapagos is definitely a "bucket list" stop for me and I'm worried I won't get there in time before they shut off access to the islands, which they sometimes mumble about doing. I sure do hope you get there soliteyah!

LSK has a fabulous year of awesome destinations lined up in Home Exchanges, sounds awesome.

And yes Jo, soliteyah, I really do 1) feel ready, need a BIG change 2) have spent enough time in Europe, especially not in hotels to know that it's not "like a vacation" because that's exactly what I want 3) I can still post here, as I've done overseas all the time - on a few continents! 4) I've just totaled my car and probably NEED to go live someplace I don't need to drive; cause I don't want to! Sure there's insurance money, blah...(yes, I'm OK just a sore head and nose) but I've been driving ooooh, 25+ years now and I'm sick of it. But I'm more exited about the possibilities and the changes that this could bring. It's why I spent over 1 1/2 years getting my EU citizenship, because I've dreamt of this. So all that remains is polishing up my resume, "getting my papers in order" (love old movies) contacting the school, and see what comes about. If it's meant to be, it will be

Jo, you know I'll be there....make my way up from Hampshire via BritRail........with treats for Sally & her people

Keep you all posted and thanks for the good wishes, encouragement

Hampshire to Seascale- we do it all the time, for our cruises often start in Southampton. A few changes, but manageable....looking forward to your next instalment!
    Jo.

Yeah, the Galapagos definitely wouldn't be a home exchange opportunity! We're looking at cruises and trying to figure out the best one we can afford. So many choices...

Colleen, sorry about the totaled car, ugh. Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Lots of luck!
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

+ Reply to Thread