Poll: Which of these common travel ailments have you suffered from? (Check all that apply.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: Travel Ailments

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: Travel Ailments

Which of these common travel maladies have you suffered from? Vote in our poll!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: Travel Ailments

I don't usually get sick or jet lagged, but I have on more than one occasion had horrific allergic reactions to mosquito bites abroad. My most vivid memory of visiting Bulgaria is stumbling into a tiny pharmacy where someone thankfully translated well enough for me to score the local version of Benadryl, the instructions for which I could not read (lovely cyrillic alphabet). Now, I bring bug spray everywhere I go!

I have a history of occasional colitis and almost always get an attack on a longer holiday. The cause is eating stuff I should not eat. I always carry medication to resolve. I always get jet lag if the time change is more than 2-3 hours. I am flying home from Australia in a week. Talk about jet lag. . . .

As I've got older, I've started to suffer from jet lag after overnight flights- the last being from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, which landed in Manchester at 6am- but of course, I was ready for bed with a midnight clock! We reached home around 11am, and fell into bed.....and our dog sitter arrived an hour later with two excited dogs! She stayed for a long chat, during which time my OH managed to tip a mug of coffee all down my newly painted walls...
    I've been struck with homesickness in some poverty stricken countries; I find it difficult to accept the misfortunes of some others, and, unable to do anything nor discuss it, find myself longing for my own country.
    Jo.

All but altitude sickness and heatstroke -- just give me a few more trips, right?
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I didn't even know it existed until I did some searching ... but I get what I call reverse sea-sickness. I am fine while on a cruise ship, but a few hours after disembarking I am dizzy and a bit off kilter. It usually lasts for about 5 days. I think the medical term is mal de debarquement.
    Last edited by JennK; 01-15-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JennK View Post
    I didn't even know it existed until I did some searching ... but I get what I call reverse sea-sickness. I am fine while on a cruise ship, but a few hours after disembarking I am dizzy and a bit off kilter. It usually lasts for about 5 days. I think the medical term is mal de debarquement.
    I had it just the once, Jenn....I lurched into the bathroom in the middle of the night and sent everything flying- glass bottles, cans- the lot! I don't know what was different about that cruise, but it took me 2 or 3 days to recover properly.
    Jo.

I have actually had something similar to that post-cruise unsteadiness after a really long plane flight -- I often feel like I'm still moving.

It's never lasted more than a few hours though. Is there anything that helps the condition when it lasts so many days? Maybe something for motion sickness?
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I believe that some doctors prescribe something similar to sea sickness pills if it's long lasting- in a few, rare cases it continues for weeks and even longer.
    I feel it more after long car or train journeys, but it's never lasted for longer than a day or two.
    Jo.

I have heard people use seasick meds for it but I just deal. It never really effects me badly enough so that I can't get through my day.
    JennK
    Independent Traveler - Community Support
    Click to email me

+ Reply to Thread