Poll: How do you use postcards? (Check all that apply.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll of the Week: Postcards

Share/Bookmark

Default Poll of the Week: Postcards

Do you mail postcards to friends, collect them yourself or disregard them altogether? Vote in our poll!
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Poll of the Week: Postcards

I love postcards! I keep some for display or to put in photo albums. I have done something neat before a few of our Disney Cruise or World trips. I get in contact, through message boards, with someone who is cruising or going before we do, and they will send a postcard to the kids "from Mickey" or some other character ... letting the kids know that they can't wait to see them soon. Then I grab some postcards while I am on vacation and will do the same for someone in the future It is a cute way to get kids excited for vacation - and I would probably try to do it for wherever we go next, not just Disney.
    JennK
    Independent Traveler - Community Support
    Click to email me

I voted for "I mail them to friends and family," though to be honest, I don't mail as many as I used to. I still try to send some to people I know who really appreciate them, like my grandmother, or when I go someplace really exotic or special. When my mom and I were in Italy, we sent my grandmother a couple of postcards!

I'm with TravelMel on this. years ago, it was the done thing to send all your acquaintances a card, but with the advent of emails, mobile phones etc, it's not too hard to keep in touch- and going on holiday is no longer a once a year treat, to be boasted of (just had a fortnight in Spain, old sport.....oh, you managed a weekend in Blackpool.....? "
    Postcards were vital to my parents when they went into a nursing home; I made sure they had at least one picture postcard from me every week, even though I wasn't away- and I encouraged everyone I knew to send them. Otherwise they'd see the postie arrive each morning, and there was nothing for them....
    Jo.

I never bother with them. Postcards are just another hassle. You buy them, you need stamps, need to find a post office and have to take a list of names and addresses with you. Then you have to write all them out. If I need to communicate with anyone in an emergency, I just use email.

Sometimes I'll buy one, if it has a great picture on it, of a place I've visited.

I buy postcards for the awesome churches and historical places in Europe because you just can't get some of the shots that have been professionally photographed. Plus you can rarely get a shot without loads of tourists.

I agree with Newtownsqkitty. There are many great scenes which my little point and shoot camera is not capable of capturing or doing justice to so I buy postcards of those scenes if I can find them. They go in my albums with my travel photos.

The bulletin board over my desk at work is completely plastered with postcards! I have a lot more at home, languishing in a box somewhere (alas). I generally try to mail postcards to my parents while I'm gone, but that's it. As a kid I'd write to all my friends as well, but that's way too many addresses to keep track of...
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

+ Reply to Thread