+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Help...Moving to Maui

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1

    Default Help...Moving to Maui

    A friend and I are planning on moving to Maui in about 4-5 months. We are trying to locate as much info as possible. Where are the better places to live (someone told us the west or south Maui)? We really were looking into renting an apt or a house 2 bedroom on the beach or at least very near the beach for a cheap/reasonable price. Is this even possible, and if so what is the average rent like? Are jobs hard to find once your there or should we try to set something up before hand. We are currently in Chicago,IL and are planning on just picking up and leaving. Is it possible to find a place to live and a job in a short period of time? Is it difficult to be accepted by the locals? Any websites or info for any type of Maui information would be very helpful. Thank You!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    838

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Hello,
    I know you are planning to move to Maui; however the following website might give you a start on finding out information about the island:
    http://www.visitmaui.com
    Then you might also try a Google search for Living in Maui. This may or may not provide specifics, but it could lead you to some information.
    Sincerely,
    Host Schmelz
    U. S. Board Moderator
    Independent Traveler

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maui
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiCole4579
    A friend and I are planning on moving to Maui in about 4-5 months. We are trying to locate as much info as possible. Where are the better places to live (someone told us the west or south Maui)? We really were looking into renting an apt or a house 2 bedroom on the beach or at least very near the beach for a cheap/reasonable price. Is this even possible, and if so what is the average rent like? Are jobs hard to find once your there or should we try to set something up before hand. We are currently in Chicago,IL and are planning on just picking up and leaving. Is it possible to find a place to live and a job in a short period of time? Is it difficult to be accepted by the locals? Any websites or info for any type of Maui information would be very helpful. Thank You!!
    Here are some websites you can try:

    http://home.att.net/~keith.martin/vhawaii.html

    http://www.mauiholm.org/ohana/mauimove.html

    http://www.hawaiidatabooks.com/maui/newf1.html

    The web is really your best resource for
    finding out about the islands of Hawaii,
    and the atmosphere here.

    Also, when considering moving to another
    area, it is good to read the local newspaper
    and see what is happening and get an
    idea of the jobs available.

    http://www.mauinews.com

    is one place to start.

    Hope this helps.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Hello, I am from Maui (now living in Tokyo for the time being) and I thought I could offer you some advice (my family and many friends still live there). This is not meant to sound like some kind of negative speech but is a condensed version of the REAL truth that you probably wont hear anywhere else.

    There are no "better places" to live in Maui. Its all wonderful. I just depends on what you want and maybe where you work. There is no public transportation in Maui, you will need a car. I take that back, there is some new bus operating on a very limited route but like the others that have come and gone because of the costs, it likely wont last long. Its only been running for a few months now. It doesnt go to all the major living areas. Even if you can walk to work it is highly unlikely you will live also close enough to walk to a supermarket or anywhere else you want to go.
    It sounds like you want to be very close to the ocean. Well anywhere you go can never be more than 3 miles (as the crow flies) from the sea. Places on the beach are EXPENSIVE. In the last few years the property values have more than doubled and likewise the property taxes went up so rentals are expensive on the beach or not. To get a STUDIO apartment on the Westside, across the street from the beach in an older building you will pay $900 or more. That is considered reasonable these days. On the beach, $1500- $2000 for a studio or semi-studio. Away from the beach, you may find a studio for $800 - $1000. For a 1 bedroom, you can start at $1200 and sky is the limit from there. A 2 bedroom or a house? You will pay $1500 to $2000 minimum and $3000 minimum or more to be on the beach in a house, actually, $3000 would be a deal for being on the water. Even if you are in the older tract homes up on the hillside in Lahaina, which is a VERY local neighborhood and you will most likely not feel welcome in at least in the beginning, you will find nothing under $1000 if you are even lucky to find that. You may find less of the "local" vibe in South Maui. There are more mainland transplants there. And for what you get, for anywhere you will live, be prepared for a real change in the way you live. It is island style. The place will not be new or have the same level of "interior" you are used to in Chicago (unless you pay ALOT and live in some of the places on the golf course on the Westside or south in Wailea). There is a 99% chance you will not have airconditioning anywhere you live and there is no winter in Hawaii. Even if you try to find something cheaper in South Maui (Kihei), you and your friend will likely both have to work 2 jobs to pay the rent and still be able to eat.
    Also if you dont like the outdoors living indoors with you sometimes, youd better think about that too (large flying ****roaches that normally stay outside, the DREADED Hawaiian centipede that WILL get into your house no matter what you do and sometimes crawl into bed with you and you just hope you dont get bit, geckos which are mostly welcome and big hopping cane spiders, to name the most common visitors). You likely wont read about any of these things in the guides you may find in some of the links others have posted or on websites advising about moving to Hawaii.
    Jobs are not hard to find but you will have to work hard for the price of living in Paradise, it cost 2-3x the national average to live in Hawaii. Things are more expensive, all things. The jobs are mostly ALL travel industry related. You will likely work in a hotel, a restaurant or maybe at a shop selling goods in the tourist areas. You could get one of these kinds of jobs the first week you are there, but it wont be a career. It will just to make ends meet. Almost everyone I know in Maui works 2 jobs and 6 days a week, including my 63 year old mother. I would be shocked if you could set up a job before arriving, it just doenst work that way there. Also many employers are reluctant to hire "newcomers" because they just dont last. The average turn over for people such as yourselves is 18 months, I mean, from the time they arrive to start living their dream in Maui till the time they run back home.
    Its possible to find a place to live right away if you have money. If you are looking for reasonable or cheap, it will take time. You will most definately have to lower your standards and typically people move 3x's or more in the first year or two looking for the right place. I
    It is getting more and more difficult to be accepted by the locals. You will have a better time of it if you are of Asian decent. Sorry to say, but that is the way it is. Maui is like a small town and as more and more Mainlanders come with money and buy up the properties/homes, the local people can no longer afford to live there. It's actually a very sad situation in Maui right now. There is not enough housing and any only very few new construction can take place because the lack of land and because the very tight regulations that take years and years to get through. Its not attractive for builders, they cant make money.
    Also I dont know what age you are but its kinda boring for younger people. There is relatively no nightlife. There is only one live music place (aside from the concerts that are at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center from time to time). Even Front Street in Lahaina peters out by 11pm on the weekends (there is one place there that alot of later night drinking and dancing on a small dance floor goes on nearly every night).
    I would suggest to you Oahu or even the big island, like Kona, for someone new to the islands. Unless you are a hard worker, have alot of cash to go thru in the beginning, dont mind some discrimination you are likely not used to and are into a life that has alot of contact with the outdoors, welcome or not, then you could save yourself some trouble if you re-think your idea of Maui or give it some good thought.
    Have you even ever been to Maui? A trip to assess the situation would be a good idea, still, you dont know how life will really be while just on a vacation. Everyday life there is just like anywhere else, full of problems and joys. You will not feel like you are on vacation everyday, but of course, the scenery is spectacular. Some miss the city though. We only just got a Costco, a Borders and a Walmart in the last few years. That was and is a big deal for Mauians!
    Also, you should read the Maui News to see for yourself what kind of jobs are out there and the housing situation. The Maui News is the only paper and really the only way to find a job and a place to live in Maui.

    www.mauinews.com

    One last point, if you want to fit in to the community you should know something about Asian cultures. Hawaiian culture is a mix of Hawaiian and lots of Asian cultures. If you dont, your presence will be uncomfortable to many, though they might not say it to your face. It can be quite a shock to some and you could feel isolated.

    Some people dont mind all this, dont mind the tradeoffs and fit in well, but mostly the locals are the ones who are used to this kind of life and will be there for the long run.

    Aloha,
    Mauitdn

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Other than visitmaui.com, go to the Maui Vacation website. It may seem like you'll be moving there to work and live, but it is a vacation from the rest of the world. Check for restaurants, activities, and local information.

    Oh, and Don't piss off the locals. It's all about respect. If you're gonna move here, you need to treat everyone kindly with Aloha.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiCole4579 View Post
    A friend and I are planning on moving to Maui in about 4-5 months. We are trying to locate as much info as possible. Where are the better places to live (someone told us the west or south Maui)? We really were looking into renting an apt or a house 2 bedroom on the beach or at least very near the beach for a cheap/reasonable price. Is this even possible, and if so what is the average rent like? Are jobs hard to find once your there or should we try to set something up before hand. We are currently in Chicago,IL and are planning on just picking up and leaving. Is it possible to find a place to live and a job in a short period of time? Is it difficult to be accepted by the locals? Any websites or info for any type of Maui information would be very helpful. Thank You!!
    The locals on Maui are about the most accepting of any in all the islands. Maui is very expensive to live. Work does not pay well. It it cheaper to live in Kahalui, but then of course you are living like regular people, not tourists.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Kahalui is not very nice. You will be more comfortable in Kehei in my opion

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    mauitdn,

    thank you for your detailed post

    My husband is interviewing at the hospital in Maui (he is a doctor), the job is good, he is a diver, so he really want to move there. We have been to Maui last year, so we know how it is.
    I am really scared of isolation--we live in New York right now, i work at a bank, i know that I will not have a career there. I am a very social person--i dont care about going out to bars and clubs, but i need friends and people to hang out with. How tough is it for newcomers? Would I feel very isolated? Would be possible for me to make friends?
    the cost of living does not scare us--we are in manhattant now, and it is insanely expensive, Maui will be cheaper regardless. What scares me is that I will be lonely.
    i am really scared to go, but i cant tell my husband not to go--the job is good for him.
    going to Oahu is not an option--oahu jobs pay much less for him.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    also, i forgot to mention--we are not american, we are Russian. i dont think it would be any easier for us to fit in though

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by mauitdn View Post
    Hello, I am from Maui (now living in Tokyo for the time being) and I thought I could offer you some advice (my family and many friends still live there). This is not meant to sound like some kind of negative speech but is a condensed version of the REAL truth that you probably wont hear anywhere else.

    There are no "better places" to live in Maui. Its all wonderful. I just depends on what you want and maybe where you work. There is no public transportation in Maui, you will need a car. I take that back, there is some new bus operating on a very limited route but like the others that have come and gone because of the costs, it likely wont last long. Its only been running for a few months now. It doesnt go to all the major living areas. Even if you can walk to work it is highly unlikely you will live also close enough to walk to a supermarket or anywhere else you want to go.
    It sounds like you want to be very close to the ocean. Well anywhere you go can never be more than 3 miles (as the crow flies) from the sea. Places on the beach are EXPENSIVE. In the last few years the property values have more than doubled and likewise the property taxes went up so rentals are expensive on the beach or not. To get a STUDIO apartment on the Westside, across the street from the beach in an older building you will pay $900 or more. That is considered reasonable these days. On the beach, $1500- $2000 for a studio or semi-studio. Away from the beach, you may find a studio for $800 - $1000. For a 1 bedroom, you can start at $1200 and sky is the limit from there. A 2 bedroom or a house? You will pay $1500 to $2000 minimum and $3000 minimum or more to be on the beach in a house, actually, $3000 would be a deal for being on the water. Even if you are in the older tract homes up on the hillside in Lahaina, which is a VERY local neighborhood and you will most likely not feel welcome in at least in the beginning, you will find nothing under $1000 if you are even lucky to find that. You may find less of the "local" vibe in South Maui. There are more mainland transplants there. And for what you get, for anywhere you will live, be prepared for a real change in the way you live. It is island style. The place will not be new or have the same level of "interior" you are used to in Chicago (unless you pay ALOT and live in some of the places on the golf course on the Westside or south in Wailea). There is a 99% chance you will not have airconditioning anywhere you live and there is no winter in Hawaii. Even if you try to find something cheaper in South Maui (Kihei), you and your friend will likely both have to work 2 jobs to pay the rent and still be able to eat.
    Also if you dont like the outdoors living indoors with you sometimes, youd better think about that too (large flying ****roaches that normally stay outside, the DREADED Hawaiian centipede that WILL get into your house no matter what you do and sometimes crawl into bed with you and you just hope you dont get bit, geckos which are mostly welcome and big hopping cane spiders, to name the most common visitors). You likely wont read about any of these things in the guides you may find in some of the links others have posted or on websites advising about moving to Hawaii.
    Jobs are not hard to find but you will have to work hard for the price of living in Paradise, it cost 2-3x the national average to live in Hawaii. Things are more expensive, all things. The jobs are mostly ALL travel industry related. You will likely work in a hotel, a restaurant or maybe at a shop selling goods in the tourist areas. You could get one of these kinds of jobs the first week you are there, but it wont be a career. It will just to make ends meet. Almost everyone I know in Maui works 2 jobs and 6 days a week, including my 63 year old mother. I would be shocked if you could set up a job before arriving, it just doenst work that way there. Also many employers are reluctant to hire "newcomers" because they just dont last. The average turn over for people such as yourselves is 18 months, I mean, from the time they arrive to start living their dream in Maui till the time they run back home.
    Its possible to find a place to live right away if you have money. If you are looking for reasonable or cheap, it will take time. You will most definately have to lower your standards and typically people move 3x's or more in the first year or two looking for the right place. I
    It is getting more and more difficult to be accepted by the locals. You will have a better time of it if you are of Asian decent. Sorry to say, but that is the way it is. Maui is like a small town and as more and more Mainlanders come with money and buy up the properties/homes, the local people can no longer afford to live there. It's actually a very sad situation in Maui right now. There is not enough housing and any only very few new construction can take place because the lack of land and because the very tight regulations that take years and years to get through. Its not attractive for builders, they cant make money.
    Also I dont know what age you are but its kinda boring for younger people. There is relatively no nightlife. There is only one live music place (aside from the concerts that are at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center from time to time). Even Front Street in Lahaina peters out by 11pm on the weekends (there is one place there that alot of later night drinking and dancing on a small dance floor goes on nearly every night).
    I would suggest to you Oahu or even the big island, like Kona, for someone new to the islands. Unless you are a hard worker, have alot of cash to go thru in the beginning, dont mind some discrimination you are likely not used to and are into a life that has alot of contact with the outdoors, welcome or not, then you could save yourself some trouble if you re-think your idea of Maui or give it some good thought.
    Have you even ever been to Maui? A trip to assess the situation would be a good idea, still, you dont know how life will really be while just on a vacation. Everyday life there is just like anywhere else, full of problems and joys. You will not feel like you are on vacation everyday, but of course, the scenery is spectacular. Some miss the city though. We only just got a Costco, a Borders and a Walmart in the last few years. That was and is a big deal for Mauians!
    Also, you should read the Maui News to see for yourself what kind of jobs are out there and the housing situation. The Maui News is the only paper and really the only way to find a job and a place to live in Maui.

    www.mauinews.com

    One last point, if you want to fit in to the community you should know something about Asian cultures. Hawaiian culture is a mix of Hawaiian and lots of Asian cultures. If you dont, your presence will be uncomfortable to many, though they might not say it to your face. It can be quite a shock to some and you could feel isolated.

    Some people dont mind all this, dont mind the tradeoffs and fit in well, but mostly the locals are the ones who are used to this kind of life and will be there for the long run.

    Aloha,
    Mauitdn
    Thanks for the great info! How are the prices of homes/food/gas etc since you posted this? We are living in Europe wanting to move to Maui next year (2009).

    Thanks again!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
    also, i forgot to mention--we are not american, we are Russian. i dont think it would be any easier for us to fit in though
    Hi Julia, we are Julia and Erik living in Kiev... did you find an answer to your questions?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Julia, hi! How can I privatly contact you? I'm coming to Maui in Jan'09 with a baby and I really need some advise! Please reply to my message!=)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Hi there! I also am in a similar situation. I will be graduating from college this May and want to travel a bit before entering the 'real world.' I have a job offer at a restaurant owned by a family friend. My best friend will be traveling with me as well. What is the best place for two recent college graduates to live in Maui? Any advice is helpful!

    Sarah

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eau Claire, Wi
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    I too will be moving to Kihei, Maui. I have found some really nice apartments on the beach for under $1500 a month and fully furnished. I was only looking on craigslist but I'm sure there are other sites that have a different selection.

    I'll be moving in june of this year by myself just to add some more life stories to my list of many so far. I'll be graduating in may as well. I'm not sure what sort of social scene is in Maui, be it crazy parties or leisurely live music venues. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and making lots of new friends. Would be nice to have someone to move out there with just to have a familiar face in a new place. I hope to find a bartending/serving job out there to make ends meet.

    Can't wait to experience this whole new place!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    I've just spent the last 10 minutes reading up on all this and it was just what I needed. My wife and I have been thinking of getting a transfer to Maui since our company has ties there. I just wanted to say thanks for this great thread and now I might start the process.
    Kam

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Help...Moving to Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by JonTex View Post
    I too will be moving to Kihei, Maui. I have found some really nice apartments on the beach for under $1500 a month and fully furnished. I was only looking on craigslist but I'm sure there are other sites that have a different selection.

    I'll be moving in june of this year by myself just to add some more life stories to my list of many so far. I'll be graduating in may as well. I'm not sure what sort of social scene is in Maui, be it crazy parties or leisurely live music venues. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and making lots of new friends. Would be nice to have someone to move out there with just to have a familiar face in a new place. I hope to find a bartending/serving job out there to make ends meet.

    Can't wait to experience this whole new place!
    Hey John Tex, I am also moving out to Maui in June by myself. I am being hooked up with a bunch of connected people out there as one of my friends had lived there for 9 years. I am coming from Philadelphia and am looking to find a roommate or 2 or 3 to make rent that much more affordable and to be able to share in this experience.

    There seems to be a lot of serving jobs available and other office based or tourism based jobs. As far as crazy parties. Thats not exactly the scene in Maui. But if your into any kind of outdoor activity in any form, that is the place. (hiking, camping, surfing, biking, etc.)

    Anyway, if you want to talk a bit more about going, who we are, and what we are looking for, you can email me at Discocat@wowmail.com. I recently graduated from university last year and have been planning a big move for some time and am ready and excited to make this move! Basically, you have to just do it and not think too much. Cheers

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 05:04 PM
  2. Maui and Oahu in Feb
    By hkolln in forum Hawaii
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 04:45 AM
  3. Teens on Maui
    By so cal barbara in forum Hawaii
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 04:36 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 11:11 AM
  5. Maui Trip
    By JEFW in forum Hawaii
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2001, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts