+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Mayan Palace Scams? HELP

Share/Bookmark

Default Re: Mayan Palace Scams? HELP

9 months later, but my credit card has been credited and this issue is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by amorquest View Post
    I wish I had done my due diligence before vacationing at Mayan Palace in Mazatlan last January. I no sooner got checked in and they were hounding me to attend their presentation. I was promised everything under the moon, them taking my existing timeshares for XX and many other promises. When I get home I find out they are trying to charge me even more money to do the transfers through their associate company. The three units they took in on trade added up to more than their asking price yet they were still charging my AMEX card a monthly payment because they had not completed their work. I have been in contact with several people who have had questionable dealings with them. In fact one pilot I met while there, tried to cancel his deal before he left but no one was available to talk to him and my sales guy was not available to answer my questions either. Since January it has been nothing but a hassle dealing with this company. They are in the middle of changing company names as well, becoming Vida, probably to fend off the bad press. Anyone else know how we can overcome these types of shady companies?

I am going to make my point clear. Mayan Palace is a SCAM! I was in cancun in october and was lured into going to their 90min presentation for discount tickets
    on excursions. To make things short, let me summarize the horrible experience I had and having with the Mayan group.
    The things your representatives tell you are LIES!
    They will use all of the information they know about you to come up with lies to suit your needs

Ex. 1
    Laureen knew that I am a golfer. She guaranteed 50% off all golf courses all around the world with the HSI membership... We confirmed this many times over the 10hour period of being at the Mayan. She clearly said it over and over again that the discount applies to all courses local and international. She was intentionally lying to us.

Ex. 2
    She exaggerated all the details about the program. She told us the essentials on how we can use the weeks we purchased but we come home to figure out that all the details have been much exaggerates to the point where nothing she said was applicable.
    1. Using the weeks outside of Mayan for exchange program with any other hotel in the world would give us twice the stay (1 week at mayan = 2 weeks elsewhere)
    2. A flat rate of $779/week applies to all hotels around the world. Since point 1, it would add up to $779/2 weeks. I tried making a reservation for a random hotel in New York City just to see if this was true through HSI and the est. came out as nearly 1000 for 3 nights stay.
    3. Lowest price for flights and cruises guaranteed. Again, she specifically said 50% off all flights.
    All the "benefits" are very limited, and from my experience none have been applicable.

Ex. 3
    One of the most upsetting lie was about the cool down period. She specifically knew that we cannot contact mayan group to cancel our contract in the 5day period (actual cool down period) as we are on vacation and we do not have internet access. So when we asked her about the cool down period, she said 14 days to make us feel safe about purchasing. We come back home after our 7day vacation and that we can no longer cancel our contract despite finding out it was a scam.

Ex. 4
    Guaranteed buybacks. I did not know what this was however she brought up this topic herself and explained to me that it is a program where we can decide to sell our timeshare. Mayan group guarantees buyback policy with original payment plus equity.

STAY away from Mayan Palace!

I take back everything I have written about Mayan Palace as all of my issues have been resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Good to know!

I am looking for any advice on how to deal with Mayan Palace, yes another idiot that signed a contract. http://www.mexicantimesharefraud.com/ - this looks like a good place to start. If you have "resolved" your complaints, did you get the contract canelled? Money back? I have traded a few e-mails with a Mexican lawyer from Texas - will look at hiring him depending on how my dealings with Mayan Palace progress - have not approached them yet, but i will spend money on a lawyer before i pay Mayan another penny.

Hi mgb,
    First, you're not an idiot! With the history of this thread, you'll see that this is not uncommon - it has happened very often and to experienced, smart travelers. Sometimes there's no out-foxing a fox. It happens.

Further, if you read back older posts, you will note that many people did finally reach settlements with Mayan Palace but most people do not seem to be able to write about it. I suspect settlement arrangements have a confidentiality clause.

It might be worth contacting some of the members that have had positive outcomes - see above from member "LETSFIGHT" and many before s/he. However, once their problems are solved, they don't seem to stay around here, and there is no way to contact them unless you can get that person to be your "friend" here. Once someone posts in this thread though, they are "subscribed" to the thread an would receive a message that there was a new post. Also, I think if you request to be someone's friend here, they will get a notice and that might enable you to contact each other. If you click on a member's "name" you'll be linked to a place where you can send a friend request. I'd try and start there because "off" the boards they may be able to tell you how to do it, what worked etc.

Don't give up and don't think that you can't do this yourself. Hiring an attorney might cost you more than you've lost.....there are provisions in Mexican laws about these types of contracts that seem to nullify them....I encourage you to scroll back through as many of these posts as you can to learn anything you can learn. With this knowledge comes power & information.....citing these laws in your calls and correspondence should get them to believe you are quite serious. In the USA when there is a Consumer Purchase problem, one of the best remedies is to write the company and CC the Attorney General's office in one's state. Since there are laws in Mexico for these types of contracts, you may well be able to utilize the Mexican legal system to your advantage. Many people DID post things that they later asked to have taken down but our policy does not permit us to do that. That's why the person above made a "retraction" instead of asking for it to be removed.

Please go back and don't give up. If enough people in this thread have found satisfactory resolutions, there is a way for you to get your own. Persistence pays and from what I can recall from earlier posts, much is mentioned of Mexican law pertaining to these types of incidents. It might take time but the sooner you contact them, the sooner the ball gets rolling. I hope we see a post from you saying "the matter has been satisfactorily resolved" soon enough.

Good luck.
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

Dear"mgb15":

Give us the opportunity to help you. Reach out to us at grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com or by telephone at 1-800-292-9446. We are certain that once you have contact with us, we can amicably find the best solution to your needs.

We urge you to reconsider your position and look forward to addressing your specific concerns. We are truly committed to customer satisfaction.

Sincerely,
    Karen Rose
    Customer Support Representative.

Last edited by Grupo Mayan; 05-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Hi Rose
    My issues have been handled to my satisfaction.
    mgb15

Mayan Palace sales tactics are hardcore and they will tell you anything you want to hear to get you into the contract and keep you in contract with them. Most of the Mayan Palace Timeshare Scams being committed by the Sales representative is that they don’t let their buyers know they have a 5 days cooling period if they wish to cancel; instead, they repeatedly tell they buyers once the contract is being sign there is no cancellation period. I invite you to read this article on how most of the mayan palace timeshare scams are being committed and how to get out of them:

http://www.timesharescam.com/blog/51...imeshare-scam/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5