View Poll Results: What are your Thanksgiving travel plans?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll be flying somewhere.

3 17.65%
  • I'll be driving somewhere.

10 58.82%
  • I'll be taking a train or other public transportation.

0 0%
  • I'll be staying home -- the party can come to me this year!

2 11.76%
  • Another option (feel free to post and explain)

2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Your Thanksgiving Plans

Share/Bookmark

Default Your Thanksgiving Plans

What are your travel plans for this Thanksgiving? Will you be braving the skies, driving to Grandma's or staying in? We want to know! Feel free to select all options that apply.
    Last edited by SarahS; 10-24-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Your Thanksgiving Plans

I will be taking a holiday cruise for the first time with a good girlfriend, onboard Freedom of the Seas. It'll be interesting to bypass the annual family gathering for Thanksgiving festivities with her and our 5,000+ shipmates (passengers and crew)! Wish me luck....

Forgot to click this in the poll, but I'm also flying (to and from Ft. Lauderdale); finding an air deal on the Sunday after Turkey Day was nearly impossible. All hail AirTran

I'll be driving quite a bit to visit with both my relatives and my boyfriend's -- but it's a small price to pay for not having to cook the turkey and fixings myself!
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

I will be traveling only a half an hour away to my parents' new home. I'm really looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving because it's in their new home ... it will be like a new spin on a familiar holiday. My mom is super excited about her double oven -- more turkey for me!!

My wife and I usually spend Thanksgiving with her family one year and then mine the next and so on. This year falls on my wife's side, which means a 10-mile drive, lots of eating, drinking and carrying on...promptly followed by napping, hangovers and more drinks. So long as we can watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation it will feel like Thanksgiving and I'll be fine.
    --TinFins

We are flying 2 hours to visit my in-laws over Thanksgiving in order to spend Christmas with my family aboard a cruise ship
    Lisa

I'll be going to Chile in early Nov. for a holiday.

For Thanksgiving, I am staying put. I generally do not like to travel during the holiday as everyone leaves on Wed. and returns Sun. Whether you go by car, train, or plane, it is always a rush and a mess. Going to visit family during the Christmas-New Year time period is easier as people travel for different pieces of that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by LSKahn
    I'll be going to Chile in early Nov. for a holiday.

For Thanksgiving, I am staying put. I generally do not like to travel during the holiday as everyone leaves on Wed. and returns Sun. Whether you go by car, train, or plane, it is always a rush and a mess.
    So very true, we made this mistake only once. To make matters worse it was the 1st Thanksgiving after 9-11. Lines out of ATL Hartsfield were out the door. We missed 3 flights, luckily we were flying to Newark so there was a flight every hour. Nerve wracking nonetheless.

Now we fly the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving and RETURN home the day after (Friday) Thanksgiving. Both are fairly light travel days and surely much much easier!
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 10-28-2006 at 01:23 PM.
    Lisa

We'll spend the week in Munich. Everything is open (museums, shops, etc.)and the American community has a Thanksgiving Dinner Dance. Flying USAirways through Philadelphia! Packing an extra carry on bag in light of the NYT article on the disaster baggage handling in Philadelphia has become. Other years the Christmas markets had already opened, but not this year. Rob

My family will be coming to us in NJ from FL the week after Thanksgiving to not only save money, but to also avoid holiday airport chaos. And, we are completely blowing off my in-laws, yeah!

My husband, two boys (ages 1 and 3), myself and our basset hound will be heading to Newport, RI and staying at the Hotel Viking from Wed through Sat for our own personal family holiday.

To avoid heinous traffic, we plan to leave Tues (even though it is less than a 5 hour drive) and stay wherever we get tired of driving or in Newport itself, if we make it. We also plan to head back Saturday and do the same thing...drive as much as we want and stay somewhere along the way if we feel like it.

Beautifully decorated mansions, an indoor pool and I don't have to cook or clean...that's a win all around for toddlers and grown-ups alike.

I'm Canadian, so I don't ACTUALLY have a Thanksgiving day holiday coming up. However, as I have to be in New Jersey the week before and the week after, I have decided to take the Thursday and Friday as holidays and spend the long weekend in New York and New Jersey.

Wednesday night I am planning on going to see the balloons get inflated for the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. Thursday I am going to go and see the parade, and try and find a place to have some turkey in NYC.

Friday, I am going to drive down to Atlantic City and spend the rest of the weekend hanging around in sad-sack AC.

The Garden State, nowhere near turnpikes or parkways

Like most of you, I'll be driving this year. Fortunately, it will just be a short jaunt to Mom and Dad's house, backroads-style to avoid the highway traffic.

The Garden State, nowhere near turnpikes or parkways

Quote Originally Posted by GregW
    Thursday I am going to go and see the parade, and try and find a place to have some turkey in NYC.
    Hey Greg, here's New York mag's guide to Thanksgiving feasts in NYC. You'll see prices, menus, the works.

http://nymag.com/guides/holidays/tha...ons/index.html

If I were looking for something inexpensive and kitshy, I'd do Ellen's Stardust Diner...if I were going to be an adult for the day, I'd probably try something else.

Have a safe and fun trip!

gobble gobble,

--K

Since most of my family are not within any reasonable driving distance - mostly out of state and mostly guaranteed to ruin the day anyway, (and still single) I am usually fortunate to be invited to share the day with some good friends. Works out much better in that I usually don't have to travel anywhere and I don't expect to be crying.

But for those with better circumstances, I hope it's a lovely day with family or on holiday etc.

hay ! i am very happy to say that this year we are going to Hong Kong. because i have never been there and this is my first time when i am going there.
    True friend are the best gift of God for human being

Quote Originally Posted by julliya View Post
    hay ! i am very happy to say that this year we are going to Hong Kong. because i have never been there and this is my first time when i am going there.
    Sounds exciting -- please come back and tell us how it goes!
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag